• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help me plan my bike

N
Hey guys, I have a 2017 YZ250X I bought new that is pretty well stock minus cosmetics and some other small stuff. I love the bike in the summer and have been debating stuff like RK tek head, full pipe etc as it is. I recently spent some time on a 2013 WR450 with a ARO 120SX and LOVED it, and this got me researching. I weigh 235lbs without gear, but I am at sea elevation and cannot go higher than 2600'.

I am curious if it would be worthwhile for me to buy whatever is needed to make my bike work well paired with a new track kit (really interested in the Riot) or should I go after a used 450 paired with a older kit? I have a RMK 850 I use primarily and this would be my secondary ride so I am not quite sure how much I will use it and don't want to commit to a full on dedicated bike build just yet.

I see lots of people are using 250 2t so there must be some success to it, I don't expect the best but I just want to be sure it would be worth it and I am curious what it would take to make it run well ie smart carb, carb heater, intake, engine blanket, etc.

The season is almost over so it wouldn't happen now, but I could keep my eye open for deals over the summer with either route I decide to go.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Riot

It has definitely crossed my mind to put the riot kit on my 2016 YZ 250X. I don’t think (although I really really hope I’m wrong) that the riot will be a full-blown mountain kit. Looks like fun in firmer snow conditions on low angle terrain. Because you have a sled for deeper days it might be a good option. Being at sea level will definitely help your 250. I am much higher.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
It has definitely crossed my mind to put the riot kit on my 2016 YZ 250X. I don’t think (although I really really hope I’m wrong) that the riot will be a full-blown mountain kit. Looks like fun in firmer snow conditions on low angle terrain. Because you have a sled for deeper days it might be a good option. Being at sea level will definitely help your 250. I am much higher.

Edit. Oh yeah, the snow check on the riot with four year warranty seems like a pretty good deal compared to buying an older kit. Always nice to have new technology. I just hope that it is as capable or close to as capable as an aro 120

2smokin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2018
Bozeman MT
Hey guys, I have a 2017 YZ250X I bought new that is pretty well stock minus cosmetics and some other small stuff. I love the bike in the summer and have been debating stuff like RK tek head, full pipe etc as it is. I recently spent some time on a 2013 WR450 with a ARO 120SX and LOVED it, and this got me researching. I weigh 235lbs without gear, but I am at sea elevation and cannot go higher than 2600'.

I am curious if it would be worthwhile for me to buy whatever is needed to make my bike work well paired with a new track kit (really interested in the Riot) or should I go after a used 450 paired with a older kit? I have a RMK 850 I use primarily and this would be my secondary ride so I am not quite sure how much I will use it and don't want to commit to a full on dedicated bike build just yet.

I see lots of people are using 250 2t so there must be some success to it, I don't expect the best but I just want to be sure it would be worth it and I am curious what it would take to make it run well ie smart carb, carb heater, intake, engine blanket, etc.

The season is almost over so it wouldn't happen now, but I could keep my eye open for deals over the summer with either route I decide to go.

Im running my 18 300xc and its been fun for sure, You wont have the power of a 450 unless you really want to fight for it. Honestly though there is not many times where the difference is even notable as far as riding goes. You wont win the high mark but youll be right there with your buddies. I have a 40mm billet smarty and its been great but youll get mixed opinions on them. I would just get your bike set up reliable and go from there. Thermostat, carb heat, and somthing to keep the snow away from the carb for sure, either make a acket or you could use a carb sock thing but its a pain and doesnt work all that well. Less and easier service is nice on the smoker too. Personally i would run a good mix 28:1 ish and just keep a good clutch in her and change the oil every once in a while. if you can get it tuned to be snappy all the time its lots of fun, the riot would probably great but we'll see. either way get a bike going youll enjoy it regardless!

B
Jan 29, 2011
I have a 2012 KTM 300 XCW with a 2017 raw kit.

