• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

beacon bs.

J
Jan 15, 2010
you are right, very few practice multiple burials, just got a little po'd with the sales guy, i went to look at new digital beacon and was a little put out with what i heard. older becons will work, not as well as the digital, but they still will work, ust need lots of practice, still that is not the point, snowbigdeal gave me the info i was seeking and pointed me to a few new beacons, again i say thanks. good info, no kick in the teeth, just what i needed.
snowbigdeal took the time. thanks.

Practice is the point. The amount of practice required to be proficient, especially at multiples, with an analog is simply unrealistic for most. How many people actually practice more then once a season in the parking lot? 2 beacons located in 4 minutes, thats how fast you need to be in a controlled practice situation to even have a chance in a real rescue. How many analog users out there can actually do that? I had to practice a constantly to be able to regularly do that in the days that the only option was an analog (and I was tested regularly due to my work at the time), with a digital and some instruction I see some people get it in their first few tries.

I'm not baggin on you, my point is that analog beacons will NOT work for most users because they will not put in the practice time required...

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Snowbigdeal I ordered 3 vectors. Can you explain how the gps feature works on this beacon. I think I know but would like your take on it.

P
Oct 10, 2009
Park City, UT
You may want to check out the Pieps Vector that is coming out next year; I believe it will have the same type of feature as the 3+ in regard to the switching of the antennae. Should be the best beacon out there.....but very pricey

Snowbigdeal, Which would you suggest for my 15 year old ... I have no problem buying the best for him, but I want it to be damn easy to for him to use if he has to find me. The vector looks like it could be complicated ... Is the Ortovox 3+ easier to use?

SnowBigDeal

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2003
Mt. Pleasant, UT
www.snowbigdeal.com
Snowbigdeal I ordered 3 vectors. Can you explain how the gps feature works on this beacon. I think I know but would like your take on it.

The vectors aren't even on the market yet, so I haven't had a chance to play around with them much. I have only seen them at the Outdoor Retailer show. From the demonstrations I remember, you can plug the beacon into your computer when you get home and download your tracks. There are some other gps features, but I don't quite remember what they are. Sorry, I will be able to provide more information about it once we have them in stock.

SnowBigDeal

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2003
Mt. Pleasant, UT
www.snowbigdeal.com
Snowbigdeal, Which would you suggest for my 15 year old ... I have no problem buying the best for him, but I want it to be damn easy to for him to use if he has to find me. The vector looks like it could be complicated ... Is the Ortovox 3+ easier to use?

If you want ease of use, I would recommend the tracker 2. For single burials, it is the easiest beacon out there.

Anyone have thoughts on the Tracker DTS?? am thinking about getting one:face-icon-small-con
Tracker DTS is a good option, it is a 2-antennae beacon. The Tracker 2 is a little easier to use, and a little faster as well. It is worth the upgrade in my opinion.

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Recently I bought (2) Ortovox 3+ units for me and my son. I still had my older SOS beacon.

The new Ortovox beacon is waaaaay faster at finding someone. We tried several different orientations to the Ortovox (Transmitting). Then used botht eh SOS and the Ortovox trying to locate the hidden "Victim". The Ortovox found and pinpointed the transmitting beacon a full minute faster and with greater pinpoint accuracy than my SOS did.

That was under "easy" non stressful conditions. Imagine a loved one buried and how the stress level goes through the roof. The Ortovox was extremely easy to use.......

Dont mess with the older dial SOS beacons. If your considering replacing your beacon, go with one that is easy to use........

I just happened to get the Ortovox 3+ beacuse of the readout, sound pitch change graduations, and how easy it is to use......

Premium Features