• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2012 Weights?

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
what was the 10-11-m8 for weight ??? and I think if the clutches are worked out the chain case will finally get HP to the track. I hope they used an older reverse cam with a reverse notch like the HiTech kits. If it has the same i old silencer in it thats easy,,,, with an HPS can to take at least 20# out

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
Dealer just texted me from the show. Looks like the turbo is 545lbs. I don't think that makes me very happy. Not unless there is easy weight to pull off.

ummm that better be full to the brim with fulids,lunch and extra 2 gallons of gas attached.:scared::scared:

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
Yeah I agree.... but actually 545 or whatever for the turbo 4 is a good start, my apex even after all the lw goodies was around 625+/- and thats why its gone to greener pastures. Mountain sleds need to be light, 400 ish with good power (around 200) and yeah sleds that light will fold up like a pretzel if ya smack um,and run race gas, but thats part of the game, and just like any good racecar ya just repair um and don't sweat it. Its why my mod sled is mostly carbon fiber, high dollar,yeah but even with outdated chassis most guys are stunned how easy it is to ride. I ride a pro most of the time and 430ish is a good weight,needs more power but for pull and go not bad.
I was hoping cat was going to copy pro chassis somewhat with there 800 motor at around 175 hp,and 400 ish lbs...now that would sell..I have no brand loyalty at all just want the best mountain sled I can start with to mod, and I would have ordered the cat if thats what it was stock. IMHO

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
20 lbs comes off easy with a can and the rear idler wheels. Other than that, I would have to look it over to see what weight can come off. The M's were easy cause of the hood. Mesh hood was another 15 lbs.

N

newtrout

Oct 1, 2001
Central Washington
Cat just saved me some money. If they had come out with numbers closer to the rumors: 170 hp and 435 lbs, I'd probably have done my first snowcheck in years. If weight and power are both close to my 2010 M8, I'll probably sit tight. I guess we'll see if we get a chance to get them out on the snow this spring.

K

Kruchy

Sep 30, 2009
Goodsoil, SK
Cat just saved me some money. If they had come out with numbers closer to the rumors: 170 hp and 435 lbs, I'd probably have done my first snowcheck in years. If weight and power are both close to my 2010 M8, I'll probably sit tight. I guess we'll see if we get a chance to get them out on the snow this spring.
X2. I wanted to get one of these great new cats this year as well. Not sure if I could trade my M8 for a new body design and a chaincase. What happened?

800poodragon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, Montana

I have no doubt that as they get them refined a bit more by actual production time and than after everybody gets their hands on them for aftermarket and mods that they will be lighter and the power may increase....have to wait and see...They look like they have way too much effort (technology) and money invested for Cat to have a master plan that doesn't work...I think they will be a good sled.

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
I'm also disappointed that they only have industry leading power. I will not except anything less then the unreasonable rumored specs. If these things came out at 400 lbs and 200 hp everyone would still be bitching about something.

Last edited:

Stack

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Midwest
Im also disapointed that they only have industry leading power. I will not except anything less then the unreasonable rumored specs. If these things came out at 400 lbs and 200 hp everyone would still be bitching about something.

Although the 800 mill may be rated at the same 160 ish HP, I am hoping that the drivetrain will be much more efficient and that the chaincase will get more of that power to the track/ground. Even if the sled weighs the same, a more efficient and reliable drivetrain would be a win in my book.

John

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Although the 800 mill may be rated at the same 160 ish HP, I am hoping that the drivetrain will be much more efficient and that the chaincase will get more of that power to the track/ground. Even if the sled weighs the same, a more efficient and reliable drivetrain would be a win in my book.

John

Agreed, that along with cooler running, better aligned clutches should make this 800 scream all day long.

N

newtrout

Oct 1, 2001
Central Washington
I have no doubt it will be an improved sled. And probably a bit lighter by the time they reach production. So, the Pro RMK is supposed to be 439 or something, and 435 is unreasonable? Current weight estimates are right in line with...... an '05 M7 LE.....

Just saying that if they would have come out with a slight improvement on the motor they've had the last 2 years, and less weight than their '05 model, I might not have been able to resist a snowcheck. Now, we'll have to wait and see when it hits the snow..... Still stoked to see how this sled works.

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
Cat also weighs their selds with all fluids besides gas and injection oil, at least thats the way it was at the last cat show.

Premium Features