• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tips on breaking in a new sled

C

cadmo

Jan 25, 2009
Calgary, Alberta, canada
Hey everyone picking up my new 09 M1000 soon from my dealer. First new sled for myself.

what are some tips on to do while breaking it in or to check the first 500k?

and will putting a can on it from the start be a bad thing?

thanks in advance

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Ask the dealer about break in. I'm not sure about the M1000 but I heard the 09 M8 required heat soaking the engine a few times before riding it. Heat soak, as I understand it, is thoroughly warming up the engine and then letting it completely cool down.

Follow what the owner's manual says. Go easy on break in but not too easy. Lots of people say to ride it like a rental but I've had excellent results by doing it according to the manual.

Start off with a full tank of fuel and oil so you will be able to calculate the fuel/oil ratio when you top off each after the first tank of fuel.

Add the recommended amt of oil to the fuel and keep an eye on the oil tank to make sure the oil pump is working.

Your oil tank should use at least a qt of oil per 10 gallons of fuel. If like the M8 sleds, the ratio ends up around 28:1 running at 10,000' elev.

80arrow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2008
Grand Rapids MN
My local dealer said that both needed to have the heat cycles, more so on the 1000:confused:. He also said that the odometer should read around 20 miles or so if they did this. My buddy and I bought our 09 m8 from a differant dealer since ours didn't have any 09's, he never mentioned anything about this break in cycle. We ran the extra oil in the first tank of gas and they have been fine we broke them in the "old" way. We both have over 1000 miles on them with no probs. I don't think that a can will hurt it at all if you put it on right away.

C

cadmo

Jan 25, 2009
Calgary, Alberta, canada
Ya thats what i herd that you have to heat cycle it a few times and that it was more important on the 1000, but who knows ill just have to see what my dealer says.

cant wait im so pumped to go riding!!!

M

M8fever

Jan 3, 2010
Wyoming
Run it down a trail a couple of times 15-20 miles then get in the powder and pin it until your tired or out of gas.

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
Ask the dealer about break in. I'm not sure about the M1000 but I heard the 09 M8 required heat soaking the engine a few times before riding it. Heat soak, as I understand it, is thoroughly warming up the engine and then letting it completely cool down.

Follow what the owner's manual says. Go easy on break in but not too easy. Lots of people say to ride it like a rental but I've had excellent results by doing it according to the manual.

Start off with a full tank of fuel and oil so you will be able to calculate the fuel/oil ratio when you top off each after the first tank of fuel.

Add the recommended amt of oil to the fuel and keep an eye on the oil tank to make sure the oil pump is working.

Your oil tank should use at least a qt of oil per 10 gallons of fuel. If like the M8 sleds, the ratio ends up around 28:1 running at 10,000' elev.

I would do exactly this. Been there done that. You need the heat soak.

the procedure is to start the sled on a track stand. Hold the R' at a steady setting just above engagement so the track is spinning. Hold it there until the temp light comes on. Hold it for another 30 seconds or so. Shut it down and let it cool completely. the do this one more time the next day. After thay you will be good to go. When doing this make sure you get heat to the rear heat exchanger.

Good luck.

208_RMK

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 6, 2009
Idaho
do the heat soak deal make sure the oil pump is working (check oil level), first 100mi or so don't hold constant rpm (aka 50mph trail rides at same rpm) vary throttle rpms, then ride it like you want.

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
heat cycle, then run it hard from the get go, varying throttle a lot. I 've done this and have always had very strong running sleds.

Premium Features