• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Project minimalist tube frame

F
Jan 30, 2016
not much updates.

am 3d printing some idler wheels for it. see attached. anyone want any custom idlers.
i can make any pattern, color, etc. cheaper than buying new. and custom.

who wants to be a tester let me know.

Attachments

• sso_002.jpg
    sso_002.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 39
  • sso_003.jpg
    sso_003.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 41

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
Have you ran those wheels yet? I’m curious to see how they hold up. We have 3D printed parts for race cars and found much more than switch holders or resi mounts is pushing it.

F
Jan 30, 2016
all depends what material you use. What did you print with?

attached is a scale version of a polaris idler.
other is a test print. More colors coming, next up semi-transparent.

Attachments

• idlers.jpg
    idlers.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 37

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Have you ran those wheels yet? I’m curious to see how they hold up. We have 3D printed parts for race cars and found much more than switch holders or resi mounts is pushing it.

I'm leery of its use as well. Until proven (and I don't see that in the next decade or two); I'd put it right there with Powder Metal parts / technology (which I will NOT use, due to proven durability issues, and it's been around for at least 150 years; Wikipedia). Heck I've blown the snapping groove and bearings out of molded one piece UHMW wheels, also shattered powder metal sprockets and clutch weights. I'm surely not going to gamble on 3-D printing of plastic or metal parts.

But wish you well in your experiments; may the learning continue. Keep us updated either way, pass or fail?

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
I’ve read about 3D printed titanium suspension parts for cars and bikes. They are holding up well.

The printer we used was made by a buddy of mine from college. That was 12-14 years ago. He still had it and has a side business making rapid prototypes using the same printer.

Keep us updated on how they work out. Are you using 100% fill or honeycomb?

Premium Features