I actually sold my 2013 RMK and ride the bike 100% of the time now.

Same as stated above, Carb heat (avid), Carb upgrade (I went with Lectron) I made my own intake ($22 in amazon parts) and an AIRPRO will get you going on that 250x of yours.

If your just starting out, you might as well try a good used kit on what you have in the garage already. If you don't like it you can sell and not lose money in the process.

Just my 2c :face-icon-small-coo

N
Problem being for me is the used market is extremely small as there are next to no kits here so what kits are for sale are posted above what they’re actually worth. Even the leftover kits dealers brought in are not dropping in price, so my options are either to buy one out east and ship it back for 5-600 dollars/hope a buddy comes home, buy a new Riot or another kit which I never though of I can get for cheaper and is still brand new is a Camso DTS. The camso would cost me about 1k less than a standard Riot kit and from what I understand you have to add a fit kit to timbersled price as well.

I’m pretty sold on at least trying my YZ for a year and spend a bit more money on the kit/accessories rather than risk buying a older 4T which may need a top end etc. Then if I’m not satisfied or use it enough I could buy a better suited bike down the road.

C
Aug 13, 2018
Your yz250x will work great as a Snowbike I have one with a 120 mh and it works fine. I also have a 450 Honda with an ARO you can’t compare the 2 power wise but the 2 stroke is still fun.
I don’t have a carb heater and I’ve ridden cold cold Manitoba temps as well as revelstoke and Colorado and the carb has never frozen up on me. My Daughters husky needed a carb heater but for some reason the yz seems to work without.

R
Apr 18, 2016
You being 235LB I think a 250 is going to be a pooch. I weigh 260lb on a CR500 and want double the power plus. I think on a 250 you will have to row so hard on the gears and you are just going to burn a nice bike down. If it was me I'd ante up on a 450 and have a snow specific, keep the 250 as the single track beast. I know people say the 250's have similar HP to a 500 and that may very well be true. I'm not sure if it's the torque or what but on a steep sand dune the 500 runs away from everything except another 500 even with my big ass on it. In a drag race on flatter stuff I get beat by 450's all the time.

I guess it depends what your terrain is like but for me the snow bike is similar to duning but robs even more power. If you rode mostly flat stuff the 250 might work depending on snow conditions. If you ride anything steep or deep, I'd go 450.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Find an older yz250 and have Eric gore make it a 285. The x is detuned and wide ratio trannies are for trannies

N
I think I am just going to wait till next fall and watch for any potential cheap 450s over the summer, then buy a kit of some sort and if I can't find a decent 450 I will use my 250x for a winter. I am likely buying a lectron and RK tek head for it anyway so wouldn't take much more to at least try it out, I know I am heavy for most bikes as it is let alone with extra fuel/gear etc.

If I had my time back perhaps I should of bought a YZ450FX instead of my 2t but it is also such a blast to ride in the woods. I'd like to have a dedicated 450/500 for the snowbike but I just hate the idea of having to do a top end on a older 4t.

Most likely it'll come down to either a new Riot kit or Camso kit, but see what shows up between now and then.

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
At that altitude i wouldn't worry a bit about the 250. Wide ratio box could be a little glitch, but meh, ride it and have fun.

I ride a 300 2 smoker and weigh 320lbs without gear, plus i start at 10,000 feet. So you'll be fine.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Have Eric build you a 300 kit for the snow would be my first choice. You will even like it in the dirt, The x is soft on the bottom anyway. So a bit of displacement will be great. Carb heater and for me the lectron just what I use and works well for me.

I figure you have the bike make it the best it can be and go with the Riot. Nothing worse than the old kits and then try a new one,they have come so far in the last few Years. While the Camso is a great deep snow kit it just does not have the suspension to make it feel like a bike. Just my thoughts.

