• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2013 Teaser Pic

ArcticDoo2

Premium Member
Dec 20, 2007
Eastern SD
Hey, no idea how it would work or if they would ever do it, but it's something that nobody would ever expect and I have heard a couple people talking about it... Just thought I would put it on here to see if anybody else had heard anything similar. Either way, whatever they put out should be pretty sweet!

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
I cannot imagine a rear drive that wouldn't add a bunch of weight.

BUT, rear drive would allow you to run your track SLOOPY LOOSE.
This would all but eliminate rolling resistance, so it is worth consideration.

M

mtnjunkie

Mar 2, 2008
Ok, well we all want different things from our sleds. Make fun of me if you want, that's ok. Obviously Doo will build whatever will suit the main market/ desires of sledders. Which isn't necessarily our type of rider. I'm just saying, for me and what we do, they're kinda wimpy. We put our older Revs through way more abuse and they were stronger in most areas, not everywhere, there are impact areas on the xp that are tougher. I have been nice to this sled, not bashing it into everything like when I was learning to ride....

And yes, going down the trail at about 15 mph both drop brackets bent in and snapped, wrinkled the entire tunnel, no the running boards weren't really bent before that or any other damage or wrecks. I'm not the only one that's happened to. The dealer here even said this year a guy in the shop put his knee on one so they could release the clamp that holds the suspension collapsed in shipping and it buckled the tunnel. Is that ok for a $12K sled?

I would love to see stress areas stronger- tunnel, running boards, drop brackets, bumpers. I mean, the xp's running boards don't even connect to the tunnel on the back. But if that isn't needed by others and doesn't happen, I'll just keep doing it myself. I don't care as much about taking a few pounds off the sled as I do about making it stronger, has to be a middle ground. They keep getting more expensive, so we should expect more improvements, not just special looking plastics.

Sorry if that makes me a moron? Guess I'm just tougher on sleds than most people?

R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
Ok, well we all want different things from our sleds. Make fun of me if you want, that's ok. Obviously Doo will build whatever will suit the main market/ desires of sledders. Which isn't necessarily our type of rider. I'm just saying, for me and what we do, they're kinda wimpy. We put our older Revs through way more abuse and they were stronger in most areas, not everywhere, there are impact areas on the xp that are tougher. I have been nice to this sled, not bashing it into everything like when I was learning to ride....

And yes, going down the trail at about 15 mph both drop brackets bent in and snapped, wrinkled the entire tunnel, no the running boards weren't really bent before that or any other damage or wrecks. I'm not the only one that's happened to. The dealer here even said this year a guy in the shop put his knee on one so they could release the clamp that holds the suspension collapsed in shipping and it buckled the tunnel. Is that ok for a $12K sled?

I would love to see stress areas stronger- tunnel, running boards, drop brackets, bumpers. I mean, the xp's running boards don't even connect to the tunnel on the back. But if that isn't needed by others and doesn't happen, I'll just keep doing it myself. I don't care as much about taking a few pounds off the sled as I do about making it stronger, has to be a middle ground. They keep getting more expensive, so we should expect more improvements, not just special looking plastics.

Sorry if that makes me a moron? Guess I'm just tougher on sleds than most people?

Was the guy that put his knee on a aluminum tunnel, the same guy that tightened the rear bolts on the drop brackets??
How many people are going to believe the cause of the failure of the drop brackets was going down a trail at 15 mph???

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Our riding group has 7 or 8 xps and mostly big guys that ride fairly hard. The xp is a tough sled IMO. If they are abused by hitting solid objects or hard tail landings or off camber hits then any sled will see damage.
The rear susp brackets could be stronger as ive seen a few broken, but always from abuse... Not normal hard mountain riding. Freerides are stronger in many areas for this type of riding while summits are made for the deep.

R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
When asking for a 430 lb. 160 hp sled from the manufacters, you will see components that rely on each other for strength. Materials will get thinner and stronger, but will, in design, need the support from adjacent parts. If a bold or a rivet seam, glued seam, comes loose, you are going to see warpage, breakage or a crack because of this. Maintenance is important to make sure this does not happen.
We can have strength, light weight and durability, but at what cost? It is a balance.

M

mtnjunkie

Mar 2, 2008
Maintenance, ya. I can't even explain how much maintenance I do on my sleds. My clutches are cleaned, often, bolts checked, carbs cleaned, I'm not a ride it and ignore it type of person. I didn't say 15 mph caused the brackets to break, I can't say exactly what did and neither could anybody else. Nobody found any obvious causes, but that's how it happened. Looking at it nobody could believe it. And it doesn't go to the dealers cause I don't really trust them, some of those mechanics have caused more problems than fixed.

