• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Can I move the steering post forward on a '10 M8 SP?

D
Sep 19, 2008
Sandy, UT
Picked up my 2010 M8 162 SP this weekend so expect to see lots of questions from me in the future. :face-icon-small-ton

I'm coming off a Nytro and I absolutely hated the M8 for the first hour. I was really questioning my purchase. Rotating my handlebars as far forward as they would go made a huge difference. I still feel like I want to be further forward on the sled. Is there a way to move the steering post any further forward? It doesn't look like there's a lot of room but I think a little bit of forward movement would go a long ways in getting it to feel like I would like.

And here's a pic from this weekend. Got to ride it in 2 feet of fresh for my first day out.
IMG_0128.JPG

S

shaneo11

Jan 14, 2008
The Dalles
AMP makes a riser that is 1.5" forward and a 2" rise. I put that riser on top of my adjustable riser. It seemed to help quite a bit.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
yes, the AMP riser is perfect, the cables are just long enough, you may have to cut the zip ties and wiggle stuf around

T
Jan 9, 2010
EC ND
Not trying to steal any thunder from AMP, but the MADSCIENTIST on here makes a nice gauge setup for around $60.

Last edited:

glassman

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2003
Hinton, Alberta
If you really want to improve your forward feel on your bars get rid of the adjustable bars. As you raise them up they actuallly come back farther. Get a stock bar, put an adapter with a 3 1/2" riser and you will love the forward riding feeling. I came off a rev and this is very similar.

riser 1.jpg riser 2.jpg

S
Nov 3, 2009
You guys think ditching the telescopic post, going with a standard steering post, a FLY steering post adaptor and 5 or 6 inch risers would be too much? I know this is becoming a commen mod, just not sure how high to go with the risers?

That's the plan I have, the less moving parts the better IMO. I wouldn't use the telescopic post anyways. Just wondering if that's gonna put the bars up too high or not? Probably go with some FLY carbon aero tapers later too but gonna run the stockers for the rest of this season.

Any advice??

Last edited:
S

shaneo11

Jan 14, 2008
The Dalles
I did buy the gauge cage from madsigntist also for $60 shipped. It's a nice cheap mod so you can see your gauge and I put my helmet/goggles over it when we stop and with all the heat coming out it dries out the goggles too.

S

skimike

Dec 21, 2009
bakersfield
you just have to log some miles on and get used to it , I have a thousand on mine now and it rides great, and I like the steering column , I bent it once and replaced it, but I really like the adjustability , low for trails and high for carving pow. but I mostly sit when riding. bad knees

Sunridge Sledhead

Lifetime Membership
Apr 17, 2002
Star Valley, Wyoming
Welcome to the M side! :face-icon-small-hap I have a 3" Rox riser on top of my 010 M8. I had to take the wiring plate off and snip some zip ties and move things around. The greatest tension is on my brake line. I also noticed my tailight kept coming unplugges so I put a small zip tie around the connector. No problems after 700 miles with it on. Rox are nice, as mentioned, because you can push them forward if you want.

D
Sep 19, 2008
Sandy, UT
I did buy the gauge cage from madsigntist also for $60 shipped. It's a nice cheap mod so you can see your gauge and I put my helmet/goggles over it when we stop and with all the heat coming out it dries out the goggles too.

Sweet, he even makes a cheaper gauge cage. I sent him a PM but haven't heard back yet. Hopefully he still checks SW.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I've got 2k on the adj posts, and after my 4th broken one, I've got a standard post coming ($40 something from Michelle) after buying the new bottom 1/2 for the adj. post I'll sell it for more than it's worth to someone who thinks they need the adjustment.

Get an 07 post, then if you really want an adjustable setup, get the rox adj riser that you can position forward the way it should be. If you're not worried about adjustment, then get whichever riser you want. Keep in mind, that the adj. post tops out at appx 3.75 above the standard post, so use that as a gauge to base what you need from there.

S
Nov 3, 2009
So with a the 2" AMP riser for the adj. post it should put it right around 5 and 3/4 rise. That would mean if I went with a stand. post, FLY adapt. and 6" riser I would be at 6 3/4 because the FLY adpt. adds 3/4". I will probably go that route and drop down to a 5" riser if the 6" is too high.

Thanks fellas

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
So with a the 2" AMP riser for the adj. post it should put it right around 5 and 3/4 rise. That would mean if I went with a stand. post, FLY adapt. and 6" riser I would be at 6 3/4 because the FLY adpt. adds 3/4". I will probably go that route and drop down to a 5" riser if the 6" is too high.

Thanks fellas

Yup. Exactly what I just did.

I did a 3" riser to hit the same spot the stock adj post hits, but a tad more forward. If these things would just bend instead of snap I'd just deal with it, but I just can't handle getting towed out with my handlebars in my hand again :O

C
Nov 8, 2009
If you are looking at getting a new steering post, look at an 06. The 06 posts are shorter then the 07, and due to the angle of the post will give you a more forward starting point to go straight up or forward. You would need more rise and possibly the 06 or similar bar to get the height you need, but it would be easier and may steer a bit better.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Has any one tried moving the upper mount forward a inch or two. Seems like it could be done by notching some plastic and building a mount. I haven't looked at how close it would come to the motor yet. If its to close maybe one could move the bottom of the post back and the top forward to even it out. If I ever find time I'm going to try it.

Premium Features