• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017 Summit

kipperdavis

Premium Member
Apr 13, 2008
De Smet, SD
I was looking at a 2017 carry over sled that the dealership this weekend. My question for you all is ,would you be afraid of a 17? I now the bulkhead needs reinforcement. Get a good clutch kit. keep a eye on the chain case. Or would a guy be better off spend more for a 18 hold over? The 17 should come with most of the 18 or even 19 update right? Thanks!

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Buy it and ride it on snow and not rocks and they are fine. My wife's has over 1000 miles on original belt. The only thing I've replaced is a side panel because I jumped off a rock on a steep hill and had a fitment issue with some trees. It did fit but side panel broke. You only hear about the bad ones on the internet. Not the 1000 good ones like hers.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I was looking at a 2017 carry over sled that the dealership this weekend. My question for you all is ,would you be afraid of a 17? I now the bulkhead needs reinforcement. Get a good clutch kit. keep a eye on the chain case. Or would a guy be better off spend more for a 18 hold over? The 17 should come with most of the 18 or even 19 update right? Thanks!

So long as you are willing to install a good brace kit like the Grip n Rip, I really wouldn't have much concern with the 2017s. Other than the rock I hit, mine has NOT caused me any grief at all. If you can get a smoking deal on a 2017, GO FOR IT.:face-icon-small-hap

I
Jun 24, 2016
Re

Only difference made with any success, was the upgraded module. Get the updates done (I personally believe you can skip the gear change, especially if you ride at lower elevation ever), get a pivot weight kit, then remove all foam and vent pto panel. You'll then be better off than a stock 18.

D
May 24, 2012
A minority of 17s had odd ball problems such as the cooling system. The chafing wire repair is part of the upgrades, so that can be done by the dealer. The clutching and alignment isn't much of a problem with regular riding, and easy enough to mod if necessary. Each year gets better belt cooling, which is an owner expense if needed. The 17s didn't have the problem with pto side self-threading engine mounting bolts, so that's a plus compared to the 18s. I am missing some things, but I think the cooling system would be my only fear. If the problem shows-up at the coolant pump then the dealer can fix it. If not then you may end up with a sled running hotter than normal.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Spend more for an 18/19. The bulkhead isn't the issue, the belt life was. I was almost done with done with Doos until I got my 18's. They were both soooooo much better than my 17 sleds. MUCH faster, much better belt life. I really hated my 17 Doos.

I
Jun 24, 2016
Re

Spend more for an 18/19. The bulkhead isn't the issue, the belt life was. I was almost done with done with Doos until I got my 18's. They were both soooooo much better than my 17 sleds. MUCH faster, much better belt life. I really hated my 17 Doos.
I think I heard just as many complaints from 18 owners on belt life. 18's got a finned primary to churn hot air, is the only difference after updates. Yes the 18's got different ramp profile to control rpm, but that can be remedied with pivot weight, not to mention a clutch kit that owners of all years install.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador

How exactly did they improve the belt life on the 18 or 19? Wouldn't it be more cost effective to install those improvements on a left over 17? Depending on the price of the 17 of course.

That being said, not all 17s had issues. I only managed to get 500km on mine, but the belt looks like brand new.

Premium Features