• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Becoming A Mod Builder

I've watched the last three Thunderstruck Films produced by Jim Phelan and the members of Team Thunderstruck, and I've been thinkin about what to do after highschool, and so I put two and two together, why not do something you love for the rest of your life, sounds really good to me, I love seeing the biggest monsters of the snowmobile industry get beaten on, and I love figuring out what makes them so insanly powerful, Id love to build, sell, and ride those monsters for a living, but I know it would be hard starting out, if you or anyone have any tips for me, id love to hear them, Thank you much.

K

knee deep in it

Nov 21, 2007
calgary
the easiest way to become a millionaire in the snowmobile industry is to start with 2 million.

Get a job sweeping the floor and work hard. Get your mechanics certificates, save your money, and try to find like minded hard working people to partner with. If you still love the industry in 10 years, invest your life savings.

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
I love cars, horsepower, diesel power, sleds, etc. etc. When i was your age i thought i wanted to work in the same industry i spent all my time playing. Then i started talking to people about it, and i found that the sport or hobby they loved so much turned into to regular old work once they got their career in it. I'm not trying to steer you away from your dreams - as it may be the right choice for you. But i love sledding, horsepower, etc BECAUSE it's not work!

M

mtn_extreme

Nov 11, 2002
Nampa, Idaho
As quick said, I made my hobby my livelyhood once and no longer enjoyed my hobby. After I finally got out of the business I enjoyed the hobby again (and I had time to do it).

G
Nov 30, 2007
I went to college for automotive technology and hated working on other peoples stuff, now I work parts in a shop and love it! Im responsible for 99% of snowmobile stuff, just work hard at it. your gonna have to start at the bottom though! I started out as just an entry level parts counter person, now Im second in charge! I also built the owners/demo mpi stage 1 s/c nytro! because I pushed so hard for it the owner wants to start building MODs sleds! we have built a mcx phazer and apex already! and its real nice to have all days off in the winter I want and if it snows more then 6" they dont epect me to come in and my boss calls me to see where im riding so he can meet me there!:D

its cool to have a dream the easy thing to do is find a guy with a lot of money that likes mod sleds work for him other than that go to college get a high paying job stay away from the sled industry except for your self build your own i work and run a shop i am still in the red on my sled shop

snownman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 11, 2007
work after highschool

if snowmobiling is something your interested in doing, you dont want to work on them all the time or you will hate them. ive been a mechanic for 27 plus years. i do a lot of mod sled building in my spare time, problem is it turns out that you have NO spare time. i used to ride 3500 plus miles a year, now its maybe 350 and most of that is tuning time. plus if you dont have 15000 plus dollars in basic tools much less having a welder, press, bandsaw, etc.etc. you dont have anything to work with. if your just starting out you can work for a dealer (sled) but they dont pay real well. plus most of them dont do the one off mods. much anymore so you have trouble getting MOD. build experience, if you like wrenchin go to school for auto, diesel, aircraft etc. that will give you some mechanical experience and give you time to build a tool supply to work with. and you will have a steady income while you do it, not tryin to discourage you but there are many variables to consider, like summer months. building mod. sleds is very rewarding but you spend countless hours paying attention to detail, fit and finish, fabricating brackets, parts etc. just something for you to think about.

G
Nov 30, 2007
As quick said, I made my hobby my livelyhood once and no longer enjoyed my hobby. After I finally got out of the business I enjoyed the hobby again (and I had time to do it).

I didnt like making my hobby, my livelyhood either(car mechanic) but when I applied it to sleds it was my niche, I guess! I havent gotten bored with it as a hobby even though i do it for work too!

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
Just throwing out an idea. If your interested in doing things like this I would recommend going out and getting a mechanical engineering degree so you have a basis for design. Then spend as much time as you can in shops turning wrenches and learning how to avoid engineering pitfalls of designing things that are difficult to work on. The degree will allow you to get a good paying job that will support you during your early times while learning and trying to get established, and it is a great safety net for future economic downturns or if you decide to pull the pin on the sled building dream.

K
Dec 31, 2007
get a job in a shop and go to technical training. I wanted to do the same but when it comes down to it you need alot of hand on experience. i know a little but when my motor guy starts talking details of motors, clutching, fuel i realize i have a long way to go.

aswell consider how much you like the sport if you get to be a good motor builder guess when your busy season is. the guy that does my stuff gets to ride a couple times a year.

for me well pipefitting can be put on hold the snow is here :D

G
Nov 28, 2007
Montana
startin'

MMI in Phoenix and Florida is a nice place to start. With all the new technology trickling down to snowmobiles, its really worth a look. Remember. horsepower ISNT the only thing that lets these crazies tame those monster hills. It has to reach the snow. MMI teaches suspension and electrical basics and even advanced areas that might become applicable. Good luck on your start. :)

Transporter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
When you build other people sleds and use their money putting together a sweet mod sled with other companies parts isnt that hard.

Premium Features