• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

04 800 rev PROBLEM CHILD

V
Jan 3, 2008
Eastern Wshington
OK, 04 800 summit rev, 162 x 2 1/4" maverick. Stock motor w/brand new vf3's. New top end w/600 miles on it. Pistons look good. 390 mains, 20 pilots. clip 2nd down from top w/shim under. Carbs cleaned last week (did not blow out jets, stupid) tips on how to blow out jets would be appreciated to.

Put a Big John clutch kit on this fall. New spring tower cap in primary also.

Sled pulled decent from bottom to 3/4 throttle. Once on the main jet it rips up till it hits 7800-8000 then the tach starts to bounce around between 7700-8000. Feels like a small child is hanging on to bumper (stole that line )

Can't get higher revs. Tried raising clickers from 3 to 5. no difference... still bouncing between 7700-8000 rpm's.
Removed pin weight, set clickers back to 3 and tried agian. no difference.... dropped clicker (just to see) to 1..no difference

Took it 2 wks ago to Turbo Al, he took a quick look at it. Al installed his clutch spring combo (primary and secondary) as well as installed his pin weight recommendation. He said I had the right helix in in so no need to change it. I didn't doubt BJ's setup, just desperate at this point.

Took it out Wednesday in 20" fresh snow. SAME THING????? Clickers make no difference.
Don't think its DPM related as we just rode Sicamous for 3 days in serious frost bite temps without problems.

My green horn thoughts: must be rave related? Just cleaned raves 2 wks ago ..

wtf going on here?

Help:mad:

J

JROD

Nov 6, 2004
Bozeman, MT
what are you running for clutching? What does the kit consist of? Pin weight? spring? helix?

M
Sep 21, 2002
Edmonton
Buddy has the same machine, but a 159.
He has the same problems. Looked at the primary, needs new ramps and rollers.
Is that a 3 pitch or 2.52 track?

Did you put the pto rave in the mag side?LOL

V
Jan 3, 2008
Eastern Wshington
Can't speak to the RAVES but I had a similar problem with my 04 and found it to be the spring cap and the primary bushing..

BCB

Primary bushing? got pic? I installed a new spring cup a couple weeks ago when replacing rollers and other stuff.

TBZ - Definitely thinking about puttin the 47 tooth in but ........... want to get this figured out first, already have to many unknowns. Definitely will throw the 47 in once it's dialed in.

Last edited:
J

JROD

Nov 6, 2004
Bozeman, MT
3.0 pitch track.. Al said the ramps look fine and I installed new rollers a couple weeks ago.... waiting to hear back from BJ as to which helix in is it. (didn't write it down)

How many tooth drivers do you have? Sounds like your set up is pretty close if you're not running much pin weight, again depending on your helix. I would guess if it was stock that its a 44/40. Raves are definitely worth looking at but a lot of it depends on your driver size too.... I've got a 162 on an 04 Rev and it will pull that track fine. I'm only running 18:44 with 9 tooth 2.52 drivers just to give you and idea.

B
Dec 21, 2009
Same Sled, Same Problem..........
12" Fresh snow and blue skies.....
Did a complete tear down/rebuild this fall. Installed Big Johns Trail Tourquer kit and Stock 800 piston kit. Had my Stealer do a leakdown test and all is good. 19-45 Gearing, 9 tooth drivers and Big Johns clutch combination of springs and adjustable pins with 415 ramps and 44/40 helix. Brand new 166 belt and track barely creaping at idle. Still running stock 159 track.
It almost seems intermitant. If I have some track speed at the bottom of a pull it will sometimes hold rpms and climb. It seems if I hit any deep snow or resistance it will not pull rpm. I am dropping off as low as 7400-7500 rpm. On the groomed trail I can pull 8500+ rpm. Moved clickers up to 5 hoping rpms would raise. I spoke to Big John this morning thinking maybe secondary spring wasn't back shifting. He suggested trying a stock secondary or even blue/blue but he's been running this kit for 5 yrs now. Not sure how the exhaust valves could create this problem. Only other thing I was thinking is that it's not pulling enough air at WOT. I covered the holes in the back of the air box and pantyhosed the intake filter. Would this be enough to starve this motor at WOT? Also installed the 390 mains but did not move the needle clip. Does it need to be? WOT is the only problem spot. This sled rips when it does pull, but this rpm drop sucks!
HELP!!!

V
Jan 3, 2008
Eastern Wshington
I would not lean out the clip. Mine was in that position when I bought it, .. in fact I may put it back to stock. BUT I am learning ...... change / add / adjust one thing at a time:eek:

Last edited:
B

BackCountryBob

Aug 7, 2001
Arvada, Colorado
The bushing is pressed into the primary sliding half--I replaced my spring tower but waited too long which caused the bushing to go south. I had to replace the complete sliding half=$$$ but problem solved. Sorry, no pic:eek:

BCB

R
Nov 8, 2009
Same Sled, Same Problem..........
12" Fresh snow and blue skies.....
Did a complete tear down/rebuild this fall. Installed Big Johns Trail Tourquer kit and Stock 800 piston kit. Had my Stealer do a leakdown test and all is good. 19-45 Gearing, 9 tooth drivers and Big Johns clutch combination of springs and adjustable pins with 415 ramps and 44/40 helix. Brand new 166 belt and track barely creaping at idle. Still running stock 159 track.
It almost seems intermitant. If I have some track speed at the bottom of a pull it will sometimes hold rpms and climb. It seems if I hit any deep snow or resistance it will not pull rpm. I am dropping off as low as 7400-7500 rpm. On the groomed trail I can pull 8500+ rpm. Moved clickers up to 5 hoping rpms would raise. I spoke to Big John this morning thinking maybe secondary spring wasn't back shifting. He suggested trying a stock secondary or even blue/blue but he's been running this kit for 5 yrs now. Not sure how the exhaust valves could create this problem. Only other thing I was thinking is that it's not pulling enough air at WOT. I covered the holes in the back of the air box and pantyhosed the intake filter. Would this be enough to starve this motor at WOT? Also installed the 390 mains but did not move the needle clip. Does it need to be? WOT is the only problem spot. This sled rips when it does pull, but this rpm drop sucks!
HELP!!!
A common problem with... a failing DPM solenoid. They begin to fail to rich at WOT then become rich altogether. Check yours with a 9 volt battery. They should click under low voltage. A new one is $140.00! Remember a nonDPM 800 @ 8000ft @10f usually is right-on with 280's!!! These were lean in the mids(on the needle)from the factory. That's why you'll notice The problem at WOT under load. Do your EGT's drop below 1100f or lower on the pull?

R
Nov 8, 2009
BCB, the gearing is 19/45, 8 tooth extros w/drop and roll. light VA chassis. Problem child pulled the Mav fine last yr with 19/43 gearing!?

Has to be raves right????????
Did you ever solve this? I have a similar set up. My DPM was faulty and I needed to run a 160/350 primary spring to compensate for the lower overall drive ratio with 19/45 gears and 8 tooth 3" pitch drivers at 8-10k' to keep 8000rpm when climbing. Hope this helps you!! Clickers down to 1-2 on the trail;4 in the powder.

Premium Features