• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

which bore kit is best?

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Care to put your money where your mouth is?

No not really. I'm comfortable. Not into c*ck measuring. If I was I would get a turbo yamaha and tell everyone in the bar. I ride a snowbike now. They're slow.

Just trying to help the guy out.

Seen lots of guys spend big bucks and get schooled by a 16yr old kid on a stocker that isn't afraid to hold the throttle open.

I
Dec 14, 2001
Archer, Idaho
No not really. I'm comfortable. Not into c*ck measuring. If I was I would get a turbo yamaha and tell everyone in the bar. I ride a snowbike now. They're slow.

Just trying to help the guy out.

Seen lots of guys spend big bucks and get schooled by a 16yr old kid on a stocker that isn't afraid to hold the throttle open.

Port ..... this the same dood from the old dayz? :face-icon-small-ton

There aint no 16 yr old on a stocker on the PLANET that wud even be in the same county as my SHR 880 Etec ................... IN ANY CONDITION.... Period.

It's a different world these days, in fact, the Turbo Yamaha would most likely take a back seat to this motor, it has actually happened, with the sled/motor that Scratey has now (piloted by yours truly) and it SEVERLY spanked a 300+ HP Yam Nytro at the 2011 Expo races, easily 4 lengths in the 500 ft drags. (and it was running GOOD).

And for big bucks comment .......... really? Try under $2500 for stock reliability, and arm aching power ..............................Compare to a stocker???? you are livin in the past my friend.:face-icon-small-coo

Last edited:
T

Torgenrud

Aug 3, 2013
Montana
We installed an RKTEK 860 kit on my buddies sled and I put his pistons and head on my turbo sled and I have to say the parts are top quality, both sleds run excellent, and the engines are both extremely smooth. Definitely recommend RKTEK

S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
What was the cause of the failures?

Must not have had the new updated 872 piston, haha! Now what to do w/ the other 1100 pistons sitting on the shelf.

No seriously the 872 is a good motor. Crap happens, so who knows.

At this point, the only big bore I'm concerned about out performing w/ the 880 is another SHR sled that is the 860 version. That thing is dialed. When buddies 872 is up and running again, that will be fun to compare w/ also.

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
What was the cause of the failures?

I would say fuel is the main culprit. My 860 along with the 872 seem to get warmer on climbs than the 880... Which in my opinion is due to head design.. Also they power fade on long climbs where my 880 does not. 880 has been the most consistent running big bore I have ever owned. It's my 10th one. Last yr at the shoot outs it was fun to talk to guys with all brands of big bores.. They all admitted to having power fade on long pulls. Like I said have yet to have the 880 fade. I think between heat and fuel was the cause of mine going down. Don't get me wrong my trygstad runs hard.. I have it dialed... Just not as hard as the shr... Hey swrev we will be in wy the 30 th for a few days.. Bring that 860 and your 880 down...

Last edited:
T

tukernater

Nov 4, 2009
BC
I would say fuel is the main culprit. My 860 along with the 872 seem to get warmer on climbs than the 880... Which in my opinion is due to head design.. Also they power fade on long climbs where my 880 does not. 880 has been the most consistent running big bore I have ever owned. It's my 10th one. Last yr at the shoot outs it was fun to talk to guys with all brands of big bores.. They all admitted to having power fade on long pulls. Like I said have yet to have the 880 fade. I think between heat and fuel was the cause of mine going down. Don't get me wrong my trygstad runs hard.. I have it dialed... Just not as hard as the shr... Hey swrev we will be in wy the 30 th for a few days.. Bring that 860 and your 880 down...
Lmao fade ?Are you High?:crazy:

E

Ed Fast

Jan 22, 2004
Gillette WYO

I have one that did go down (kinda) but it the one that Matt is talking about. I am going to have to say that I thought is was a very well built motor that I thought was built to last. The reason that it went down was my fault (or more likely the fault of the guy who put it together doesn't matter any more) the elbow that you twist to couple the airbox to the engine had a tab that broke, the elbow then backed out of the air box. This happened on a very cold day. Guess what I ingested some snow and it caused wear on my pistons and cylinders. I did not know at the time as the sled still ran hard. Dave called me and said he had updated the head and I should pull mine and send it in he would machine it send it back (free) I did not know about any issues until I pulled the head. I can say that it ran harder than the other big bores I was around with this damage. Dave was easy to work with and even though it was not his fault he basically gave me another complete big bore at cost. I thought that was cool. What I have realized is that most people believe that their hard earned money has purchased the best product. I hope I did. I have zero complaints with my purchase and I think dave is a stand up guy who has only been helpful. Hell he would call me out of the blue just to see how my sled was running. I can say that I did not run his clutching (probably should have) and it took me an entire season to figure out. I ran a team tied. Once I did that sled ripped. I was never around a big bore that beat it once I got it dialed. Now it was not even in the same league as a 3-4 hundred horse yamaha nor did I want it to be. In my eyes a bb is all about bottom end as well as mid range. If you want top end buy a turbo I think. I have never ran with an 880 but it sound like a monster. The 872 is one of the great options out there it never left me stranded always pulled hard never faded for me. The one time I knew a N/A sled had more it was a 800 trigger. Never ever did I feel a NA sled had more of what I wanted low end. Drag race a turbo would kill me. Thats the honest opinion from me.

