• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

The bulkhead

snosumitcsr

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Trout Lake Washington
Not gonna happen ski don't

I was dyeing to ride and snow check a new ski doo 850 beast for 2018.. I had a 08 xp, and a 12 CAT, And was NOT buying a first year release again. I was soo interested in how the 850 hype worked out, and after hearing about cracking bulkheads and blowing belts. That pipe dream is over, fool me once shame on me, ain't happening again! Get your s--t together ski doo or SKI DONT. I'm OUT! Bought a proven AXYS. Done!

L
Feb 13, 2010
nl, canada
From what I can tell, the G4 modules are about the same strength as the XP's and XM's. We all (reasonably) expected better due to the redesign, but that appears to be a fail. The aftermarket fixes (GnR braces, AI a-arms, RPM skid plate, etc.) will be available soon, and they aren't really all that expensive or difficult to install, compared to the cost of the sled or a module repair. Mainly a hassle IMO, but within my expectations for a first year sled. I'm more concerned about the belt issues, because that affects run ability. Compared to past Doo sled releases, this one really lives up to the performance improvement hype. But, you can't enjoy that performance, if you're worrying about the belt all the time.

I think the belt issue will be a quicker, easier fix when the clutch guru's finalize their kits along with gearing changes. A proper skid plate that covers the chain case and brake will come through aftermarket but I think this bulkhead issue will be the biggest problem to plague the G4, a brace will only redirect the damage to another area if the cast proves to be inferior

G
Jan 30, 2010
That's all you can comment on?? What are you thinking of all the failures? BRP must be talking amongst themselves about these failures. I realize you are sponsored or paid by BRP but at least someone could acknowledge there might be a slight issue.

Tahoepow

Lifetime Membership
Aug 7, 2012
North shore Lake Tahoe
I think the public was mislead. There is video of you BRP guys saying the front end will be stronger and bend A-arms instead of expensive module parts. Cracked, torn, ripped apart cast aluminum IS a defect IMO. Decreased clutch temps.. whatever.
BRP makes a new sled that can shred pow up down and around the town but when you hit a rock chances the sled is down for weeks to fix. Not right. Riders won't buy it either, because it will haunt them. Everyone rides early season and hits stuff, how much will it cost them?
I feel BRP will fix this. They don't want everyone blowing up the internet with negative info true or false. Blown belts and cracked bulkheads are the headlines of their new Summit. Ski-Doo wants to ride this GEN 4 for years to come and sell a bunch of them because the power and chassis. Riders with options will think twice about the weakness and thats all it takes not to pull the trigger on a spring check.
Yelp reviews can ruin a good business. DOO something BRP. The GEN 4 is a performer, I've seen it first hand and took a few test laps on a 165. I just want a total package like you advertised.

T
Dec 19, 2016
Mapleton Utah
I've seen several videos now that actually showed how little it took to cause bulkheads to break... I agreed with you for about the first month. Now, however, I know that they're comically easy to break. I should also add that I haven't broken either of the 850 bulkheads on this end.

Where's a link? not saying true or not I would just like to see.

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
i think the problem people have with this is that most haven't made direct contact with a rock/frozen stumb to the bulkhead.

They hit other parts and the damaged is transfered to the bulkhead, and IMO that is very wrong.

I'd rather loose a brace or a complete skis with a-arms assembly than transfering the problem to the frame/bulkhead.

M
Jan 29, 2008
took my chance got a new 1st year sled hey they got top paid engineers they know how to do things, paid thousands of dollars more in dept only live onne right oh well ill have fun ----whoops--- trouble to scared to ride it cant afford to fix it guest ill wait for better snow, oh no powder gone and so is the season but they said to wait oh well theres always next year. glad there is a solution and it starts with a P

M
Apr 24, 2016
Yukon
took my chance got a new 1st year sled hey they got top paid engineers they know how to do things, paid thousands of dollars more in dept only live onne right oh well ill have fun ----whoops--- trouble to scared to ride it cant afford to fix it guest ill wait for better snow, oh no powder gone and so is the season but they said to wait oh well theres always next year. glad there is a solution and it starts with a P

Having owned a few new Polaris machines in the last few years, I can honestly say that they are literally never the answer.

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
No, Polaris machines most certainly aren't the answer.

All the brands have their strengths. And weaknesses.

I really don't understand how hard it can possibly be to design a bulkhead with some integrity and some A arms that can be the "fuse" in the system so to speak and fail without destroying a structural part that is expensive and time consuming to replace.

I'm honestly starting to think that maybe it isn't lack of effort or knowledge but instead the complete opposite... a sled that didn't break would be bad for business. :eek:

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
No, Polaris machines most certainly aren't the answer.

All the brands have their strengths. And weaknesses.

I really don't understand how hard it can possibly be to design a bulkhead with some integrity and some A arms that can be the "fuse" in the system so to speak and fail without destroying a structural part that is expensive and time consuming to replace.

I'm honestly starting to think that maybe it isn't lack of effort or knowledge but instead the complete opposite... a sled that didn't break would be bad for business. :eek:

I agree with you on this. That's the ONLY logical explanation.

Tahoe54

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2007
I was dyeing to ride and snow check a new ski doo 850 beast for 2018.. I had a 08 xp, and a 12 CAT, And was NOT buying a first year release again. I was soo interested in how the 850 hype worked out, and after hearing about cracking bulkheads and blowing belts. That pipe dream is over, fool me once shame on me, ain't happening again! Get your s--t together ski doo or SKI DONT. I'm OUT! Bought a proven AXYS. Done!

Same here, been happy with the Poo, over 500 flawless miles.

I think the public was mislead. There is video of you BRP guys saying the front end will be stronger and bend A-arms instead of expensive module parts. Cracked, torn, ripped apart cast aluminum IS a defect IMO. Decreased clutch temps.. whatever.
BRP makes a new sled that can shred pow up down and around the town but when you hit a rock chances the sled is down for weeks to fix. Not right. Riders won't buy it either, because it will haunt them. Everyone rides early season and hits stuff, how much will it cost them?
I feel BRP will fix this. They don't want everyone blowing up the internet with negative info true or false. Blown belts and cracked bulkheads are the headlines of their new Summit. Ski-Doo wants to ride this GEN 4 for years to come and sell a bunch of them because the power and chassis. Riders with options will think twice about the weakness and thats all it takes not to pull the trigger on a spring check.
Yelp reviews can ruin a good business. DOO something BRP. The GEN 4 is a performer, I've seen it first hand and took a few test laps on a 165. I just want a total package like you advertised.

Can you post the links to the videos, that will be helpful for some to get the issue warrantied.

N
Nov 3, 2008
Mass
am I the only one that thinks his bulkhead should have broke but didn't? I tagged a few rocks and stumps this weekend on my 850 and nothing broke, but it probably should have lol

Premium Features