• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Idea: Axys spindles and rear tunnel brackets on a Pro?

M
Jan 24, 2011
N/W Montana
Ive been crawling around a buddies new axys as it sits next to my 15 pro, and thinking that if i could raise the sled with the new spindles and rear tunnel sups. brackets it "should" (in theory) make the pro handle similar to the axys. Spindles are easy to find part numbers for however the rear brackets have proven difficult to pin down.

If I could find a drop bracket i think it would be worth a try?? (or if oem is unobtainable, is there an aftermarket option?)

Thoughts...? :light:

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
A real drop and roll would be beneficial as well. Not the stupid 6mm (1/4") that they lowered the AXYS driveshaft. If it were me I'd go a minimum of 1" down and 1" back to allow an 8 tooth driver as a minimum and still have some space for snow / air flow thru the choke point.

So you choices are;

AVID (which FTX did all the R&D on, but AVID in their typical snotty arrogant fashion stole and does not extend any credit for)

MTNTEK

Ice Age

CMX

B&M Fabrications

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Aug 3, 2011
North Branch, MN
www.bmfabrications.com
You could measure and build the inner plates for the drop brackets. They are just .080 aluminum with a flange folded out on each side with 2 - 6mm rivnuts. Then just order KMODs drop bracket covers for his skid which still has the stock skid hole in it.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
The axys rear suspension is dropped 1 1/4 if I remember correctly
Is the profile of the rails different in the front?

Seems to me if you drop the rear suspension without dropping the drive axle your angle of attack is going to be off and the front of the rails are going to drag more maybe even stab the track. You could always add a anti stab kit.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
is the skid even dropped? the polaris ad back in the spring said the rear suspension points are basically the same as the pro with the running boards raised.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
i guess if you did axys spindles, drop and roll and lowered the skid it would have roughly the same effect. just not the shorter tunnel.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
One of the latest issues of snowest magazine Said it was dropped.

Maybe raising the boards like the skinz airloc is the best idea for the pro chassis that combined with a 37 front end.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Drop and roll chain case with 3.2 track would be good to go. I've never been a fan of small drivers looses to much power there. I have seen just to much gain over the years with larger drivers and more room for snow evacuation.

B&M Fabrications

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Aug 3, 2011
North Branch, MN
www.bmfabrications.com
Regardless of the axys chassis. If you drop the skid and swap to axys spindles, the drive shaft needs to do the same. Or at least close. Drop and roll chain case or belt drive back plate will get it down 1" and back 1", which you could get away dropping the skid 1 3/8" then.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Not arguing the point of bigger drivers or more room for snow evacuation/ windage.......

BUT

Regarding dropping the Pro driveshaft, keep in mind the AXYS shaft only relocated about 1/4"

Not saying it's ideal, but that is all the C-t-C changed on the AXYS. The smaller driver (again not making a claim its "ideal") in a Pro chassis does effectively shift the track back in the tunnel. The top of the track also moves down in the tunnel based on the smaller diameter.

The AXYS chassis still has that extra 1/4" C-t-C distance and its inherent advantage over a Pro Chassis

S

sportsterdanne

May 3, 2011
The 1/4" drop on the Axys probably is done to gain clearance for the the bigger track lugs rather than raising the tunnel, most "old" Pro:s has rubbing marks on the coolers in the front of the tunnel with stock track.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Not arguing the point of bigger drivers or more room for snow evacuation/ windage.......

BUT

Regarding dropping the Pro driveshaft, keep in mind the AXYS shaft only relocated about 1/4"

Not saying it's ideal, but that is all the C-t-C changed on the AXYS. The smaller driver (again not making a claim its "ideal") in a Pro chassis does effectively shift the track back in the tunnel. The top of the track also moves down in the tunnel based on the smaller diameter.

The AXYS chassis still has that extra 1/4" C-t-C distance and its inherent advantage over a Pro Chassis

I'd be interested in knowing if the Jackshaft is in nearly the same location? Yes the Center to Center got stretched a 1/4" but did they drop the jackshaft when they lowered the engine in the chassis? It would be enlightening to actually get some hard dimensional comparisons between the PRO ride RMK and the AXYS RMK. I'd hedge my bet that the actual driveshaft is lower; as is the Jackshaft, engine, ski and rear suspension. Someone has to have both and not enough snow to ride (= bored?) maybe. Please

2Quickrides

Lifetime Membership
Nov 11, 2012
Edmonton
The 1/4" drop on the Axys probably is done to gain clearance for the the bigger track lugs rather than raising the tunnel, most "old" Pro:s has rubbing marks on the coolers in the front of the tunnel with stock track.

I'd almost guarantee this is due to not running proper tension rather than actual clearance. I'd always ran it tight and until I lost a rear shock, there wasn't a mark there......from the track anyway.

