• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lectron on a 450 XCW

U

UPsnowbiker

Oct 29, 2014
U.P. of Michigan
Opinions please

I'm in UP of Michigan and have a 2010 450 XCW. I just had the top end done and the bike is set up well for my use as a snowbike and dualsport and I would like to keep it for a few more years if possible. I have a 300xc now for woods that will take a lot of wear away from it.

Besides a lectron for the winter I'm interested in it for trips to mountain elevations as well.

It costs about $750.

Does this seem like a worthy purchase if I want to run this bike for a few more years.

I know 300 owners swear by them but I haven't heard too much about 4 strokes.

Thanks

yooper01

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2014
I know a guy who knows a guy who talked to a guy who said lectron on 4 strokes work good.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Tride

Premium Member
Sep 29, 2010
Bozeman MT
No accelerator pump, I believe. I'd call Lectron. What don't you like about the Keihen?

yooper01

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2014
No accelerator pump, I believe. I'd call Lectron. What don't you like about the Keihen?
Higher idle rpm of 2200ish keeps the Venturi up and compensated for the lack of pump.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

K
Jan 3, 2017
Kx500 Lectron

All I can tell you is I like mine. I have a 40mm on my kx500 and it performed awesome for me. I was running a little rich back here in Minnesota and when I went out to west Yellowstone rejected a half turn leaner and it ran awesome! Never touched it the whole trip. It seemed a little complicated at first especially going from a stock carb. But now I view it as simplier. I encourage you to give Them a call. +1 (830) 331-2235 They have always been more than happy to field any questions I had, hope this helps.

Tride

Premium Member
Sep 29, 2010
Bozeman MT
All I can tell you is I like mine. I have a 40mm on my kx500 and it performed awesome for me. I was running a little rich back here in Minnesota and when I went out to west Yellowstone rejected a half turn leaner and it ran awesome! Never touched it the whole trip. It seemed a little complicated at first especially going from a stock carb. But now I view it as simplier. I encourage you to give Them a call. +1 (830) 331-2235 They have always been more than happy to field any questions I had, hope this helps.

2T vs 4T is a whole different kettle of fish. Maybe the high idle makes the difference, but non-AC Pump 4ts suck.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
4 stroke LECTRON

I ran a 40mm LECTRON on my 04 WR450 YAMAHA. I have been a Lectron fan for 30k plus years so I had to give it a try.

When I ordered the carb from Lectron ( the only way to go price wise ) they had just finished a new Lectron Carb model just for 4 stroke singles.

The difference in the 4 stroke model is a separate air mixture adjuster for idle to low mid range so you can run a really clean throttle responsive low end.

Worked far better, throttle response wise, than my worked over bigger accelerator pump three or four needle KEIHIN.

Do you need an accelerator pump for a four stroke carb to work well ? obviously not, the lectron gave me really far better tight trees, jump up the bank, linear power closer to my fuelie bike than the Keihin did.

On my two strokes the Lectron was far more fuel efficient than a well tune KEIHIN. On the 4 stroke, not a big difference in fuel consumption, better, but not $500 better.

When I moved on to a FI KTM, I put the WR back into a dual sport type of bike for resale. WOW, after 4 years of dick'n with the WR cams/lcarb/ignition it was just to hot throttle response wise for pavement or dirt. To make a deal with the buyer , I reinstalled the stock KEIHIN and that mellowed out the bike. I didn't realize on the snow how much snotty'er I had made the old WR450.

Sold the 4 stroke LECTRON on Ebay for $400 first day. Cost $500 new if I recall.

S
Jan 13, 2011
09 YZ450f

Hey I'm a little late for your question but thought I'd chime in. I was just like you and tired of re-jetting the stock carb because I used to ride dirt at 2500ft and snow at 8000-10000ft. So I picked up a 38mm powerjet Lectron for my 09 YZ450f that's been big bored to 472.

I've been very happy with the carb on both dirt and snow. Bike starts within 2 kicks every time and pulls hard through all rpm ranges. When changing elevations I notice I only have to adjust the idle occasionally which is very easy to do, other than that I just kick it and go! In the winters I went a 1/4 turn out on the metering rod but didn't have to change the rod itself. For the powerjet you'll just have to make adjustments and do some testing but it's very simple and you can adjust on the mountain without issue.

The one thing I would suggest with any carbed snowbike is getting a thermostat, carb heater and an intake. I'm running an AVID heater with the Yeti intake and really dig it.

If you do end up getting the Lectron, ask them about the lighter throttle spring. It really helped with throttle fatigue. Feel free to pm me if you have some questions.

Lachoneus

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2009
Smart Carb experiences

I have 3 Smart Carbs for sale cheap if anybody wants them.....that is what my experience with them has been. But in their defense I am not a wrencher. And nobody around me knows how to work on them, etc.

U

UPsnowbiker

Oct 29, 2014
U.P. of Michigan
Hey I'm a little late for your question but thought I'd chime in. I was just like you and tired of re-jetting the stock carb because I used to ride dirt at 2500ft and snow at 8000-10000ft. So I picked up a 38mm powerjet Lectron for my 09 YZ450f that's been big bored to 472.

I've been very happy with the carb on both dirt and snow. Bike starts within 2 kicks every time and pulls hard through all rpm ranges. When changing elevations I notice I only have to adjust the idle occasionally which is very easy to do, other than that I just kick it and go! In the winters I went a 1/4 turn out on the metering rod but didn't have to change the rod itself. For the powerjet you'll just have to make adjustments and do some testing but it's very simple and you can adjust on the mountain without issue.

The one thing I would suggest with any carbed snowbike is getting a thermostat, carb heater and an intake. I'm running an AVID heater with the Yeti intake and really dig it.

If you do end up getting the Lectron, ask them about the lighter throttle spring. It really helped with throttle fatigue. Feel free to pm me if you have some questions.

Thank you very much.

I may take you up on the PM if I decide to get one.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Just wondering why you would choose a lectron over the smart carb?

Smart carb requires a needle change to adjust the top end fueling.
And they are very finicky requiring adjusting almost every ride.

I haven't touched my Lectron since I put it in 2 months ago.
Literally installed and had 10-15% better torque and power than the best I ever had with the smarty or kiehin.

I didn't even have to set the idle.

*300 2 stroke Enduro bike

jaredXwoodsman

Lifetime Membership
Aug 22, 2011
Deerfield, NH
I can only speak of my experience on my 300, now a 330. Lectron has been great to deal with since day one. The setup when my bike was a 300 was great. And since boring my bike out to a 330 before summer the set up I bought from them has worked flawlessly. I've only had to adjust the idle when we had high humidity this summer. I was hoping to compare my fuel milage on my 330 to a couple stock 300's a few weeks ago on a 300 mile ride but unfortunately I decided to shatter my wrist 4 days beforehand. I can say that the Lectern seems to sip fuel. I would definitely look into getting a carb heater if you decide to get one. They are worth the extra money. Like stated previously give them a call. They stand behind their product 100%. Smart Carbs are nice too but with them already going under once and Lectron being around for 30+ years I think they are your best bet!

Last edited:
Premium Features