• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MPI vs Evolution?

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
Whatcha think about these two?

Both great looking kits, with a little deferent approach.

Have mixed feelings, I'm old school and in some ways like the idea of the stud bolts and head gasket.

Matt@MPI

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2010

Have mixed feelings, I'm old school and in some ways like the idea of the stud bolts and head gasket.

What our we comparing Viper kits? Explain what you mean about stud bolts and head gasket?

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
Viper, and are you not providing stronger head bolts and a thinner head gasket for higher boost kits?

Matt@MPI

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2010
Our stage 2 kits will include ARP head studs and a head shim. But not a thinner head gasket?

JustBoostIt

Lifetime Membership
The Evo kits have pulled timing in their tuning rather than opting for a head shim lowering compression. None of the Evo kit choices have a head shim. If you have ridden any sled with stock compression vs one with a shim you know how that feels.

Last edited:
D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
MPI has been at this game for a long time....If it were me I would want to be in bed with the turbo setup working in the same R&D room as Yamaha.

At the end of the day customer service is key I'm sure that both kits provide great service after the sale.

DPG

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Hard to go wrong with the MPI unit.
I have had many happy miles with both their Turbo and their Supercharger.

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
this is the way i look at these 2 kits mpi takes the keep it simple approach. think its the best kit for a guy that just wants more power in a simple easy to install kit.if you like high end stuff i think the evo kit uses better parts but you pay for better tech & parts.both good kits but both approach the kits in a diff way,you need to decide whats important in a turbo kit for you,talk to both kit builders & go with the one that gives you what you need in the kit.whether it be cost,fueling,type of turbo,type of fuel you can run,cool factor:face-icon-small-coo or just the dealer.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Solid comment.
Wish MPI would upgrade their electronics package. I think that is the only weak link in their package. Hardware wise they are rock solid. I wouldn't have any reservations about installing a supercharger on my new viper if they were offering it. My guess is they are working on a kit this summer.

EVOPS does appear to use newer technology.

Last edited:

irondave86

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
N.W. Washington
With evolutions base kit costing $5500 and including a water to air inter cooler and the proper clutching it would be hard not to go with their kit.

I will admit I have no clue what the MPI kit cost and being that their website hasn't been updated since 2010 I doubt you get any info there. But unless their kit is around the $3500 mark I think it's a no brainer.

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT

It really depends on what kind of HP you want, and what components/price point.

180-210HP - MPI, MCXpress, Push Turbo, Boondocker*, Alpine, Hurricane

220-270HP - MCX, Boost-It, EVO, Alpine

270+ HP - EVO, Boost-It, Impluse*

*doesn't actually build a kit yet, but you get the idea.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
With evolutions base kit costing $5500 and including a water to air inter cooler and the proper clutching it would be hard not to go with their kit.

I will admit I have no clue what the MPI kit cost and being that their website hasn't been updated since 2010 I doubt you get any info there. But unless their kit is around the $3500 mark I think it's a no brainer.

You can frequently get their kit directly from Yamaha through a dealer for $2,000.00 a smoking deal cost wise.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
If your buying a turbo kit you really need to ask yourself what is the intended use... If your a boondocker 180hp to 200hp is plenty.. If your into big chutes 200hp to 235hp gets you up the chute with hp to spare....IMO anything beyond 235hp the sleds begins to be hard to manage.

DPG

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
If your buying a turbo kit you really need to ask yourself what is the intended use... If your a boondocker 180hp to 200hp is plenty.. If your into big chutes 200hp to 235hp gets you up the chute with hp to spare....IMO anything beyond 235hp the sleds begins to be hard to manage.

DPG

hard to manage well i just thought it was my bad riding:face-icon-small-haplove the power cant get enough some days & too much others.

Matt@MPI

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2010
Solid comment.
Wish MPI would upgrade their electronics package. I think that is the only weak link in their package. Hardware wise they are rock solid. I wouldn't have any reservations about installing a supercharger on my new viper if they were offering it. My guess is they are working on a kit this summer.

EVOPS does appear to use newer technology.

We have made changes to our electronics! You don't see all the limitations we're working with. Have you considered how a different fuel controller would affect your warranty? Last time I checked were the only turbo kit that doesn't compromise your factory warranty. We have a box that we need to be within, our fuel controller fits within that box. We've tested with countless packages. ALL of them have flaws, I'm not saying ours doesn't have flaws, buts It's all about what's best for all applications. Its easy to make big claims about some new "HOLY GRAIL" fuel controller. Lets see if it plays out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt@MPI

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2010
I would like to see the other guys post dyno pull like this. WOT 2+ minutes!! One more test we need to pass that the other guys don't need to pass let alone even run. This is 1 of 6 WOT we ran.

Premium Features