• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cutting a 3" track to 2.5"

A
Jan 4, 2015
Canada
Due to the common tearing seen at the lug / rod interface on these tracks in Eastern Canada, we were brainstorming for solutions.
Looking at the previous track on the XM’s, the tip of the lugs was thin and flexible, but the base was thick and pretty robust. Theses tracks last a long time.
Thus we thought about cutting a 3” track to 2.5” to get the thicker base on the mat.
Here, most of the riders run the 2.5” for durability and overall performance reason anyways.
We figured we’d loose a bit of performance on light snow conditions compared to a original 2.5” but we see crappy snow most the time and durability is paramount. Maybe even gain performance in more setup snow ?
Any of you guys ever tried that way ?

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
I have not cut the particular tracks you are referring to , I have trimmed a few tracks , they seem to trench a bit more , if I was to do it again , I would trim to desired height and then try to get special pliers and cut “v” shapes along the top edge like those challenger tracks have .

Let us know how you make out .

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Durability will be increased , I was just trying to add that the notching the the leading edge might decrease the trenching .

Last edited:
J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
You will likely gain performance in hard/spring/set up snow. You will definitely have a trencher in deep snow/powder...100%

Premium Features