• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Husky FE501 Bogging & Popping Issues

S
Mar 2, 2018
I have a 2016 FE501 that has been a dedicated snowbike for the past two winter seasons.

Admittedly, I have not done much maintenance on it other than oil changes since it became a full-time snow bike, but it has been very solid.

I got it out for the first time this season over the weekend and all seemed well until the first rough section where it began to bog really badly in a whooped out part of the trail. It seems like you're almost hitting the kill switch when you get into any bumpy sections on the trail. It starts and idles very easily and has fresh fuel in it.

It has always ran perfectly, so I was just hoping somebody had some advice to start troubleshooting this bogging issue.

mnsnowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2007
Dayton, Minnesota
Husky FE501 Bogging & Popping Issues

Check your ground and all wiring and connections for cracks and corrosion. Ktm wiring is a mess. Also have heard of fuel filters in tank plugging or the housing cracking. I haven’t had your problem but just relaying common things I’ve heard. Assuming you know to change your inline fuel filter as they plug easily.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lachoneus

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2009
same issues on different bike (2016 Yamaha YZF450X)

where are the filters on a Yamaha? My bike is harder to start than usual, wants to cut out and pop and crackle....thanks.

IShartd

Premium Member
Nov 30, 2007
Alpine County, CA
Change the inline conicle filter on the quick release. If it made it through that if there was a rip in the filter or something then debris most definitely made it to the injector then that bad boy will need to be pulled and cleaned.

J
Jun 13, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
I'll second the fuel filter ... I'll add that I chased a very similar issue on a KTM 350 this summer. It would run OK full tank and got worse as fuel went lower in the tank. Whoops made it worse.

Turned out the inline filter in the tank had cracked and would leak pressure when fuel was not covering it. So low fuel and or splashing fuel. Idle fine , low speed roll on was fine , throttle jabs or whoops it would fall on its face.

If you have never changed it , I would do it anyway, its not hard and they pick up a ton of bush material from the pump motor. All that I have changed had some pretty nasty black yuk blow out of them ( I always back blow a filter to check it )

The quick connect filter is pretty common , to the point that I keep a stock on hand so when bikes come through I can just change it , it's about 60% of the issues I see on the newer KTM's

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Fuel filters and checking the grounds/wiring are good leads. I had a bad ground on a similar bike and it caused all kids of weird running issues/popping before I got it sorted. Similar to what you are saying.

Sounds like you are due for fuel filters regardless....also *should* check the valve clearances, although I doubt that's causing this specific issue.

A
Nov 14, 2017
This might be a long shot, but it might be something to note. There is an ambient air sensor on the top of the throttle body of my 2014 450SXF that had a bit of moisture in it. For me the bike would run fine until the bike got cold enough to freeze that moisture into a small ice chunk. Then when the bike bounced around it would cause it to bog and struggle.

It was super frustrating and I spent many rides changing filters and trying to figure out what it was until I took that sensor off and cleaned/dried it out. Haven't had a problem since.

Premium Features