• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ever see a Power Valve make contact with a piston?...I have :(

M
Nov 26, 2007
On my 2009 M8 with 420 miles I noticed after riding for 2 days the coolant level was down to the bottom of the coolant bottle.

So tonight I did a PSI test on the coolant system. And found coolant seeping out where the head meets the cyclinder. So while pulling the head bolts I noticed where it was leaking the head bolts were just more than finger tight (Thanks Cat). But I decided to pull the head instead of just tighting the head bolts, and order new O-Rings. And to make sure the coolant didn't make it into the cyclinder...which it didn't.

While I had the head off, I was looking at the piston. And on the exhaust side cyclinder (were the head bolts were loose and leaking coolant) looks like cornor of one side of the the power valve made contact with the piston. It doesn't look like it harmed the rings, but the piston has some marks on it.
Now I am wondering why the power valve made contact with the piston??? And If I am needing a new piston and rings?

I have pics but do not know how to post them. If somebody would, PM me there E-Mail and I can send the pics for them to post.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Also is there a trick to getting the coolant hose off and on the back of the head? I have the head unbolted, but it looks like the rear coolant hose is a PITA to get off and an ever bigger PITA to get back on again

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
IMG_35291.jpg

IMG_35351.jpg

IMG_35411.jpg

M
Nov 26, 2007
In the second pic where the screwdriver is. The edge of the piston is not a smooth radius, it is sharp edge and pushed inward slightly. But didn;t turn out in the pic

Thanks for posting the pic KSH!!

J

JasonAK

Dec 5, 2007
I had the same thing happen to my M8. If it is under warrenty make them fix it.

I thought I was the only one, only happened on one jug the PTO side. I had to grind down the power valve to clear piston.

Jason

M
Nov 26, 2007
No warrenty

Is there anyway the power valve is out of adjustment, and that is what caused this? I wouldn't think that it should be able to ever make contact, weather the adjustment is out or not.

So I need to grind the power valve? Think I need to replace the piston/rings? I think am going to try to get one more trip out of it. Then I will be done sledding for the year, and I can put a new top end on it this summer.

Last edited:

AaronBND

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2005
Cascade Mnts, OR.
No warrenty

Is there anyway the power valve is out of adjustment, and that is what caused this?

The adjustment is only for them opening, not sitting where they are suppose to in the cylinder. Sorry, but that's fu*ked up on a new sled! I can see it on a bored jug where a guy forgot to grind them shorter, but on a brand new sled from the factory?

Aaron

gopher-it!

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
nick

No warrenty

Is there anyway the power valve is out of adjustment, and that is what caused this? I wouldn't think that it should be able to ever make contact, weather the adjustment is out or not.

So I need to grind the power valve? Think I need to replace the piston/rings? I think am going to try to get one more trip out of it. Then I will be done sledding for the year, and I can put a new top end on it this summer.

this has happened twice to kids m8, warranty both times, it is were the power valve sits in the cyinder, new cylinder last time.09 m8.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I had the same thing happen to my D8. Looking at my pv's, you could see that they actually curled inward at the tip. I'm guessing that it was from the extreme heat softening the tips. I also just ground them down to clear the piston.

Dec 22, 2007
Yours doesnt look like it was hitting as bad as JasonAK's. Looks to me like it was just enough to push the rings in and mark the pistion. probably just a couple of thousandths.
If it comps out the same on each side and the rings have no visable damage. I would'nt mess tearing it down. Just file the tips of the valve back to business..
On JasonAK's sled there was a good amount of ring damage.

Last edited:
Premium Features