I am seriously looking at going 2 stroke just for the heck of it. Right now I have a YZ450 on the ARO 120 about as perfect as I can set it up. Just need a new challenge going 2 stroke may just be it. I do miss the ring-ding-ding once it snows.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Look I have both yz250 and yz250x ... I love the yz250 in trees sucks on the road... The x works well everywhere... I have had many yz250s... And weight 220... I have had cr500s 4 strokes and turbos... As far as our fun, reliability and handling nothing beats it... I sent one engine to rk Tek and one to Derek Harris... One has a smart carb and the other a lectron... Both engines pack a punch but Derek Harris does a better package that moves and revs to the Moon .... ( You will enjoy this more than a slow reving big bore on the snow and dynos at 55hp)I for sure have liked the smart carb more and am getting tps added as we speak... At the end of the day the x you will have to year your kit accordingly but with your weight the lower gearing will suit you. I would use Evans coolant , engine jacket, carb heat, egt and heated bars... I can tell you this I did everything to get it running with the snow kit ... Looked at the box of parts and the time it took to convert.... Then went and bought a new bike for summer... I swap rings every 50 hours and swap out every 20 both are stone cold reliable... Just remember it is like riding a 125 in the summer... Extremely fun but always takes more skill and momentum to do the same thing as a 450... We had a huge snow year and are continuing to.... I will run these two for the foreseeable future... Ones in a camso and the other on a yeti 129.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
One last thought.

Only you can know what you want from your engine torque or more over rev.

Think about how you mostly ride and make a decision based on your temperament of riding.
Build a bike for you not someone else would be my advise.

Nothing worse than a guy that likes to short shift on a screamer or a guy that wants to rev it to the moon be on a slower reving bike.

A good tuner can build you a good compromise between bottom and top end so do not get put into one corner. For most of us a middle of the road set up is really what we need.

There are to many wild engine builds that do not suit the use of the rider at the end.

R
Apr 18, 2016
My good friend has one of those Eric Gore 300's he runs out at sand mountain. He is a nut for the jetting and says it Dyno's at bla bla...I think it's a pooch. It doesn't hang and when I have ridden it, it winds out O.K. I guess but has zero nut sack and barely carries me to the top of the steep...I'm in like first doing 3 mph instead of riding a wheelie across the top in 4th gear doing 50 (cant lie this is on a ported yolked out 500, my stock AF is more like 25mph in 2nd/3rd but the AF walks on the fully built 300 silly) He also has a fairly yolked out KTM with a big bore kit and a dobech controller or something...same deal, Pooch.

I feel like the 450's I have ridden smoke the 560 or whatever the big bore KTM is. The KTM feels more torque-ie and will keep the gear but doesn't seem to wind out. The 450's wind out harder and seem to be able to keep it at peak up further in the rpm. My house is at 5000' and my home moto from the garage goes to over 8000'...that may make a serious difference in how things ride.

I'll admit I'm a CR500 guy all the way, my trail bike/single tracker is a 500AF, my snowbike is a slightly modded CR500 snow specific, and I have another one I ride a couple times a year that is as modded as far as I can go just for sand. I have a 650R dualsport desert sled as my only 4 stroke. Raced Baja on it a few times and just a reliable tractor. I hear you on 4s top ends, the 650 never needs them or I probably wouldn't have a 4s.

N
Well, actually ordered the RK tek head today as I wanted to try it out on the bike regardless.

I would absolutely love to build a 500 2t snowbike someday but those are even harder to come by than the snowbike kits where I live.

It'll come down to next fall I will either buy a Camso kit, Riot or used tsled ST and then have to decide if I want to switch my YZ back and fourth each season, or pick up a fi 450 someone will want to dump off at the end of bike season. Not sure which route I will take but I know I am having a snowbike for next season, too much fun to not have one in the stable. :face-icon-small-hap

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Remember they have a Snowbike specific insert ...it revs out way better.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

N
well.. took a different route :face-icon-small-hap

53843167_10156216219832951_1985019857124458496_n.jpg

Premium Features