• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
Out of pure boredom I needed a small challenge. With the new cat 6000 out I decided to start with the original. The 1978 eltigre 6000! Kind of a rare bird, or at least hard to get parts wise

Was just going to "get it goin" but As things for me go I got duped by jandj machine and was blessed with four extra months of wait for a crankshaft he never fixed. I sent it to my regular guy in fargo nd on tuesday and itll be back to me fresh next week for sure.

This is what happens when I have too much free time

Tear down shows the worst air intake of all time! Sucks air right off the brake disk, good thing the old can operated disk doesn't really work!

Article cat the pioneer of the adjustable steering post!

Strip down time

And back the right direction

Cut and refit the coolers reverse plumbed in with perimeter cooling

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
Man this is super tough typing on a phone that doesn't copy and paste consistently
All the cooling plumbed here and new straight post

This seat will do

The aluminum skeleton seat frame

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
Ditched that lousy cam lever brake

Homade bumper

Got a ways to go yet but from here I made some changes. This is a 137x16x1 track ended up a little too short. So I found a cobra 1.6 x141 3.0 pitch and switched drivers again. But then realized the standard extro driver dosnt work on that track. I ended up machining off the outside lugs from the drivers to clear the small drive lugs on the track

And then realized the lugs were an eigth too tall so that was a good time trimming a brand new track.

Currently I am building a two inch rail extension haha pretty elaborate little bugger!

Last edited:

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
Haha not likely that old 440 motor weighs a ton. I considered going bigger but then I would need to change a bunch of drive train. This old cat only uses a 11 plate chain. I've heard of people going bigger just letting bigger sprockets hang over the shaft ends with an appropriate spacer behind a larger bolt but I just don't like that idea. It can be done though, I imagine a doo case and shafts would work due to the 17 in wide tunnel. A newer case would probably be longer and allow for more than my maxxed out 1.25 track. I might go that route in the future who knows. Or it might get sold to a ten year old for an extreme loss?

Turbotater

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Magic Valley, Idaho
You trying to compete with the ol' 383 800 there Josh? LMAO
He's running a turbo 800 in his eltigre now and been building another naturally aspirated one for his kid.
Maybe you should put the 12hundo in there. ;)

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
Haha Wayde I've never seen the 383 first hand but love the concept! Simple basic good. I was originally intending this build to be around the thousand dollar mark and set up for a kid under ten years old. If it went well build cost and sale price wise Maby keep doing more of em. But the thousand dollar line was crossed loooong ago so it might not see a sale sign? Maby just hang on to it for a lodge runner. Or nitrous I could always pump some nitrous and run it!

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
Here's the almost finished extensions. Built in three pieces welded and bolted togather who needs a mill haha. Haven't decided if I'm going to two idlers or keep the stock three.

Then my polished cylinders and updated clutch. Clutch came off an 85 eltigre much better built. I rebushed it as well as the 85 secondary I picked up. Both are pretty much the same clutch used on newer sleds

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
My dad ran Cat 650s and 700s in those for years! Had a 156x16x3/4" Super Jag track under one. Couldn't be beat at the time. He thinks he might still have a motor plate for one.

He says he's pretty sure any Cat chaincase from then till '06 will bolt up, with the hydraulic brake mount already on.

He's pretty sure he's got another stock steering post sitting around, as well as a 500 engine, and a new or nearly new 440 bottom end. Maybe some other stuff too.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
I've learned that the 440 bottom is worth a couple coins. My crank guy told me cat stopped making crank bearings for it, being it was only used for twoish years the aftermarket didn't build any either. Fortunately he knew a guy that bought the last run of bearings and had four left. I got two for eighty five bux a piece.
I say twoish years cause he informed me that after cat went out of business in what 82 and came back that next year the new owners just were using n.o.s. parts and that crank ended up in one sled he took apart in 84.

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
We were trying to sell them at Haydays a couple years ago. Have a set of de-tuned 56hp cylinders as well. Didn't get hardly any interest in any of it.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
Dicided to go with a two wheel axle. Did a little re work and retro fitting. Had to machine the shaft shorter, drill and tap it, recut the diameter, build keeper washers, and cut the spacer tubes accordingly.

Axle

New washers

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Would there be any disadvantage to putting lift blocks on top of the front spring packs to get the belly pan up higher? This would also help the caster angle of the steering spindles.

B

burnz

Jan 7, 2013
Nanton, Alberta
you could possibly put a set of yamaha struts on there ive got a dead project that started with an old polaris txl bulk head and im going to put v-max struts on it if i ever get back to it, also putting a rotax 670 skid out of a polaris 900 iq and 162 track from a cat

Premium Features