• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rkt Secondary Fix??

M
Jan 5, 2010
i have an 05 m7 and im trying to decide if i want to spend the money to rkt kits that is said to fix the problems that im having. does anyone run this kit and if so how much does it help? thanks

AaronBND

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2005
Cascade Mnts, OR.
I just ordered one to try myself. Spent quite a bit of time with him on the phone and he said the stock secondary is "mechanically broken". I don't really understand that because of how simple of a task it has. Basically a spring pushing rollers up a ramp to me. He says it does not shift out all the way. I don't know if it's the orange spring or the helix or what. I will try it, and if I don't like it's results have one for sale. If I like it, I will stand behind what he says and promote it for him.

Aaron

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
I just ordered one to try myself. Spent quite a bit of time with him on the phone and he said the stock secondary is "mechanically broken". I don't really understand that because of how simple of a task it has. Basically a spring pushing rollers up a ramp to me. He says it does not shift out all the way. I don't know if it's the orange spring or the helix or what. I will try it, and if I don't like it's results have one for sale. If I like it, I will stand behind what he says and promote it for him.

Aaron

When are you going to be able to test the new clutch on the snow ?
Been thinking about his set-up myself, but been dragging my feet.

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
Tested my new RKT secondary on my 1000 today. Mixed results but I'm going to call Kelsey. The sheaves would open and stay open (like you were loading a belt) and I would lose all belt tension. I'd have to physically remove the belt to get the clutch to close and then I'd have to re-mount the belt. Happened twice in deep champagne. Mo-Flow side vents seems to let the extremely fine snow in... but I don't see how it would effect this clutch in that way.

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
Tested my new RKT secondary on my 1000 today. Mixed results but I'm going to call Kelsey. The sheaves would open and stay open (like you were loading a belt) and I would lose all belt tension. I'd have to physically remove the belt to get the clutch to close and then I'd have to re-mount the belt. Happened twice in deep champagne. Mo-Flow side vents seems to let the extremely fine snow in... but I don't see how it would effect this clutch in that way.

Rush44, let us know what you find out, please.

I would assume something is in the wrong place in the clutch. Keep us posted

F
Jan 9, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Same kind of thing happened to me I think, took it apart and reassembled and worked fine. I think it's easy to not put enough preload on the spring, make sure you index the spring and cover with enough tension.

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
sounds good bosscat! hope to hear good word because i want my sled ripping perfectly. @rush do you think it was worth the money?

Still have not run it in perfect working order, so I'm not really qualified to say. However, it seems pretty impossible to find someone on Snowest who says it's a waste of money or not a good mod. I've heard from numerous people saying that it's the best M1000 mod for the money.

I will update on performance after tomorrow's ride.

AaronBND

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2005
Cascade Mnts, OR.
When are you going to be able to test the new clutch on the snow ?
Been thinking about his set-up myself, but been dragging my feet.

I should have it in hand on Monday. I am not sure when I will be able to test it, as we just don't have enough snow to do any real hillclimbing. I will almost guarantee you will not notice a big difference on the trail. Where you are going to really get the RKT clutch to shine is on track speed hillclimbing. I will give an update once I get to pull some deep powder climbs.

Aaron

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Your picture in the other post looks like your missing a piece of the kit. The lower spring retainer.
But I,ve never seen a complete RKT kit???

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
I've been messaging back and forth with Kelsey at RKT today. All my problems are due to an incorrect install from the previous owner. Don't let my issues effect your decision to purchase this mod. Kelsey really seems to know his stuff and there are countless posts on this forum that will testify to it's performance.

I'll report back with performance after I get the kit properly running.

Premium Features