I don't see how a knee on a tunnel can buckle it if it's strong enough for mountain riding. Is that really what people expect now? For them to be that fragile? I think everyone's idea of mountain riding is different. I'm not expecting a sled that will be tailored to what I want, but after I buy it, it will get modified to get there. The market is demanding lighter, more nimble. That's great, but I don't really need it lighter for me personally. It's set up to handle great the way it is. It's not my priority to have a 430 lb sled. It is a balance, I just hope they remember that and don't focus quite so much on lowering the weight since there are sacrifices that are made to get it there. Too many people seem to focus on weight weight weight without realizing what that involves.

Maybe that's part of it, that the older sleds were stronger in each component, so a little tweak or stress on one didn't take out everything else. Every little piece is more reliant on everything else on these sleds, that's a good point. Tough though if its a tiny stress in an unseen spot, you can't always find it.

D

deaner

Nov 26, 2007
Creston, BC
Hey, no idea how it would work or if they would ever do it, but it's something that nobody would ever expect and I have heard a couple people talking about it... Just thought I would put it on here to see if anybody else had heard anything similar. Either way, whatever they put out should be pretty sweet!

I've read this five times now and still dont understand what you are trying to say at all?:face-icon-small-con

R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
Maintenance, ya. I can't even explain how much maintenance I do on my sleds. My clutches are cleaned, often, bolts checked, carbs cleaned, I'm not a ride it and ignore it type of person. I didn't say 15 mph caused the brackets to break, I can't say exactly what did and neither could anybody else. Nobody found any obvious causes, but that's how it happened. Looking at it nobody could believe it. And it doesn't go to the dealers cause I don't really trust them, some of those mechanics have caused more problems than fixed.

I don't see how a knee on a tunnel can buckle it if it's strong enough for mountain riding. Is that really what people expect now? For them to be that fragile? I think everyone's idea of mountain riding is different. I'm not expecting a sled that will be tailored to what I want, but after I buy it, it will get modified to get there. The market is demanding lighter, more nimble. That's great, but I don't really need it lighter for me personally. It's set up to handle great the way it is. It's not my priority to have a 430 lb sled. It is a balance, I just hope they remember that and don't focus quite so much on lowering the weight since there are sacrifices that are made to get it there. Too many people seem to focus on weight weight weight without realizing what that involves.

Maybe that's part of it, that the older sleds were stronger in each component, so a little tweak or stress on one didn't take out everything else. Every little piece is more reliant on everything else on these sleds, that's a good point. Tough though if its a tiny stress in an unseen spot, you can't always find it.

I have unloaded many sleds in my life, as either I was a dealer or part of one. I understand where you are coming from but in my experience, if I was to ride any of the old sleds like we ride our sleds today, they would be destroyed. ( remember they could only go half as fast on the trails and half as high on the hill )The speeds that these sleds can handle on the trail alone would destroy suspensions of old.( and our backs )
I could not see a Summit of 10 yrs ago taking jumps and surviving what you young bloods put them through. I truly believe we are riding them so much faster and higher because of the sleds capabilities. This is also why we are destroying them. JMO

Last edited:

Sunvang

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2010
Norway
Looks like the "old" xp with new plastic.

index.php

M
Nov 13, 2008

Thought
Think outside the box, this isn't about 2 skis, a motor and a track anymore! The new XPR will be so technically advanced it will leave others in shame, while they were working on running board technology our fellow Canadians are progressing how the snowmobile gets from point A to point B. Think about how a jet propels water in a watercraft, now apply SOME of that thought to the snow! This mountain specific SUMMIT is going to be the talk of the town..... No wait.... The mountain!

Nobody has got this yet!?!?!?!

Is it a fixed position or moveable position?
The jet propels the craft but also moves :)

N

nuggetau

Sep 26, 2009
Idaho
Thought
Think outside the box, this isn't about 2 skis, a motor and a track anymore! The new XPR will be so technically advanced it will leave others in shame, while they were working on running board technology our fellow Canadians are progressing how the snowmobile gets from point A to point B. Think about how a jet propels water in a watercraft, now apply SOME of that thought to the snow! This mountain specific SUMMIT is going to be the talk of the town..... No wait.... The mountain!

Nicely done! Very vague. :face-icon-small-dis:face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-hap

I guess it is going to have a ram up front that scoops up the snow and blasts it out the tunnel.:face-icon-small-win

B
Nov 11, 2010
Salmon Arm BC
Thought

So it will suck up snow and blow it out the back to propel itself. Should work great on hardpack

Premium Features