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
Lmao fade ?Are you High?:crazy:

You act like I don't have both motors.... It is very easy for me to compare the two... I even tried clutching them the same... Just my honest opinion on what works... I would love to see and 872 or 860 out power mine... I ran trygstad then shr then back to trygstad and now shr again.. Ride with guys that have carls, and trygstad... And no I am anything but high, but thanks for asking

Last edited:

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
I have one that did go down (kinda) but it the one that Matt is talking about. I am going to have to say that I thought is was a very well built motor that I thought was built to last. The reason that it went down was my fault (or more likely the fault of the guy who put it together doesn't matter any more) the elbow that you twist to couple the airbox to the engine had a tab that broke, the elbow then backed out of the air box. This happened on a very cold day. Guess what I ingested some snow and it caused wear on my pistons and cylinders. I did not know at the time as the sled still ran hard. Dave called me and said he had updated the head and I should pull mine and send it in he would machine it send it back (free) I did not know about any issues until I pulled the head. I can say that it ran harder than the other big bores I was around with this damage. Dave was easy to work with and even though it was not his fault he basically gave me another complete big bore at cost. I thought that was cool. What I have realized is that most people believe that their hard earned money has purchased the best product. I hope I did. I have zero complaints with my purchase and I think dave is a stand up guy who has only been helpful. Hell he would call me out of the blue just to see how my sled was running. I can say that I did not run his clutching (probably should have) and it took me an entire season to figure out. I ran a team tied. Once I did that sled ripped. I was never around a big bore that beat it once I got it dialed. Now it was not even in the same league as a 3-4 hundred horse yamaha nor did I want it to be. In my eyes a bb is all about bottom end as well as mid range. If you want top end buy a turbo I think. I have never ran with an 880 but it sound like a monster. The 872 is one of the great options out there it never left me stranded always pulled hard never faded for me. The one time I knew a N/A sled had more it was a 800 trigger. Never ever did I feel a NA sled had more of what I wanted low end. Drag race a turbo would kill me. Thats the honest opinion from me.
Well let's not forget my little 860 kinda put the hurt on your 872... Lol! Was a great weekend and lotsa fun though.. Put the xm in the back of your truck and drive down.. We got dumped on.. You can stay at my place

E

Ed Fast

Jan 22, 2004
Gillette WYO
Utah

I wish man but that is along ways we are talking about for two days we are thinking about that range a talked to you about for 3 days next weekend. To the sleds defense i think I would have run it down your clutching was and I am sure still is dialed, I had minimal miles on at that point. But you did get me this is true. If anyone wants to see a true monster (not sure how long it iwil hold together) Trigger full race 800. gotta run 114 but I think it dynos over 200

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
Ya they run hard for about about 6 trips up Jackson hole..Lol! Not a reliable motor. Buts it's not built to be. Doing Tog the 30th the way it sounds... Call me next week and we will see

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
I wish man but that is along ways we are talking about for two days we are thinking about that range a talked to you about for 3 days next weekend. To the sleds defense i think I would have run it down your clutching was and I am sure still is dialed, I had minimal miles on at that point. But you did get me this is true. If anyone wants to see a true monster (not sure how long it iwil hold together) Trigger full race 800. gotta run 114 but I think it dynos over 200

Ya I know you where pulling me at the end.. 860 pulls hard to about 50 52 mph then just doesn't have it.. 860 and 880 are close to 35 to 40 mph...Then the 880 walks away fast.

T

tukernater

Nov 4, 2009
BC
Wanna bore my 08 summit but which is the better kit? Not power and torque necessarily, but most reliable? Lmk
Well all good reading but for where I live thing's are certainly different and maybe not surprising to some .I'm not going to give any rant or outrages testimony about beating up on big @$$ turbo's,but I will tell you that we've had them all in my riding group long story short I'm just finishing up my 6th 872 for my buddies .I'm in a wheelchair so I don't need all that power,but I do need reliability and this motor has proven to me
time after time so as soon as Dave's caught up with his DEALER'S he will get mine done too.Cheers and good luck :face-icon-small-coo

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
It's a different world these days, in fact, the Turbo Yamaha would most likely take a back seat to this motor, it has actually happened, with the sled/motor that Scratey has now (piloted by yours truly) and it SEVERLY spanked a 300+ HP Yam Nytro at the 2011 Expo races, easily 4 lengths in the 500 ft drags. (and it was running GOOD).

Slim, you know that ain't worth bragging aboot!
I've seen a 440 fan beat 600 Liquids in 500ft snowdrags....now let's get on with the relevant pizzing match at hand!

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
Port ..... this the same dood from the old dayz? :face-icon-small-ton

There aint no 16 yr old on a stocker on the PLANET that wud even be in the same county as my SHR 880 Etec ................... IN ANY CONDITION.... Period.

And for big bucks comment .......... really? Try under $2500 for stock reliability, and arm aching power ..............................Compare to a stocker???? you are livin in the past my friend.:face-icon-small-coo
Oh, come on. You don't actually believe this do you? Who cares about a 500 ft drag race. Get that Yami in 2 ft of pow and it will make that Doo look like a tundra. That's not putting down the Doo, it's just a fact. Seen it way too many times. At best, these big bore Doo's are putting out 185-190 hp, and that's at sea level. Put the same skill rider on each sled and there is no comparing a good running boosted sled with a big bore. That goes for all manufacturers.

I
Dec 14, 2001
Archer, Idaho
Oh, come on. You don't actually believe this do you? Who cares about a 500 ft drag race. Get that Yami in 2 ft of pow and it will make that Doo look like a tundra. That's not putting down the Doo, it's just a fact. Seen it way too many times. At best, these big bore Doo's are putting out 185-190 hp, and that's at sea level. Put the same skill rider on each sled and there is no comparing a good running boosted sled with a big bore. That goes for all manufacturers.

lmao, just one example, many more, how about 1/4 mile straight Uphill @ 8000' in 2 ft. of pow, that work for you ??

Bottom line is ................. Everyone can run their mouth here on the net .................... Now let's see you run your mouth "sled" on the hill. Like I said in another thread ...............

"Did someone say, BIG BORE Shootout?" ........... I'm in.

Premium Features