• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Who has ridden Hahn's Peak Area?

Missy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2012
Samak, UT
www.MissysRealEstate.com
I have only ridden the Mesa in CO. In all of your opinions Is Hahn's Peak area a "MUST RIDE"?

Is this area very rocky/stumpy on a bad snow year?

How do you rate this riding area over all others you have ridden in CO?

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
I've ridden hahns peak area on a bad snow year and a good snow year. It just like anywhere else in the mountains/back country on a bad snow year rocks, logs, stumps ect. I have not road one place yet where I have not encountered these obstacles good or bad snow. Theres more than just hahns peak to ride in the area. Across the road and across steam boat lake and your in another riding area you can ride to California park, ride towards nipple peak, ect. Look at the area using Google Earth and you will be able to see all the different areas and peaks to ride. I did have a map of the area that outlined the wilderness areas but I can't find it at the moment.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
steamboatsnowmobile-2017.gif

stahlecker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2010
Western NE

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
This is the first year that we haven’t ridden up there in about 15 years. Our group got larger than the place we always stayed at - kids all are getting too big.

We usually ride MLK weekend each year. Most years the snow was good - a few bad years but it was always fun.

The area is out of the way so you don’t get any of the Denver area day trip traffic like RE and Buff Pass. The locals will day trip, but other than those riders it is usually people that are up there for several days to ride. There is good terrain in the areas everyone mentioned, depending on snow conditions you may have to pack gas if you ride north.

21b04c379052cffe6e3a419fc3443c00.jpg

Last edited:

Missy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2012
Samak, UT
www.MissysRealEstate.com
This is the first year that we haven’t ridden up there in about 15 years. Our group got larger than the place we always stayed at - kids all are getting too big.

We usually ride MLK weekend each year. Most years the snow was good - a few bad years but it was always fun.

The area is out of the way so you don’t get any of the Denver area day trip traffic like RE and Buff Pass. The locals will day trip, but other than those riders it is usually people that are up there for several days to ride. There is good terrain in the areas everyone mentioned, depending on snow conditions you may have to pack gas if you ride north.

21b04c379052cffe6e3a419fc3443c00.jpg
That was awesome! Thank you so much for such detailed info

WileyCoyote

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Sometimes the ride out of the Hahn''s peak road house seems a bit long, but it is well worth it. The terrain seems a lot better than Rabbit Ears. And as stated above , a lot of people from Denver won't drive the extra miles.

Sometimes the ride out of the Hahn''s peak road house seems a bit long, but it is well worth it. The terrain seems a lot better than Rabbit Ears. And as stated above , a lot of people from Denver won't drive the extra miles.
Old thread I know. But looking for info on off trail riding hahns peak area. Plan on possibly staying at steamboat lake outpost (hahns peak roadhouse). How far is it from there to get to good backcountry riding and is there any areas that are off limits? And what is the terrain like? Similar to buff pass or rabbit ears?

Premium Features