• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutching changes for 2.6” PC upgrade

E
Apr 8, 2016
Clutching changes for 2.6” PC upgrade

Hey Guys,
I recently upgraded my M7 A20 162x2.25 to a new PC 2.6”. I am very impressed with how the new track performs but I still need to make some clutching changes to get my RPM back up to ~8k. I am running an RKT torsional secondary, yellow primary spring with 65g weights, RKT billet head and SLP can. I had it dialed in perfectly before the track swap, but lost 200-300 rpm on powder climbs which is noticeable. My question is what would be the proper way to regain the Rpm? Just drop 1-2 grams on primary weights? I have been considering regearing as well but don’t expect that alone to get my top end back where it needs to be. Does secondary spring tension come into play here?
I’m riding from 9-12k ft in mostly dry CO powder.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. To hang with the guys I’m riding with I need this old girl to be really dialed in.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
I had that secondary set up on my m1000 a bit ago. If you are dropping RPM because of better hook up with the new track, you are just not shifting out as much as before with the added traction...and are seeing a different ratio that isn't holding Rs. That secondary can be sensitive to changes with this set-up...I found that the tighter the better. If you were pulling good Rs before, but not now I suspect you are just not backshifting as well as before. For me, I go after the secondary and increase tension. I ran a lot of preload on mine...worked well out of the hole and would hold Rs on long climbs. Not sure how the RKT is set up now, but I'd tighten up 3 to 4 holes if you can. Try that. Also, install a fresh primary spring. If you aren't getting Rs still, I'd consider a primary spring change. And gearing lower...check shift out on slow powder pulls with primary using marker, but I suspect you'll benefit from lower gearing...get the clutches spinning similar to before and shift out more...is more efficient. Good luck.

E
Apr 8, 2016
Thanks for the insight guys, looks like I will be playing with the secondary a bit. I believe tension is set as tight as possible, but I’ll double check that.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
need alittle more

with the 2005 -06 DD secondary where you have the ability to incrementally increase spring side pressure, this situation was easily changed by just screwing in the white plastic nut until you had slightly slowed the upshift to have engine and track working together. Back then we were faced with this exact situation when everyone went to the new PC 2.25 tracks.

torsionly twisting a spring won't get you there, side pressure will.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
I don't disagree with castled that preload (direct side pressure) is what you need. But this can be done torsionally (increased torsion does result in more side pressure, just not 1:1 like preload).

But with RKT secondary, you are looking at a new spring. Go for a secondary spring with more preload and similar torsion if you are out of adjustment.

Premium Features