• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2015 Primary Clutch Replacement Options

L
Feb 21, 2011
Kremmling, CO
It appears my stock primary needs to be rebuilt. One of the weights pitted, developed a flat spot, and has eaten a roller. The other weights could use bushings and I can only assume the other rollers could as well. So, it needs to be rebuilt.

But, am I correct to think the cost to rebuild (parts, tools, and headache) is more than to replace entirely with a new primary?

If so, what are the top/best options? Can I run a TEAM RR as primary and a stock secondary? Where is the best source for a new primary?

I'm spinning a 153 3" PC on 7t driver with 2016+ arms and rails but stock everywhere else.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I think Thunder Products makes most replacement parts but, most of the stock stuff you can buy on Country Cat if you look at the snowmobile parts breakdown. Best of luck.

M

MDS

Nov 13, 2009
MDS Clutching

No problems we have a ton of customers that have done that with our RRC1s.

matt159

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Southwest Iowa
U can get a new team primary from racingstation. All assembled and ready to bolt on.

snowmow

Or have RacinStation rebuild your old one with a billet spider for less $ than a new team... then you can use the weights you already have (unless damaged) and you'll have the option to replace rollers, buttons, etc in your clutch next time it's due instead of buying a new spider or complete clutch.

Is this new team primary really better compared to the old style after adding a billet spider to it? Weights were fixed to the pin since 2004-ish, so no egged-out weights & worn pin issues like the new style weights will have eventually.

Is the 2016/17 team primary is better than a billet spider 2015 primary? I don't know, but would love to have the "why" explained to me by someone who knows. :noidea: --Matt

The 2018 zero deflection primary/secondary combo sounds like a real step forward to me (other than the eventual egged out weights & worn pin issue again)... but time will tell. --Matt

Last edited:
L
Feb 21, 2011
Kremmling, CO
Or have RacinStation rebuild your old one with a billet spider for less $ than a new team... then you can use the weights you already have (unless damaged) and you'll have the option to replace rollers, buttons, etc in your clutch next time it's due instead of buying a new spider or complete clutch.

Is this new team primary really better compared to the old style after adding a billet spider to it? Weights were fixed to the pin since 2004-ish, so no egged-out weights & worn pin issues like the new style weights will have eventually.

Is the 2016/17 team primary is better than a billet spider 2015 primary? I don't know, but would love to have the "why" explained to me by someone who knows. :noidea: --Matt

The 2018 zero deflection primary/secondary combo sounds like a real step forward to me (other than the eventual egged out weights & worn pin issue again)... but time will tell. --Matt

I definitely like the idea, but my weights are shot. My thought is, once I'm into all the tools and parts to rebuild, I'm very near the cost of replacement. Would you agree?

matt159

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Southwest Iowa
I definitely like the idea, but my weights are shot. My thought is, once I'm into all the tools and parts to rebuild, I'm very near the cost of replacement. Would you agree?

If you are buying tools to rebuild it yourself, then yes it's much more expensive than buying a new calibrated team primary... especially since you will have to re-balance the clutch after installing a new spider.

Send RacinStation a PM & ask about pricing for each scenario. I don't understand all the excitement about the 2016 team primary... I have liked the way the 2004-2015 weights are fixed to the pin so they aren't a wear item unless you seize a roller or fail to locktite an allen screw.

Premium Features