• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Question for all you M8 Riders

Powderhound

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho
I am new to Arctic Cat this year. I purchased an 09 M8 sno pro. Born and raised on cats rode all through high school. Five years ago got back into sledding and have been on a 04 and 07 Revs. Went skidoo cause it was what all my buddies were riding. Anywho... had a conversation with a gentleman that has knocked all the wind out of my sail. I am so exited to be on an M8 I can hardly stand it. I was talking and this person tells me " I hate to break it to you ... but your cat will not even be close to youer 07 rev." You will hate your cat for lack of power. Even more the powerclaw is crap and you need to get a new track if you want to have any fun at all. You will be digging out all day. The powerclaw is a trenching machine and you will hate it.... I inform him that i have already ordered an SLP kit (y-pipe, can, pipe and clutch kit. ) the sled already has an air intake. He says doesnt matter unless you turbo it will never hang with the ski-doo. He also informs me that he rides and owns ski-doos and cats. The cat although fun to ride will never have the throttle resopnse of the rev, or be able to hang with the rev on the mountain. WIll someone please tell me that I have not made a 7,000.00 mistake ... know that people can be brand loyal. But i hope that he is full of crap. Someone please make me fell better ...

Thanks

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
sounds like the guy wears yellow underwear. dont worry about it. the M8 is an AWESOME platform. it will preform fine and be more than competitive with the doos. gotta take peoples comments with a grain of salt.

i was a diehard doo, yamaha guy. switched to the M8 last season to get away from too much rider forward on the rv/xp and the yamaha (tanks). it was the best switch i have made to date. my wife and i really enjoy the cats.

i had one small problem taken care of by the greatest dealer on the planet (michelle at oregon trail sports, she goes by freeagent on here). i replaced the diamond drive bearing before we ever rode them to upgrade it prior to a problem. (see the thread in the cat section under m series).

you should not be dissapointed at all with your purchase. wait for the snow and have a blast. ski

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
The power claw is not a trencher! He is full of crap! He must be a huge tool bag!:face-icon-small-ton

You have a sweet sled that will float with the best of them!

The piped '09 M8 will make a '07 rev look slow! and will be 200 times funner to ride!:thumb:

Track that guy down when the snow flys and show him how wrong he was!:face-icon-small-hap

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
Sounds like this guy is pissed off because he gets beat by a lot of cats....there is no truth to any of that.

S

seth25

Jan 9, 2008
Sedalia, CO
Yep, pure BS. You have a great sled there. Be sure to open up the diamond drive and inspect the bearing. Otherwise, no other known big problems with that sled.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Some folks don't live in the same world as the rest of us.

Their 4 cyl. ranger is better than any cummins, powerstroke....

Their 96 neon is the fastest thing made

and their 07 rev beats up on 09 M8's... (oh yeah, the track on that sled that all my friends hated is the king in the pow too...)

There isn't a single point in what your mentally challenged friend said that hold water. It is possible that he owns an 07 M8 (didn't do very well stock at all) and hasn't a clue how to set it up, but is very good at setting up his doo. That's about the only scenario that I can think of where someone would make those kind of comments.

The rev has a ton of POTENTIAL, but the same can be said of the cat, either one is a good platform to work off of.

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
Yeah that Is just absolutely ridiculous. Sounds like somebody is just trying to get you fired up but I guarantee that guy is going to have a long winter. If you need some peace of mind I have ported cylinders and and powercommander 5 to go along with your SLP pipe that I am looking to sell for a very reasonable price. PM me for more info.

Powderhound

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho
Yeah that Is just absolutely ridiculous. Sounds like somebody is just trying to get you fired up but I guarantee that guy is going to have a long winter. If you need some peace of mind I have ported cylinders and and powercommander 5 to go along with your SLP pipe that I am looking to sell for a very reasonable price. PM me for more info.

I am in Pocatello call me on the commander 221-5257 .. thanks

S

sled-fiend

Nov 27, 2006
Victoria, BC
www.raintek.ca
What a hater that fool is. Chalk it up and spank him on the hill:)

BTW I've owned both an 07 Rev 800R and an 09 M8. I'd take the M8 hands down any day!

Last edited:
J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
07 Rev and a piped 09 M8 are very close in power if the Rev has a good clutch setup. The Rev feels like it hits way harder because of more weight transfer and more midrange torque, but in a race they're very close....defintely close enough that it would depend more on rider weight and technique than sled. My stock 07 Rev with rooster built clutch ran neck in neck with 2010 M8's everytime.

The handling is night and day and it's really preference as to which you prefer. I don't think you went wrong at all, all the new sleds are great.....people who think one stock sled "smokes" another one are morons....

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I've been on 04-07 revs and they do have more power. More bottom end snort. The cats are way better in the trees. On the hills the doo wins. In the trees the cat wins. On the trail the doo wins. Who ever said the pc is a trencher is crazy.

M
Aug 22, 2009
Minnesota
That's funny!

That guy is blowing alot of sailboat fuel up your a$$! I ride with a couple guys that have the revs. I see the exact opposite for results. Bottom, mid, and top the M pulls more. Don't play on the trails so I couldn't tell ya. Probaly gonna get some flack for this but he's kinda right about the powerclaw. Good all around track. But if you ride where it's always powder with no base the camo extremme 2.5 is way better.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
He is just trying to justify the money he wasted on the doo. I can take a 09 m8 places the doo wont go. The only advantage the doo has is catching air, and obviously this guy got way to high:smokin::hippie:. If you put on the performance package you will run with the 2010 M8's, a 2010 and older doo wont touch it even with the same mods. I was a Doo guy but when theres something better I can't pass it up. Just make sure you have it setup right, it is far easier to make a cat not perform than any other but if its setup right, (motor, clutching, and suspension) they have dominated.

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
Probaly gonna get some flack for this but he's kinda right about the powerclaw. Good all around track. But if you ride where it's always powder with no base the camo extremme 2.5 is way better.

Nope... Gunna have to disagree on that!:nerd:

If there is a base under the fluff the CE rocks, but if there is no base.... Power Claw wins! Suspension set up will make the Claw rock!:thumb:

M
Aug 22, 2009
Minnesota
Nope... Gunna have to disagree on that!:nerd:

If there is a base under the fluff the CE rocks, but if there is no base.... Power Claw wins! Suspension set up will make the Claw rock!:thumb:

That's not the results that we've seen. Same sleds w/ the 2 different tracks side by side. The powerclaw does trench more. Like I said, I'm gonna get some flack cause everyone loves the powerclaw. Powerclaw is probaly the best track all around. But.....

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
That's not the results that we've seen. Same sleds w/ the 2 different tracks side by side. The powerclaw does trench more. Like I said, I'm gonna get some flack cause everyone loves the powerclaw. Powerclaw is probaly the best track all around. But.....

There is only one way your coming up with Power Claw and trenching in the same sentence! And that is YOUR SET UP IS OFF!:face-icon-small-ton

Or you are a 300 pound dude on a 153" M1000! THAT SET UP WILL TRENCH!:face-icon-small-win

Premium Features