• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Another Rino question

347strokin

Sep 1, 2008
Peachland, BC
Hey guys,

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a Garmin Rino. I was leaning towards just getting a 120 model. Can you get TOPO on the 120?

There are so many different models now and in the past, are there any other models I should be having a look at such as a 530HCX?

What are the benefits of the more advanced and pricier models available now?

I'm new to GPS's altogether. Thanks for the input!

adairtd1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 23, 2011
La Grande, Oregon
It says you can load topo maps according to the compatible maps section on the garmin website, but the Rino 120 only has 8mb of memory, so that it wont hold hardly anything.

The 120 and 530HCx models are old, I would look at the Rino 650 and 655t touchscreen units. I have a 655t and used it all last season, and it worked perfectly in the cold weather. I have the high-res topo maps installed, and I have satellite imagery installed that will overlay over the topo maps, so I can see that too.

The 655t has a built in digital camera, and has the topo maps pre-loaded on the unit. The 650 lacks the pre loaded maps, and the digital camera. Both have micro SD slots to add memory cards for more maps/satellite imagery.

It is really nice to have all of my riding and hunting areas loaded up with the satellite maps, so I can see if there are any clearings or anything up somewhere I have not been before.

The newer models are also a lot easier to change settings with, poll other rino users, etc, not having that joystick and using touchscreen instead.

347strokin

Sep 1, 2008
Peachland, BC
Good points. Appreciate the info. Looks like I may have to pony up a few more $. I did read reviews on the 120 that said navigating on it was difficult.

347strokin

Sep 1, 2008
Peachland, BC
Just checked out the price on the 655T! :face-icon-small-con
Can you take the pics you take from the GPS to your computer?
If you dont mind me asking, did you find any deals on the 655?

347strokin

Sep 1, 2008
Peachland, BC
Damn, just noticed the 655T is only available in the US, not in Canada. Canada only has a 650 and no camera function which I'm really liking. Looks like I'll be getting mine shipped to a US address.

adairtd1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 23, 2011
La Grande, Oregon
Just checked out the price on the 655T! :face-icon-small-con
Can you take the pics you take from the GPS to your computer?
If you dont mind me asking, did you find any deals on the 655?

I just PM'd you the photo, showing the picture quality, but I will post it here for others to see. I took this last year of an Elk I took, and I did not clean the sensor or anything, my hunting partner took this photo for me. Supposedly there have been image quality improvements with newer firmware revisions, but I have not had a chance to test it yet. Not the best camera, but not horrible either. If you hold real still, it can take fairly good photos.

7952800174_60028dc940_k.jpg

As far as deals on them go, I got one of them the moment came out, and my local sporting goods store had several of them that they pre-ordered. I think I paid $449 for mine at the time, but I know they go for much more most everywhere else.

347strokin

Sep 1, 2008
Peachland, BC
Right on, thanks guys. Ordered a 655T from The Digital Oasis for $492. It's still weird they don't offer that model in Canada.

WileyCoyote

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007

Bought 534 new 2 years ago from walmart.com for around $258. after $50 mail in rebate i'd check there off in on for a deal.

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
Just got a 650 for around $440 from cabelas. Best deal i noticed over last few months (for the 650 anyways)

Premium Features