• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Buying a used beacon?

97exc

Dec 14, 2008
CO
Any reason not to buy a used or "open but never used" beacon? I've found quite a few for a good price and would like to pick 2 up ASAP. As long as I can test them out and they work, should be fine right?

P.S. I'm only considering models from the last year or two or newer.

pauly-doo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
SILVER STAR,MT
BEACON

I DON"T THINK YOU COULD REALLY WEAR ONE OUT.I BOUGHT A USED ONE A FEW YEARS AGO,IT WAS A RENTAL THEY SOLD AT THE END OF THE YEAR.,ABOUT A 1/3 OF THE PRICE OF A NEW ONE..

heavy_haul

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2009
Meridian, Id
I don't see anything wrong with buying a used beacon as long as you can test it before you buy it. Make sure it sends and receives. Is certainally cheaper to buy used than new.

B
Sep 30, 2012
Salt Lake
I would think that most people that are conscientious enough to shell out the money for a beacon are careful with their investment. I would inspect the beacon for any signs of physical damage and open the battery door to make sure the battery compartment doesn't show any signs of corrosion. Finally, test the beacon and make s sweet deal.

Beartoothclimb

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Hailey, ID
Always depends who ya buy it from. Some people take great care of theirs and treat it very gingerly. i have seen others drop them and not think anything of it. Gotta say it's a gamble so know who you are buying it from.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I think as long as you're buying from a reputable person I think you'll be okay.

After all a used beacon is better than no beacon!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

P

phatboyfilms

Oct 7, 2008
ck it first!

I would've told you no worries about using a used one, until someone showed me mine wasnt working.... The person selling it may not know if its really working either - just because it turns on doesnt mean much.

make sure you test it before you buy it. like i said, mine quit receiving last yr, but it turned on & looked like it was working. no physical signs of damage either.

this is how i was told to test ( i believe its in another post here): separate beacons out of range, then turn one to search & start moving closer to each other. note the distance when it picks up the signal (mine didnt pick up until within 10'). If you do it the other way (start close & walk away), i was told it can hold the signal it locked in when close & falsely appear to be working.

hope that helps someone. if the beacon works, used is great!

R
Nov 26, 2007
TB-MT
ya ...like phatboyfilms said...just cuz they turn on doesnt mean they work properly..found this out the hard way...had an older SOS beacon..decided to upgrade to a new peips last year at the snowsho. rep showed me they have a function to test the Hz or frequency or whatever of another beacon...apparently the crystals in them can be damaged and not send a super accurate frequency..so when you search for it, it will lead you many feet away from teh actual beacon. mine was bad..led me 9' from actual beacon. my friends old sos was still good...so if u could find a beacon to test the used ones? :face-icon-small-con

Snowbird11

Lifetime Membership
May 29, 2011
SLC/Samak, Ut
I DON"T THINK YOU COULD REALLY WEAR ONE OUT.I BOUGHT A USED ONE A FEW YEARS AGO,IT WAS A RENTAL THEY SOLD AT THE END OF THE YEAR.,ABOUT A 1/3 OF THE PRICE OF A NEW ONE..

fwiw,

they do wear out. most beacon manufacturers don't even repair beacons over 5 years old. they tend to drift from the 457 frequency as they age and that leads to a host of problems. the pieps dsp has a function on it to test the freq drift if you can get your hands on one. a departure of 80 or more is a failed beacon.

NRHS

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2012
Firestone, CO
I sell brand new tracker 2s for only $265. Why would you risk buying a used one since your life or your buddies may literally depend on it one day?

Premium Features