• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Building a kids sled?

N
Nov 26, 2007
Chinook Pass, Wa
So I'm kicking the idea around of building a sled for my daughter. She's 9 years old, but tall for her age. She's way too big for the 120's and the 200's are expensive and kinda blah. Sooo, been thinking about building a custom mtn kid's sled using a 121" x 2" track maybe from a snowbike, custom tunnel, seat, tank etc. I want to make it as light as possible. My question is on the engine. Wanting something that's not too powerful, but enough for her to have fun. Thought about a 450 dirtbike motor, but I want to use a CVT...anybody making a kit to run a primary clutch on one? not sure. Second thought is the lightest twin cylinder two stroke motor I can find...Anybody have any insight into a project like this?

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
So, you are planning to build the holy grail?

I think this has been pondered many times by many people.

Realistically, your kid is 9 now, by the time the sled is built, the kid will be what, 10 or 11? How big will they be by then and what currently made sled would fit their needs? Not trying to burst your bubble, but I think this is where the manufacturers are struggling as well.

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
So I'm kicking the idea around of building a sled for my daughter. She's 9 years old, but tall for her age. She's way too big for the 120's and the 200's are expensive and kinda blah. Sooo, been thinking about building a custom mtn kid's sled using a 121" x 2" track maybe from a snowbike, custom tunnel, seat, tank etc. I want to make it as light as possible. My question is on the engine. Wanting something that's not too powerful, but enough for her to have fun. Thought about a 450 dirtbike motor, but I want to use a CVT...anybody making a kit to run a primary clutch on one? not sure. Second thought is the lightest twin cylinder two stroke motor I can find...Anybody have any insight into a project like this?

My dad and I have been kicking this around for years now (since my son was ~3, he's 8 now) and what we've finally started on is basically an Arctic Cat Firecat tunnel (13.5" wide track) with a narrowed up mountain cat (~2004 ish) bulkhead running a 570 fan cooled twin engine. It won't be as light as I want, but should work without a ton of custom parts. Just narrowed stock stuff. We are also planning to build something functionally similar to the Alpha One rear suspension. There's a couple threads about it around here of others doing that. Going with a 136 to 141ish with between 1.5 - 2" lugs.

Alternatively, we were just going to run a relatively stock Firecat.

N
Nov 26, 2007
Chinook Pass, Wa
So, you are planning to build the holy grail?

I think this has been pondered many times by many people.

Realistically, your kid is 9 now, by the time the sled is built, the kid will be what, 10 or 11? How big will they be by then and what currently made sled would fit their needs? Not trying to burst your bubble, but I think this is where the manufacturers are struggling as well.

If I decide to do it, I'll have it done by the end of summer, she turns 9 in July and I would basically be building it specifically to fit her size. But for now, I just got a deal on a Phaser II for her to play on this winter.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Both of the build ideas mentioned exist in the m5.
Mine was $1200 and my 10 yr old handles it well since she was 8.5 yrs old.
Phaser was before that.

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
weight

M5 listed at 455 pounds.

Soooo...I'm telling my 9 year old to ride a sled that is 46 pounds heavier than my axys?

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Thinking lightweight, I can't imagine a small fan 2 stroke weighs much of any more than a 450/heat exchanger/trans.
Plus you get a ready to roll clutch/jackshaft/chain/case setup. We used to use sled engines to make really fast go karts as kids. use the whole cvt setup and jackshaft.
Alternatively, what about a Polaris 2 stroke quad engine/cvt? Lightweight and compact. Would be unique.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
My daughter frequently goes on 45 + mile mtn trips in areas where groomers never run and begs to go back the day she gets home. Granted she is 10 now...
It’s no secret m’s shed weight easily.

She came off a phaser, 120, kitty, has ridden a few different m’8s and proclimbs and prefers the m5.

Not sure what you’re telling you’re daughter to ride, but I’m just stating the m5 has been a fantastic transition sled for my six kids and we plan to keep it for the grandkids when the time comes.

She’s also taken a spin on a 200, grinned, “ Dad, that would’ve been fun a few years ago”

The 500 cc m5 motor sits right between the phaser motor and the 450 mentioned as a project motor, just throwing out the option that worked for us.

I love riding with my family and realize it’s a blessing they all love it as much as I do.

N
Nov 26, 2007
Chinook Pass, Wa
So, an update. Found a super clean Phazer 2 that I picked up for a good price. Probably not going to do a lot to it this season, but during the summer, the plan is to lighten it up about 30 lbs and maybe do a 1.75" track on it, better skis, better bars and better running boards and a little clutching before next season. That should make it pretty darn capable in the deeper snow off trail for next season.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I thought I remembered the track lug upgrade was limited to 1 1/8-1 1/4" max.

Glad you got something for them to ride, should be a nice setup.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Pogo stick Phazers are top of the list for kids sleds IMO. Good find!
Like VB said, I recall them not taking a very tall track lug, stock, but compared to the custom chassis you were contemplating, I bet you could drop n roll the driveshaft and graft a better rear skid into it and have an excellent setup.

N
Nov 26, 2007
Chinook Pass, Wa
Pogo stick Phazers are top of the list for kids sleds IMO. Good find!
Like VB said, I recall them not taking a very tall track lug, stock, but compared to the custom chassis you were contemplating, I bet you could drop n roll the driveshaft and graft a better rear skid into it and have an excellent setup.

From the research I've done so far, I think I can go to 7 tooth drivers and run the 1.75" track without a chaincase drop and roll. Then I'll drop a gear in the chaincase and clutch it and it should pull that track nicely. I just ran across a full xtra 10 rear skid with fox coilover and track I might be able to grab for next to nothing.

H1Pilot

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Building custom sleds for your kids is fun and rewarding. From what you described, Tall 9 year old but you want limited power, the 300cc skidoo freestyles are tough to beat. 45mph, 32" ski stance, 121" track, 380lbs with electronic reverse.

I built 2 for my kids when they were about 8 and 10. I put 1.5" x 121 tracks, new ski's and handguards on them. You will likely sell it for what you buy it for when you are done.

PART_1388980019950.jpeg PART_1388980020678.jpeg

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
What year are those?
Honestly never seen one.
Look like a great setup.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Phazer 1 is narrower and lighter than phazer 2. I like to extend the 116 to 121 with WPS extensions and hammer the flap out or just remove it. amazing where they will go with just a cheap takeoff track 1.125" lug and some plastic skis.
you can slow them down with smaller drivers and gears and paddle tracks, and thats probably better for the younger kids too. gives it the mean look anyways.
won't go anywhere the PZ1 as described can't get tho.

F
Jan 3, 2008
Building custom sleds for your kids is fun and rewarding. From what you described, Tall 9 year old but you want limited power, the 300cc skidoo freestyles are tough to beat. 45mph, 32" ski stance, 121" track, 380lbs with electronic reverse.

I built 2 for my kids when they were about 8 and 10. I put 1.5" x 121 tracks, new ski's and handguards on them. You will likely sell it for what you buy it for when you are done.

What brand of skis do you put on them? What state do you live in? Did you do much riding in fresh powder?

H1Pilot

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
What brand of skis do you put on them? What state do you live in? Did you do much riding in fresh powder?
I put skidoo DS2 skis on them. Sleds were ridden in McCall and Northern Idaho and in Montana, so yes, Mountain and powder riding. I have a build thread in here on these freestyles.

Premium Features