• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Oil Injection delete questions Please Read!!!!!

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
Hello I have read alot of threads and also Ttabs injection delete section on his thread on Dootalk also, all learning the proper way to delete the oil injection.

I have read that when you remove the oil pump it is suggested you lift the back of the sled and make sure the cavity where the pump is removed is full of oil, I did this and I am concerned whether the cavity has to full of not, I decided to make sure the cavity would be full by making a block off plate and I drilled it out and installed a 1/8 in 90 degree pipe fitting and ground the back side of the fitting smooth with the block off plate and installed a hose on it to run up along side the frame work where the the upper hose you would use for a site hose above the pump or install a fill bottle like the 440 or 600 rs , so I could fill this hose also making sure the oil pump cavity would be full, well I reinstalled the block off plate the cavity was pretty full but I had the sled lifted up as far as I could maybe a 45degree angle or steeper the back of the 159 tunnel was a good 6ft in the air the cavity was close to full. so I installed the block off plate with the fitting and hose running up the chassis, leaving the end of this hose open about the same height as the other site hose. again so I could fill this hose after everything was put back together.

Then I hooked the hose above the pump to a see thru automotive fuel filter for an inexpensive oil resivoir and when I started to fill the site tube or automotive fuel filter that hose is connected to up if was takin oil slowly since there obvously has no breather mechanism helping it fill any quicker so I decided to blow in the hose with my mouth to push the oil in quicker, and when I did this air and oil shot up the tube from the oil pump block off plate I had the fitting and hose on,

So my biggest questions and concerns is when oil is put in the upper hose does it fill up the lower cavity which is where is seems to be the shaft that runs thru to drive the oil pump on one side and the water pump on the other, when you put oil in the upper hose as a site tube or hook it to a resivoir of some kind DOES THAT OIL MAKE IT BACK DOWN TO THE CAVITY THAT IS SUPPOSE TO BE FILLED UP OR DOES FILLING THE SITE TUBE OR RESEVOIR SUPPLY OIL TO THE LOWER SHAFT???? seems like it would or make its way down there sence when I blew with my mouth in the upper hose it shot oil and air up out of the hose hooked to the fitting I had on the block off plate..

So It seemed I didn`t need the fitting in the block off plate so I removed it took the nipple fitting out and put a Plug in it and ground the back side of it flush again and the cavity had about the same amount of oil in it if not a tiny bit more or al least enough it was to the top of the level considering the heigth I had the back of the sled lifted up.

The sled is an 04 Summit X 800HO with a 159 track and I had the back of the tunnel a good 6 feet or higher in the air. is that enought oil??

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated, I`m running the fuel filter resevoir for now untill I order the 440 or 600rs racing resivoir to make filling that tube simpler.

Has anyone else ran it to this same sinario also??

Thanks, Darren

Last edited:
V

Vailguy

Apr 24, 2008
Foothills
Upper reservoir tube will fill the shaft (ie. they goto the same place) It does take awhile to fill the shaft area behind the block off plate from the reservoir tube cranking the motor helps a little.

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
Upper reservoir tube will fill the shaft (ie. they goto the same place) It does take awhile to fill the shaft area behind the block off plate from the reservoir tube cranking the motor helps a little.

Cool , Thanks for the info thats what I figured that oil from the top tube made it down to the lower shaft,

Its is a slow process getting it full I am eventually going to install the 440 type resevoir bottle or equivalent. with more of a breather as you fill it.

Thanks Again, Wildcard

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
Sure is a messy and slow process filling the site tube or the Fuel filter I am using for a resevoir now, maybe going to try a Y fitting on top of the filter spout so one side of the Y has a breather like a chevy transmission breather like they have in the case or the same type used on 4x4 pickup differential breathers or the same type in the hose for now adays vehicles that they run in the end of the hose they run up the firewall or up to the bed floor for the rear differential if you know what I`m talkin about I`m sure some will and others won`t

and the other side of the Y fitting is where I`ll remove a cap and use as the fill spout, Only other way I can think of to get a breather mechanism on it so it can settle the oil level faster as I am filling it and with out having to go for a few rides etc.....

Wildcard

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
Hello everyone, my oil injection delete mod has been completed for awhile now I found an easy way to fill the automotive fuel filter I have been using for a resevior, I put a small tube on the top of it with a bolt in the hose as a plug and to make it fill easier I drilled a small hole in the top of the plastic on top of the filter resevior agian I am using and put a small screw into it so when I fill the resevoir I take the small screw out and it works like a breather making it easy to fill with out creating an air lock and fills pretty fast, after the resevoir if full I put hose plug in and then the small screw in the breather hole and this all works pretty good.

My major concern is I have read that a few people say it takes a few rides of fill to get al the air out and for it to settle out, I haven`t riden the sled but I have filled the resevoir once and the oil level settled I had to fill a second time a few days later with only actually starting the sled once for a few minutes and had then filled the resevoir once more agian it fills easy, but I checked it again yesterday and the resevoir is empty agian for some reason the oil level won`t stay up, I don`t beleive I have a leak in the hose anywhere cause I don`t seen any oil leaks under the sled , haven`t checked but I don`t think the block off plate is leaking I am going to check this out tomorrow to see if there is oil under the engine.

So I have filled the resevoir 3 times now the first 2 times is wasn`t completely empty but about 3/4 empty, but yesterday the resevoir and hose seems to be emply , its been about 3-4 days since I fill it.

anyway How else would I be loosing oil, could it be leaking into the crankcase??? if I start the sled it smokes but doesn`t seem to be any different than normal and seems to run ok, even for awhile of letting it run,

This is got me stumped, any suggestions or ideas are welcome and would be appreciated.

Thanks, Wildcard

Last edited:

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
Bummer, but when the oil injection bottle was in the sled stock, it didn`t seem to loose any oil that I ever noticed,

where would be the best place to get a gasket and seal kit with rings for
the 800HO?? maybe its time to freshen up the motor, motor has 3800mi on it but has had the top end gone thru with wiseco pistons a bit over 700 miles ago or shortly before I bought the sled..

Thanks, Wildcard

J
Jun 13, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
Well if your like me you would go ride the sled and use about 1/4 tank of oil, the hose that fills the cavity is from just about the 1/4 mark on the old tank. This oil was never meant to be consumed, but as the inner seals wear it begins to weep into the bottom end.

Skidoo remaned crank is the best buy.

C
May 21, 2010
Where does the oil go if the shaft cavity uses oil? Well, on my F8 based high compression race-only motor it was pretty clear it leaked a little out at the hose to brass fitting connection at the bottom of crankcase former oil injection location. Talking with the engine builder, he says it's pretty common that the underneath the crankcase area gets oily. That one hose either swells from age and heat more than the supposedly same sized ones that went to the intake nozzles. Or, Actic Cat intentionally sized it loose. I'm inclined to think the latter was done to act as a safety pressure valve when the injection pump is being used. The cavity is a dead end area that could otherwise only lose pumped oil by it being forced out the crank bearing seals.

Premium Features