• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gearing up my 175?

snoblind04

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Western Wyoming
I got an 2018 175 w/mpi turbo on it. I left the stock gearing alone last winter, but I've been toying around with the idea of gearing up, probably 2 teeth.

The 175's are geared pretty low, so any thought's?

X
Oct 8, 2009
I would not touch it. As you said, a 175 is aggressive on gearing. If you change it, do not drop lower than a 2:1 ratio on a turbo sled. The only reason to drop is to get more belt surface area on the clutch under load by shifting out the primary. Your track speed will remain the same, but the shift will happen faster, increasing transition speed from initial to full shift. Also, I edited this post because I miss read your initial post. Ha!

Last edited:

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
What is the track speed you are achieving when climbing in the steep and deep with the 175 and the stock gearing?

BTW changing your gearing will result in a corresponding change in your track speed given the engine rpm and clutching remain constant.

Last edited:

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
I would not touch it. As you said, a 175 is aggressive on gearing. If you change it, do not drop lower than a 2:1 ratio on a turbo sled. The only reason to drop is to get more belt surface area on the clutch under load by shifting out the primary. Your track speed will remain the same, but the shift will happen faster, increasing transition speed from initial to full shift. Also, I edited this post because I miss read your initial post. Ha!

This is incorrect information.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

snoblind04

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Western Wyoming
Track speed today was between 45 & 55 mph. Kind of different than I've seen. usually under 50 in our kind of snow.

My thought was to keep it a little lower in the clutches.

It really did run good today with my current setup. But always room for improvement.

T
Aug 8, 2011
Don’t gear it up in those track speeds. When you get it to start wanting to pull up into the mid 50s all the time then a tooth is helpful to push you up to the high 50s low 60s.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Will the sled go faster or slower when the belt is riding higher in the primary?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

snoblind04

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Western Wyoming
Some good points here, I'm not sure what I'm really trying to achieve.

If I geared up would I really see more track speed or would it just load the engine more.

I think I'll go up 1 tooth and try it. Not hard to do and it shouldn't be much of a change.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
50-55mph sounds a little low for a turbo.. If that's what it is you might not need to gear up.. But if your making mid 60s then it's something to think about..

I Try for the 2.3-1 ratio on other sleds and they seam to like it, planing to install kit tomorrow and think it should pull a tooth or two more.. At least I'm hoping, also gives you a little wiggle room if you grab a little air or something on full boost.. Nothing worse than knocking out your reeds in a over rev or something

Premium Features