• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2015 Timbersled ST vs SX

E

eskimojoe77

Nov 30, 2011
Has anyone ridden both of these new kits for comparison? I've read that the 2015 SX will walk away from the 2014 ST in every snow condition, but how does it compare to the 2015 ST? The LT is sure to be in a league of its own when in the steep and deep, so I won't ask for it to be compared to the other two. I'm up here in Alaksa so any chance of seat time on the 2015 kits is out of the question, so please let me know your impressions. Thanks. P.S. Timbersled's webpage says that the geometry of the SX kit hasn't changed. The big change appears to be the different track and Fox Float 3 shocks.

Last edited:
T

thejean

Jan 17, 2013
That and they say that the new ST is almost as good as an SX so not building too many SX kits. I have researched this to absolute death (asking questions to the point of being annoying) and all I can surmise is that the SX will still need to be ridden a bit more aggressively to not get stuck as often. I've decided to go ST just because I know there is no chance I'll be doing big air like some guys and the trails are short enough that I can live with an ST on them to ensure I have the most fun possible in the fresh stuff. Having to take it easy in the trail won't ruin my day but getting stuck more often than I'd like sure could.

Edit: I haven't completely ruled out UFO either because it seems like an SX version of the ST.

Last edited:
P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
I understand where you are coming from but if you do not go long track the Sx is simply the next level. The updates to the standard kit are simply to get close to sx performance in a simpler and cheaper to produce product. Just my opinion humble as it is. I ride a SX kit and although I never did ride a 2015 any of the standard kits no mater what bike and how they were set up just do not match the ride of the SX . Now give me the new SX track in 136 and we are in business right now I have a 136 challenger on my sx kit.:face-icon-small-hap

The ST is definitely a simpler design also a advantage.

Last edited:
R
Feb 5, 2011
Priest Lake
Reasons for smaller SX build.

The consensus is most people want to or are, changing from snow to dirt.

The removal/installation of air box is more trouble.

The SX kit will not fit Yamaha (reverse pipe) or KTM's with PDS.

The '15 ST/LT's have more suspension travel and higher/forward drive axle (like the SX) They feel much better on the trail (than earlier ST/LT) and get around in the powder.

The SX with the 10.5" track feels nimble by comparison.

My favorite kit (5 different MH's to date) has been an SX but am riding a ST.

T

thejean

Jan 17, 2013
I'd love to see some video of an SX and ST side by side. Even better would be the same video with a UFO in the mix.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
I understand where you are coming from but if you do not go long track the Sx is simply the next level. The updates to the standard kit are simply to get close to sx performance in a simpler and cheaper to produce product. Just my opinion humble as it is. I ride a SX kit and although I never did ride a 2015 any of the standard kits no mater what bike and how they were set up just do not match the ride of the SX . Now give me the new SX track in 136 and we are in business right now I have a 136 challenger on my sx kit.:face-icon-small-hap

The ST is definitely a simpler design also a advantage.

How does the sx do once it is longtracked? Did it cause problems with your suspension settings at all? Was it a drastic improvement on the deeper days?

D
Apr 9, 2008
CleElum, WA
I have been riding a 2015 sense December after 3 rides on my 14 and I also had a 2013 lt on a bike here as well . I never got back on the 2013 lt and sold my 2014 st they are that different and good.the 2015 st is unbelievable you wont go rong the main difference between the 2... track width 3rd shock and price. I can not ride my 2015 st enough.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
How does the sx do once it is longtracked? Did it cause problems with your suspension settings at all? Was it a drastic improvement on the deeper days?

The sx works well with the 136 with tip up rails the footprint on hardpack is similar to the St but turns way easier. In the deep and steep it is easilie as good as the St but still not quite as good as a LT especialy for 250lb guys.
The suspension is a dream adjustabilitie is superb , did I say I love my setup.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Powdermuncher, how did you make the 136 tip up rails, or are they the lt rails? Is the sx a 2.52 pitch? Thanks

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
The rails are stock LT rails from Timbersled they are tipped up that combined with the narrower track makes for easier handling than the ST.

The sx has 2.52 drivers that is correct. Timbersled must have drivers for the other tracks that fit the SX since they use a cut down St track on the SX now.

Premium Features