• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 m8 reverse grind noise, dd inspection question

G

glaciermonkey

Dec 6, 2007
skidro willey, wa
hi,
on my last ride in heavy wet powder my diamond drive or something from the lower left side made a crunchy grinding noise in reverse so i got the sled on flat hard pack area and tested reverse again to see if the noise was still there. it happened again so i road back to the truck, gently, and had no problems.

now i have the dd apart but i'm not sure if i'm seeing anything to worry about. no metal, i drained the oil(valvoline synthetic gear oil 75/90) through a clean rag and i don't see any metal. the oil was dirty but not bad looking. 1000 miles on sled, separated and cleaned dd at 550 miles, 6203 looks good but i have the 5203 to go in this time

here is my questions and i have some pics to help

*are the marks on the brass shims of the planetary very bad? they all look and feel in good shape other than the stains or burns on the right side of the pic, no wear marks.

*how do i inspect the movement of the planetary gears? i assume some is normal, up down, diagonal, but not side to side?

*for the second pic, the gear on the left of the cover, not the one the clutch mounts too, i can tip that gear side to side a bit, if i press on it i can see it getting closer to the cover kind of movement. bad or normal?

thanks for reading all this and any good info

Attachments

• SDC14179.jpg
    SDC14179.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 104
  • SDC14176.jpg
    SDC14176.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 113

Woody67

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 5, 2008
Bellingham, WA
dd looks good...other than the transfer gear bearing they don't go bad very often on stock sleds. If you have too much belt deflection your noises could be coming from your clutches. It will be more prone to slip in reverse. May not be it but something to check.

Last edited:

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
The torsional setup grinds real bad if the dogs don't catch the groove and spread the sheaves open letting the belt slip and no reverse.

Wrenchmaster

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
B.C. Canada
I know this us a super old thread, I have this problem with my '09 M8T CPC stage II kit and Dalton secondary setup, grinds and bogs in reverse, makes a horrible noise, I know it's not my DD because I put a BDX high torque setup in it and lightweight axl, it measured up good for clearances too. Has anyone found a fix for this probelm? mine will reverse but makes a ton of noise, then will bog out and stop moving, very annoying

Premium Features