• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Truck Tires

S

Smoothlander

Dec 13, 2007
W.C. Minnesota
Thanks for all the replies guy's. I was planning on going with the BFG's in 285/70R17 but am having trouble understanding why they are $250+ each.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
This last spring I purchsed a set of Hankook ATM RF10 285/75R 16 LR E and they ride alot smoother than my BFG AT 265/75 R16 LR D and last week we got some snow in town and i wanted to see how my RF10s performed in the snow. To be fair i took my sled deck out(about 600-700 lbs.) and drove my Exploder(about 4,500 lbs) with 31x10.50 BFG AT with 15,000 mi. my F-250 gas (about 6,200 lbs)with Michelin LTX (old) with 40,000 mi.(equals about 50% tread), , and my F-350 Diesel (about 7,000 lbs)with the RF10s with less than 1,000 mi. Hands down the Hankooks were the best on the snow but they are the newest tire and on the heaviest truck. I also went sledding last saturday and i towed my 4,300 lb trailer on an icy road all the way to the hills in 2wd and two of my buddys also F-350s had to use 4wd because they were sliding(they had smaller trailers too) and finally the best news for last, I saved over a hundred dollars buying the hankooks (Less than $800) instead of the BFG AT.
My Exploder is my daily driver and i am very pleased with the BFG AT in the snow but my diesel with the Hankooks seems to have more traction under accleration. Maybe its the weight difference? Maybe its the tire? Now if my F-250 had BFG AT that would be a more fair comparison.
Just trying to give a real world unbiased opinion.

Ford428CJ

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2009
Klamath Falls, Oregon
have you looked into deck cepek fc-II's? ive had mine on for a good 10,000 miles and they are the best tire i have every put on my truck..ive went through bfg at, pro comp, you name it..as far as snow, they are pretty good but they are also 37/13.50 so i figured they wouldnt be the best..

TIRE3.jpg

I love those tires!!! I put some on my last P/U and ran them for a while before I sold the P/U. I liked them better then my Toyo M/T's personally (including BFG M/T, Avon SXT's, Super Swampers and so on that I had over the years). I will be going back to them. They do really well on the ice too. A a quite tire to boot! DC Fun Country II are hard to beat. JMHO

B
Feb 27, 2010
At work we run BFG All-Terrain 265x75 R16's on all our trucks. They grip great in the snow, decent on ice and are also good on the gravel and in mud. They seem pretty durable too, none of them have wore a whole lot even after all the hard back road miles we've put on them. Go for a high load rating though, i've heard that the lower load rating bfg's aren't nearly as durable. As for my personal truck, I have 325x80R16 Procomp X-Terrains, I'll never get those same kind again, hoping to go to BFG all-terrains on that rig as well. Go with the all-terrains, you wont be sorry

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
I personally run 35x12.50R17 Toyo MTs that are siped on my 03 Cummins. Great tire with lots of traction.

Personally I think people put too much emphasis on skinny tires.

Skinny tires are great for snow packed roads and ice, but on a 7500 lb pickup, the extra width really helps in the deep snow. I've seen diesels time and time again with 265s stuck in the parking lot.

My truck came with BFG 285/70R17 BFG ATs and they were great in the snow. Don't notice much difference on ice, they were maybe a little better, but I really don't mind the Toyos. In deep snow the Toyos are far superior.

Although, I wouldn't mind going to the 315/70R17 BFG ATs to compare. Might try them next.

Over the last 10 years I've almost always run mud tires. Had BFG MT KMs, Pro Comp MTs, Pro Comp Extreme MTs, and now the Toyos. Had the Cooper STs inbetween and my current truck came with BFG ATs. I've always liked the mud tires in the snow. The noise is more though. That would be my main reason to go back to an AT.

N

Nelson

Nov 30, 2007
Libby, Montana/Elko, Nevada
Hey Glenn, if you're interested in trying a set of 315/70R17 BFG AT's I have a set I'd sell for $200

They've only been used for winter use and I didn't like them on my Dodge. They're probably 60% tread life left. I could probably talk to Jeremy if you're interested and the next time he's in Libby could possibly bring them back for you.

BFG_2.jpg

BFG_1.jpg

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Anybody have any experience with the Yokohama Geolander AT-S tires on a heavy duty truck? I had a set of P tires on my Expedition and have been extremely impressed with their traction and handling, but the expedition is a lot different vehicle in weight and handling than my new Super Duty.

Also, any other people have any reviews of the Hankook Dynapro AT-M?

They look like a nice tread pattern also, decently aggressive, but just curious if any other people have tried them and any thoughts.:beer;

I'm gonna go with a 285/75/16 size as the 265 stockers are looking a little small with the front end leveling kit... just want to fill in the wheel well just a tad more....

Yokohama Geolander AT-S - Tirerack.com

Hankook Dynapro ATM RF-10 - Tireseasy.com

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
The best winter tires that I've run to date...

Goodyear Wranger Dura Trac.... 30k on them on Duramax Diesel pulling heavy trailers... about 3/4 worn.

These are studdable and have a VERY agressive A/T tread on them. Siped as well for good ice traction.

gy_wranglerdt_owl_1000.jpg

Last edited:

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
So I decided to go with some BFG TA KO 285/75/16s on my Super Duty on Sunday... gotta say, loving them so far, great ride and look sweet:D

Now I just need some snow to test em out on:face-icon-small-hap

S
Dec 29, 2008
White Salmon, WA
Try Hankook

I put the Hankook AT tires on my F250 and love them. I can run them all year and they work great in snow. The BFG KO's were WAY too expensive now for the F250, so I saved a couple hundred with the kooks.

F
Nov 8, 2008
Lowry, Minnesota
Glad to hear some good things about the General Grabber AT2's on here. I ran them on my 2wd '98 Ranger last winter for the first time and that little truck went thru more snow and slush than it ever has in the 11 years I've been driving it. Gonna put a set on my Powerstroke this month and it's good to hear that they work good on the bigger trucks too. I ran Terra Grapplers on the diesel for the last three winters, and they were a pretty good tire, but the Grabber is cheaper and looks better.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
The best winter tires that I've run to date...

Goodyear Wranger Dura Trac.... 30k on them on Duramax Diesel pulling heavy trailers... about 3/4 worn.

These are studdable and have a VERY agressive A/T tread on them. Siped as well for good ice traction.

gy_wranglerdt_owl_1000.jpg

I put a set of those on my work truck 10,000 miles ago ..... they work great in mud too I haven't had the chance to try them in snow yet .... they're quiet too....

Premium Features