• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

track vibration

B
Nov 25, 2012
I have 400 miles on my summit 165 3" and figured I should check my track tension. Everything has been fine on my sled, but after tightening the track up I have a pretty solid vibration on slow downhill descents. Blip the throttle and it seems to go away. I didn't see a ton of ice in the tunnel to cause it. Did I tighten the track to much? Seems that it ran fine a little looser. My chain case is adjusted, belt deflection fine, track is aligned as well. Ideas?

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Mine had a good vibration also. So I thought tightening it up would help. Not the case, made it worse. This is the one thing I can't stand on the 850.

Valley1090

Lifetime Membership
Dec 12, 2016
My 3inch track 154, viberates quite abit also, i think its just ice build up, smooth when no ice is built up, i stop multiple times looking for a problem, couldnt see a problem, back in the shop and still see nothing wrong, maybe nature of the beast

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I have 400 miles on my summit 165 3" and figured I should check my track tension. Everything has been fine on my sled, but after tightening the track up I have a pretty solid vibration on slow downhill descents. Blip the throttle and it seems to go away. I didn't see a ton of ice in the tunnel to cause it. Did I tighten the track to much? Seems that it ran fine a little looser. My chain case is adjusted, belt deflection fine, track is aligned as well. Ideas?

Next time you are out riding the sled and start to feel that, Try CLEARING the tunnel of ALL ICE and see if that makes a difference or not..

B
Nov 25, 2012
I cleared the ice the best I could and it was still doing it. Riding in the same conditions one day prior to tightening the track had no vibration at all. I'm wondering if I over tightened it and now im feeling the drivers or something?

S

snengineer

Nov 26, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
when your track is "walking" meaning the track moves up the drivers on descents or deceleration it will vibrate because it is running up against the back end of the window of the track clip on the extrovert portion of the driver. Bigger lugs walk more then shorter lugs. This is very common. It is reduced when you blip the throttle because you are aligning the track again in rotation with the track window. Proper track tension and alignment can alleviate this somewhat. All 3" tracks vibrate somewhat under power.

Premium Features