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
I'd be interested in knowing if the Jackshaft is in nearly the same location? Yes the Center to Center got stretched a 1/4" but did they drop the jackshaft when they lowered the engine in the chassis? It would be enlightening to actually get some hard dimensional comparisons between the PRO ride RMK and the AXYS RMK. I'd hedge my bet that the actual driveshaft is lower; as is the Jackshaft, engine, ski and rear suspension. Someone has to have both and not enough snow to ride (= bored?) maybe. Please

LH, hadn't thought about that.... Driveshaft could be in lower relative position to motor and chassis. Jackshaft is sitting right on top of both tunnels, but AXYS tunnel height could be lower relative to Pro tunnel height which would "drop" driveshaft height in relation to spindle/ drop bracket locations.....

Hmmm.....

S

sportsterdanne

May 3, 2011
From the patent.

"It should also be noted that the center line 670 of the driveshaft has not been lowered relative to a ground plane 676 but rather the remaining portion of the chassis has been raised relative to the ground plane 676. In the embodiment shown, the body panel 650 has been raised by approximately two inches relative to the ground plane 676. As shown, and in a first embodiment, the distance 677 between the body panel 650 and the ground plane 676 is 9.12 inches (231.647 mm). In the embodiment depicted in <figref idrefs="DRAWINGS">FIG. 53</figref>, the corresponding distance 678 is 7.261 inches (184.432 mm). Thus, the end result of the design changes mentioned above has raised the ground clearance of the body panel 650 relative to the ground plane, and relative to the top surface of the snow.

Specifically, this has been accomplished by providing a revised bulkhead portion 608A (<figref idrefs="DRAWINGS">FIGS. 56 and 60</figref>), which is provided with a semi-circular portion 608B profiled to receive the drive mechanism 640. Bulkhead portion 608A defines a drive shaft mount portion for drive mechanism 640. In addition, and as mentioned above, the revised spindle 634 has been elongated which raises the location of the upper and lower control arms relative to the previous snowmobiles.

Also, the tunnel 606 is raised relative to the ground by moving the connection of the front control arm 616 relative to the tunnel 606. Namely, the connection point between the two is shown at 690 in <figref idrefs="DRAWINGS">FIG. 55</figref>. As shown in <figref idrefs="DRAWINGS">FIG. 59</figref>, the distance from the bottom of the chassis at 650 to the connection point 690 is shown as distance 686. In the first embodiment, the distance 686 is 3.34 inches (84.84 mm) and in the embodiment of <figref idrefs="DRAWINGS">FIG. 53</figref>, the analogous distance 674 is 5.34 inches (135.64 mm)."

Link to pic.

http://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/US8733773B2/US08733773-20140527-D00000.png

Lots of pics and measurements in the Patent.

http://www.google.com/patents/US8733773

So the Driveshaft pretty much is in the same position relative to the ground and skid mounting Points but with higher running boards, and the the bulk is higher and the spindles below the lower a-arm is equally taller.
The Engine is lower in the chassie compared to the old pro becuse of different Engine mounts but probably higher of the ground due to the higher bulk.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
From the patent.

"It should also be noted that the center line 670 of the driveshaft has not been lowered relative to a ground plane 676 but rather the remaining portion of the chassis has been raised relative to the ground plane 676. In the embodiment shown, the body panel 650 has been raised by approximately two inches relative to the ground plane 676. As shown, and in a first embodiment, the distance 677 between the body panel 650 and the ground plane 676 is 9.12 inches (231.647 mm). In the embodiment depicted in <figref idrefs="DRAWINGS">FIG. 53</figref>, the corresponding distance 678 is 7.261 inches (184.432 mm). Thus, the end result of the design changes mentioned above has raised the ground clearance of the body panel 650 relative to the ground plane, and relative to the top surface of the snow.

Specifically, this has been accomplished by providing a revised bulkhead portion 608A (<figref idrefs="DRAWINGS">FIGS. 56 and 60</figref>), which is provided with a semi-circular portion 608B profiled to receive the drive mechanism 640. Bulkhead portion 608A defines a drive shaft mount portion for drive mechanism 640. In addition, and as mentioned above, the revised spindle 634 has been elongated which raises the location of the upper and lower control arms relative to the previous snowmobiles.

Also, the tunnel 606 is raised relative to the ground by moving the connection of the front control arm 616 relative to the tunnel 606. Namely, the connection point between the two is shown at 690 in <figref idrefs="DRAWINGS">FIG. 55</figref>. As shown in <figref idrefs="DRAWINGS">FIG. 59</figref>, the distance from the bottom of the chassis at 650 to the connection point 690 is shown as distance 686. In the first embodiment, the distance 686 is 3.34 inches (84.84 mm) and in the embodiment of <figref idrefs="DRAWINGS">FIG. 53</figref>, the analogous distance 674 is 5.34 inches (135.64 mm)."

Link to pic.

http://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/US8733773B2/US08733773-20140527-D00000.png

Lots of pics and measurements in the Patent.

http://www.google.com/patents/US8733773

So the Driveshaft pretty much is in the same position relative to the ground and skid mounting Points but with higher running boards, and the the bulk is higher and the spindles below the lower a-arm is equally taller.
The Engine is lower in the chassie compared to the old pro becuse of different Engine mounts but probably higher of the ground due to the higher bulk.
Thats kinda how i figured they did it

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Premium Features