• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

RK TEK drop-in kit

pinko

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wembley, AB
Just wondering who out there has tried the drop in kit from RK TEK? How did you like it and how is reliability with their components? I have an '07 800 with an '09 motor. Also is the ECM program worthwile? Thanks

L
I put the RKT pistons in my '06 X about 600 miles ago. Thought they were the greatest piston on the market until yesterday. I am not sure if the piston failed or something else went wrong, but i burned a hole through my clutch side piston. My preliminary guess is the post that keeps the ring from turning came out and scored the cylinder, causing a hot spot and a burn through

Last edited:
I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
we havnt had to much snow here in washington this year. it has been a patience game waiting for good conditions to ride and determine weather the drop in kit was worth it. my 1st ride was good and i was impressed with the power gains. but every ride in between has been heavy snow or not enough snow to determine if i should click up or take pin weight out. i had not been taching above 7800 rpm. Finally yesterday,,,, the snow was good and light and the sun was out,,,, Rkt's kit rocks. i ended up clicking up to 5 which i've heard is to high,, you should be on 3 or 4. (so maybe i need to take pin weight out) needless to say, after clicking up my rpms came up to 8200. the sled came alive. what a huge difference. i felt the 18 plus horse gain and was left with an ear to ear grin. i was highmarking my buddies 09 dragon all day. thanks RKT!:face-icon-small-hap

M
Mar 14, 2009
idaho
rkt

I have an 05 800 and have ran both the drop in and the 827 and they both are very reliable and produced great gains. Perhaps some people can't follow simple instructions or maybe they had other issues.

S
Jan 27, 2011
Boise
Rk tek rips!

I have the drop in kit 800, followed step by step Kelsey's instructions for EVERYTHING and my sled rips! Ride mainly McCall and the Trinity Mtns up to 8,000 ft and sled pulls hard bottom to top.

D
Dec 11, 2008
Livingston MT
just gonna add to the list, have about 100 miles on his kit so far, i had an SPI pipe can and high altitude head, and switched back to stock pipe and skinz super Q can, it seems like a regular old 800 at around 7900, when you get it up to 8400.... WOW amazing sled. 14:1 compression domes by the way anywhere from 6500 to 9500 altitude.

C

cjgodden

Nov 26, 2007
Palmer, Alaska
The kit rocks, as far as reliability goes the best advise I can give is RUN GOOD FUEL. the crap 90 octane at the pump is not good enough even for a stock motor. Any mods and blending your fuel is a must if you want it to live.

C

CBX

Jan 21, 2008
The kit rocks, as far as reliability goes the best advise I can give is RUN GOOD FUEL. the crap 90 octane at the pump is not good enough even for a stock motor. Any mods and blending your fuel is a must if you want it to live.

yeah, i dont' know about that one. Stock sleds run just fine on pump gas. Thousands of people do it everyday.

C

cjgodden

Nov 26, 2007
Palmer, Alaska
IMO, the newer high performance two stroke engines are seeing so many failures is because of poor fuel quality. Just look at all the piston issues that ski-doo,cat,polaris are having. Ring loctator pins, skirts breaking, pistons with cracks in them, all with under 2000 miles. I have seen 550 fan motors run for 10,000 miles. Tell me why an 800 can not do that, it sure is not manufacturing issues. At 150hp you need better than 91 octane if you want it to live.

T

tukernater

Nov 4, 2009
BC
IMO, the newer high performance two stroke engines are seeing so many failures is because of poor fuel quality. Just look at all the piston issues that ski-doo,cat,polaris are having. Ring loctator pins, skirts breaking, pistons with cracks in them, all with under 2000 miles. I have seen 550 fan motors run for 10,000 miles. Tell me why an 800 can not do that, it sure is not manufacturing issues. At 150hp you need better than 91 octane if you want it to live.
thank you, If only more people thought this way.:canada:

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
The big issue is ethanol. If you can get non ethanol then 92 is fine. If you cant then you better blend or ride like a pu$$y!

C

cjgodden

Nov 26, 2007
Palmer, Alaska
The big issue is ethanol. If you can get non ethanol then 92 is fine. If you cant then you better blend or ride like a pu$$y!

92 ? you can buy 92 octane at the pump? Up here in alaska the best you can get is 90. just because the pump says supreme does not mean it 92 octane. I wish I could buy 92 at the pump, All I am saying is pay attention to the octane label on the pump you are using, our pumps are 85 , 89 , 90.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
92 ? you can buy 92 octane at the pump? Up here in alaska the best you can get is 90. just because the pump says supreme does not mean it 92 octane. I wish I could buy 92 at the pump, All I am saying is pay attention to the octane label on the pump you are using, our pumps are 85 , 89 , 90.

I found a station who sell 92 without corn, he keeps it for the ATV,s Sleds ect in the town of white Salmon WA. near Adams,St Helens. Problem is fuel like this sits awhile, Ever wonder what it really is by the time I use it.Hmm, Its constantly degrading.i do wonder if a simple test kit is available to us?

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
One of our local fuel distributors carries non corn gas. And in WA supreme is 92. In Idaho and parts of wyoming they have 93 or 94 on pump. The difference between non ethanol and ethanol is so profound we manipulate our jetting on our offroad motorcycles by using one or the other. Going to ride at elevation, run ethanol. Going to run at sealevel run non ethanol. I have heard that it can change air fuel ratio by as much as 8%

Premium Features