• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dedicated Snowbike or one bike for all year?

Do you swap the tires and track on and off?

• Yes. I use the same bike all year and swap the kit on and off every year.

Votes: 34 44.7%
  • No. I have a dedicated Snowbike and a different summer bike.

Votes: 35 46.1%
  • I only ride in the winter.

Votes: 7 9.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
C

Corban_White

Dec 30, 2009
I am hearing several people that recommend a dedicated snowbike and a different summer bike. Post up. What do you have?

U
Sep 12, 2010
I'd like to have a bike for each season (because where I live there is an average of 8.5 months of overlap)

But-

Snowbiking causes so much wear and damage I can't keep a machine running for more than 25-30 hours at a time. I hope to get that under control.

T

thejean

Jan 17, 2013
I did one bike for two seasons and while doable, it's a pain. The biggest thing is funding the time to convert and if you live near the mountains, one weekend you can be riding single track and next snowbiking so having a dedicated bike gives you options.

M
Jan 14, 2004
I'm leaning towards 2 bikes, IMO you want a big power bike for the snow, but for me that same bike wears me out on the dirt so something smaller and light for the single track. A person actually needs 4 bikes, a street ride, a street legal dual sport/adventure, a single track bike and a dedicated snowbike.

M5

Robster

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Sweden
So far I have been running one bike for both seasons and swapping in between seasons. But as someone said before is running a 450 4-stroke during summer when weighting 80kg and 180cm tall a lot more demanding than a 300 2-stroke.

So far I have used a wr450 -06 for both seasons and really liked it. Switched to a Husky te449 -11 this year and really like it so far during summer. More power than the yammi and more flickable. During summer I am not stoked about the close ratio tranny, but when Snowbiking it should be great. Gonna find out in december anyway.

Gonna ride this year with same bike for both seasons too, but for next year I will really look into buying a 300 2-stroke for summer use. I love really technical riding a la Romaniacs style (with my level of riding) and then the 4-stroke is too much to handle.

Anyone else have similar thoughts or experience? Then please elaborate.

J

jskattum606

Dec 3, 2007
Bozeman, MT
This year im going yz 300 2 stroke for both seasons. Lighter and easier/cheaper to rebuild hopefully it works out.

just feel the the constant high load/rpms is too much for the mx 450s valvetrain and top end.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
First year with a TS kit bolted on, and running a single bike, and I will NOT be doing that again.

1st, spring is my favorite time to go dirtbiking and sledding, fair weather, moist soil and solid base for snow riding. I have converted back and forth 3 times and now and going to be sticking to wheels for the rest of the season even though i want a few more snow rides, the hour each way is a pain for one day of riding when i wanna go dirtbiking the next.

2nd, bike setup. To make the bike work proper in the cold and snow, engine shrouding, intake mods, power delivery. I ride a 2011 yz450 and have the most agressive timing and fueling setup on it to help make it feel lively with the track on. Works great in the snow but is violently out of control on dirt as I found out on my first few serious rides back on wheels this weekend. So add reprogramming every time, etc.

It just gets more and more tedious to swap as the bike is specialized for each season especially where there is the major overlap seasons in places.

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
I have dedicated snow bikes ,,a 570 BERG and a KX 450 love them in the snow, but under no circumstance's would I want to ride either in the dirt ,,,tried it,,, the F'n Berg tried to kill me :mad2::face-icon-small-fro!!!, Love my Beta 300 2st and KTM 300 2st for dirt!!:face-icon-small-hap

swedenturbo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2009
Sweden
If you ride a turbo snowbike with modified engine such like low comp piston, turbo kit with piggyback fueling, intercooler, reinforced clutch and so on, there's a lot of work to convert to wheels. I see these modified bikes as a dedicated snowbike. I never convert my turbo bike to wheels...

Last edited:
R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
Right now I run one bike year round with about a month of downtime on either side of the season. It works but it's not ideal. I really want a dedicated bike for both summer and winter since the big 450s do not single track well (but it can be done).

T

thejean

Jan 17, 2013
I ran my 450 XCF in wet single track conditions two weekends ago. Not fun. That was just to break it in tho. Now back to the 300 for the woods for me. Just look around for a cheap 200-300 stroke for summer and then go bash the crap out of it in the woods. Keep the nice bike for winter.

N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
I'm the opposite... Nice 4 stroke for summer dirt, cheap smoker for the snow... I wouldn't subject my Husaberg to Snowbike abuse

J

jskattum606

Dec 3, 2007
Bozeman, MT
Since I'm going to take the kit off to do the bearing upgrade this year I'll run the Wr this summer, but next year I'm thinking about getting one of these for summer.

http://www.fxbikes.com/

Interesting! I see the potential in these. Little under powered for the type of riding we do but cool none the less. Wonder if they tried a liquid cooled engine in one. Much better power to weight ratio, but i guess heavier than what they got going

D

DieselTwitch

Dec 23, 2007
Gunnison, Colorado
I'd like to have a bike for each season (because where I live there is an average of 8.5 months of overlap)

But-

Snowbiking causes so much wear and damage I can't keep a machine running for more than 25-30 hours at a time. I hope to get that under control.

what are you riding that blowing up so much. I think running it as a snow bike is easier on the motor than dirt. better cooling, smother power delivery, no dirt and dust.

T

thejean

Jan 17, 2013
Agree. When you say blowing up, do you just mean faster ring wear and rebuild intervals or do you mean catastrophic failures? Big difference...

Premium Features