• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Where do I find a bigger battery mount thingy?

B
The KTM 300 comes with a 5-series battery and even though the battery is new and charged up and an AGM, it is still too small to get the 2 stroke motor fired up on cold, 10 degree mornings.

The airbox and battery mount came out so I used the stock battery mount and used the three mounting holes and put it on top of the Camso tray.

Who makes/sells a bigger battery mount? There are lots made for boat batteries as there are no real dedicated places that are made for batteries so there are lots of mounts but I have not come across any for dirtbikes or dual sports as there are probably not many who need a battery mount as there is just no space on the outside of a bike other than a rear fender to mount a battery.

Anyone know of a solution?

M
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
Never, never try to start the older KTMs when cold! The first generation of KTM e-start was a marketing scam meant to appeal to tech-crazed millennials. KTM upgraded the design twice since the 2008 model. Only use it when the motor is already warm. I'm using a Shorai LiFe battery in our 300XCW which is way more compact and light but I understand not the best in cold conditions. I had to actually put shims in the battery holder to make up for extra space with the LiFe. Anyway, this is a mute point as you should never try to start the bike when the motor is too cold with the older KTM e-start design. The system is simply too flimsy with a lame Bendix and thrust bearing, poor bevel gear engagement, low wattage starter motor etc.

I've also upgraded the starter to a higher watt unit which gives a little more boost and bought Slaven's shim/bearing kit to overhaul the whole thing but it's still not meant for cold starts.

B
Thanks so much Misha Subo. I appreciate the knowledge as I know next to nothing about stuff like this.

We will kickstart the bike from now on as it is so-so easy to do anyway and it always fires first kick now that the Smartcarb is on along with the Velocity Intake.

I had copied and pasted your great response to my Brother In Law so he knows.

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
Never, never try to start the older KTMs when cold! The first generation of KTM e-start was a marketing scam meant to appeal to tech-crazed millennials. KTM upgraded the design twice since the 2008 model. Only use it when the motor is already warm.

exactly!!! ive read that these are actually sometimes considered a RE start. (kinda like the new summit 850s starter works too, but different concept as that self charges and uses no battery) that should only be used when the motor is warm, until then, kickstart is needed for the initial starts of the day, especially when cold.

M
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
Might look into swapping to the newer gear ratio Bendix ... https://slavensracing.com/shop/2015-bendix-crown-wheel-upgrade-kit-ktm-husaberg-husqvarna-200250300/

It was a 14 or 15 change they geared the starter down and it increases cranking speeds , big improvement on cold starts and does not bend the Bendix assembly like the taller geared unit is known for on the 300's

Hey Jackmax, you hit the nail on the head. That is the upgrade to do but only after a high output starter motor and thrust bearing refresh. If Ben's BIL has been using the starter when cold I would guess the pinion shaft is already fried on the starter motor. When I got my first '08 xcw 300 new I made a concerted effort to avoid using the e-start - I was very suspicious at the time, even to the point of disconnecting it at the amusement of my riding buddies. Still upon inspection finding it needed a new armature only a few years later (has the pinion integrated). Instead, I just simply left it disconnected and quietly kick started in shame off to the side where I thought my friends could not see me (always getting comments like - why would you not use it? - it was such a bling feature at the time - in 2008).

Premium Features