• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Season isn't over yet! Silber 850 in the "Tetons"

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Just a quick video from yesterday. Few hours of riding while I played hooky from work. Here is to a few more late season storms!

https://www.facebook.com/SilberTurbos/videos/1695859543840198/

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FSilberTurbos%2Fvideos%2F1695859543840198%2F&show_text=0&width=560" width="560" height="315" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

2017 G4 165 3"
2018 Gearing
2019 Silber clutching
2019 Silber exhaust setup
2018 Tom's setup
B&M Boards
SLP Mohawk Skis

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
What is the 2019 clutching?

Different ramps.

We've been playing with the helix we've got vs stock as well. Helix in the 18 kit was absolutely better on belts, but depending on boost/conditions, some found the straight 40 to bump them up in track speed (not everyone). This sled is running the 43/47 helix, 18 secondary spring (from Silber), prototype ramps and a 200/340 primary spring (only cause I was looking to bump up engagement - personal preference).

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Sounds like you have a boost leak... That is the wimpiest sounding blow off I have ever heard!

Ha.

For a number of reasons, "no".

For starters, there is no blow off valve. What you are hearing is turbo flutter or compressor surge. With the new exhaust, it might mute it a bit, but this is also a byproduct of where the GoPro was and how I adjust sound in post.

Second, logs show MAP constant with wastegate spring when barometric pressure is subtracted.

Third, my clutching is right at 8,000 - when considering what I'm throwing (weights, springs, helix) this is a good indication I have no leak

Fourth, boost leak generally shows itself down low too (sled is slow to build boost and the motor will load up)

Fifth track speed indicates "no leak" as well (50-60)

In any case, I want to see your big bad blowoff valve! Post up a video my man!

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I'm saving up for a GoPro! Good thing my sponsor gives me as much money as I want without having to have a Facebook or Instagram showing the world how good of a rider or how bad of a rider I really am... On a side note compressor surge is bad... You guys should both know that being you are turbo experts...

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
I'm saving up for a GoPro! Good thing my sponsor gives me as much money as I want without having to have a Facebook or Instagram showing the world how good of a rider or how bad of a rider I really am... On a side note compressor surge is bad... You guys should both know that being you are turbo experts...

Lmfao. ..good cover

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009

Ha.

Want to elaborate on why surge is bad? Lol.

In all seriousness, in a low boost environment on a small displacement 2 stroke twin snowmobile where its incredibly rare for a turbo to spin for more than 10,000 miles (all at low shaft speed) chasing compressor surge is a bit over the top.

In fact, every kit on the market is going to have some level of compressor surge unless you are "tuning" your BOV for a given boost level. This, along with the fact surge doesn't materially hurt reliability or performance (again, low boost, low mileage application) is why a lot of manufacturers have done away with the BOV all together.

There is actually a good thread around here of someone taking the time to "tune" their BOV to their boost level by customizing the BOV spring. After some trial and error (too soft and it'd leak, too firm and it wouldn't open enough) you could audibly hear the difference. Did the poster notice a difference in performance? I don't think so.

I can tell you having tested a multitude of BOVs, recirc or vent to atmosphere, springs etc. I can't tell a difference at all. So why bother? That said, I'm the guy running 7psi or less, maybe at 12+ things would be different.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
After a full season your looking pretty dang comfy on that sled. And it doesn't run too bad!

And I like how the new can sounds a lot, the originals have a weird note to them. New one sounds a little more crisp.

I guess im really picky when im getting picky about the sound the can makes on the kit, lol.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
After a full season your looking pretty dang comfy on that sled. And it doesn't run too bad!

And I like how the new can sounds a lot, the originals have a weird note to them. New one sounds a little more crisp.

I guess im really picky when im getting picky about the sound the can makes on the kit, lol.

The new exhaust is crisp. I was expecting something much louder when I looked at it, something I'm not a huge fan of but was pleasantly surprised. Its not quiet, but it doesn't require earplugs either.

Thanks for the kind words, I'm getting there - wish I could have had another 500 miles on the sled! No substitute for seat time. Being around some of the best in the world really helped me get up the learning curve faster than I otherwise would have.

Just to throw a wrench into things and make my life interesting I snowchecked the *other* 850. Though this is the most capable machine I've ever ridden, I'm excited to move back next year, even if it does take me half the season (again) to learn how to ride the thing.

Reading between the lines, if anyone wants a *built* Doo 850, this thing will be going on the block come May (but more realistically will be selling in September)

J

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Can you still get the quiet exhaust? Was there a performance gain with louder can? Or was it just better clutching and programing? Hate loud sleds!!

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Can you still get the quiet exhaust? Was there a performance gain with louder can? Or was it just better clutching and programing? Hate loud sleds!!

You can likely still get them if you ask really nice ;)

I agree on the front of loud sleds being annoying AF. I can tell you this sled is quieter than the Axys with the "loud" can. I don't find it over the top at all.

There is a performance gain with the free flowing downpipe/exhaust. Most however won't notice it too much.

Clutching and Programming is the biggest change.

pepperhouse

Premium Member
Jan 28, 2010
JJ
Is new pipe, clutching going to be available to purchase Seperately for us current 17 kit owners?

Premium Features