• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Any updates on the Trygstad 872R motor

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
Dave told me the 872 has better pistons then the 880's and i think that my 872 will run with 880's all day long and I still have cast pistons which i like better imo but my buddy has a stage 2 bmp880 i'm hopeing to ride with soon so I will be able tell how my 872 runs in comparison to one of those but looks like my 872 will be getting some more goodies over the summer know that Dave told me about what he has been doing with the 872's can't wait to show swrev on here how an 872 will beat his turbo in the deep stuff haha no hope this helps answer your question

It did, and thank you!

T

tukernater

Nov 4, 2009
BC
well we have gone to the dealer and stuck it on a laptop and found ,air senser and DPM problems.So we start again added two florites to the back off air boxs to help with plugging air filter,but we've gone from 540,560,580,600 and know i'm going out to find 620 and 640 .the more jet we add the HARDER it pulls .I'm thinking I should try more av maybe straight .

T

tukernater

Nov 4, 2009
BC
Awesome phone call this am, buddy !!! Cant wait to get this freakin engine in my hands. Keep up the good testing work man....I'm sure Dave appreciates it:first:...I know I do !!!
yep thanks sean, we do have LITTLE diff domes ,but dave recomends little better fuel witch we exspected with these dome's.

T

Trigger223

Mar 16, 2011
800R Bore Limits.

Why the 872? What happened to the 880? I am always a believer of bigger displacement. Again, just curious is all.

Great question, Bigger is not better in 800R oem cylinder, We could have had any size piston made for my Big Bore engine kits, We bore our own cylinders in house and know how much material is in that cyl by boring to where we went into grey areas of the castings,

We have built 880's and after testing and running for a period of time we did a check on the bore and did not like what the bore gauge showed due to thin cyl walls in many areas, o-ring sealing and cyl skirt areas,

We build the 872 Bore size for these reasons to give our customers the best product we have to offer and continue to update our products on this great engine,

Dave @ Trygstadmotorsports,

Dave @ Trygstad Motorsports

T

tukernater

Nov 4, 2009
BC
can you give us the specs on your primary, pin weight primary spring and ramp, its a easy way to find your hp out, they make a good dyno
Fred what are you running ?I'd like to try some diffrent set ups,we changed out are steel thundershift arms and changed out the 433's for 441,stock arms and the pins are 22 grams with 160-320 pp/pp clicker #3 ,helix straight 42 stock spring,but like i said earlier still finding more power jetting.So i'm curious to see if your clutching would work for mountainhigh?

S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
Fred what are you running ?I'd like to try some diffrent set ups,we changed out are steel thundershift arms and changed out the 433's for 441,stock arms and the pins are 22 grams with 160-320 pp/pp clicker #3 ,helix straight 42 stock spring,but like i said earlier still finding more power jetting.So i'm curious to see if your clutching would work for mountainhigh?

What elevation are you running? You are pretty close to what we have in the 860. We run helix around 45. Not sure exactly on the weight (solid pin, stock arm/roller). 441 ramps-always thought I had 417 in the 860, but it was the wrong sled. Pulled a little weight out the other day, 441 shouldn't need as much weight to close the primary. We'll see, might not have enough weight now. Not sure of springs, whatever stock '08 had, 1800 miles on them so I imagine they probably are getting a little sacked out. I think you need more helix angle, made a big difference on Madmini's, load that motor, you'll be very happy.

T

tukernater

Nov 4, 2009
BC
What elevation are you running? You are pretty close to what we have in the 860. We run helix around 45. Not sure exactly on the weight (solid pin, stock arm/roller). 441 ramps-always thought I had 417 in the 860, but it was the wrong sled. Pulled a little weight out the other day, 441 shouldn't need as much weight to close the primary. We'll see, might not have enough weight now. Not sure of springs, whatever stock '08 had, 1800 miles on them so I imagine they probably are getting a little sacked out. I think you need more helix angle, made a big difference on Madmini's, load that motor, you'll be very happy.
Thanks solids are 16 grams or long solids are 18.8 I beleave. I have a shock wave ,but need to order new rollers again. I also was going to try a 46-42 thanks all very helpfull .I'll pull some weight and go up in helix.Thanks again :face-icon-small-coo

stonehands1

Lifetime Membership
Jul 26, 2010
Mt. Baker
That setup sounds like its running good. Why track you running? What elevation? What kind of track speed climbing in deep snow? If you can pull 60mph at 6k with a 162 2.5 then the 872 is making some good power!

M

madmini660

Nov 6, 2008
lewistown mt
fred my clutch has 433 ramps with over sized rollers 1mm+ a 160-290 spring I'm not up on all the weights for my arms but it has 3-6mm screws two on the left side of cotter pin and one on the right side with a full length set screw on the left side that is hanging out of the arm and I run in clicker 1or 2 and my shockwave is almost all the way out you can ask swrev the more I turn it out the faster the sled got on the hill was dead even with his 860 with my sled on clicker 1 with my helix all the way out turned it in half a turn and game over I have a 174 track and have been seeing 41mph track speed climbing and even saw a couple 44's thats climbing I cant say anything bad about the way my sled has been running I'm shur there are sled that will hand it's *** but for a mountain sled with a 174 it's shur fun beating sleds with 155 tracks can't wait to see what it's like with all of Dave's updates and my 162 3" with bigger jets :face-icon-small-coo

S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
a 174 track and have been seeing 41mph track speed climbing and even saw a couple 44's thats climbing

First liar never stands a chance, you'll have the lowest track speed of any sled out there for being honest. It should be noted that when Mini says climbing, that means the 174 is digging for China-most other sleds at this point are either stuck or have turned around. Track speed given by most appears to be climbing a highway. My turbo track speed at the point of getting stuck or flipping over, is usually upper 40's. Dry/light snow low 50's.

P

pfi572

Nov 29, 2009
North West Alberta
First liar never stands a chance, you'll have the lowest track speed of any sled out there for being honest. It should be noted that when Mini says climbing, that means the 174 is digging for China-most other sleds at this point are either stuck or have turned around. Track speed given by most appears to be climbing a highway. My turbo track speed at the point of getting stuck or flipping over, is usually upper 40's. Dry/light snow low 50's.

Oh no Fred gets way higher track speeds than that with his 880 and etec turbo. LOL
I don't put much into peoples track speeds on the net as i have passed a few that run alot higher speeds than i do.
Mine always is slower than the net speeds! Must have something wrong but sure works good so far.
Cheers guys

M

madmini660

Nov 6, 2008
lewistown mt
well just got done putting my shorter track on and I've even went with a 15 wide to try and see what track speed my 872 will pull I dont know about freds track speed i think he has 7 tooth drivers and makes them look alot higher or something because my buddy with his 880 is telling me he is getting about the same as me i just hope make swrev really wonder if his turbo is worth it think the 15 3" will be the ticket haha know should be fun

M

madmini660

Nov 6, 2008
lewistown mt
well got back from the expo yesterday and got to ride one day even if it rained on use was hopeing that swrev would say something let him ride my sled and I rode his turbo xp and we raced and he pulled me out of the hole hard on my own sled really had to have everthing just right to get the turbo to pull out of the hole as hard as the 872 and the 3" 15wide track I was seeing 55mph track speed when we where running the two sled up a hill couldn't really find any hills to see what track speed I could pull climbing snow was very unstable saw a couple big slides 5' at the crown one of the the climbs we like to play on but got 8" at my house of new snow so hope to get my dad's sled put together so we can try out all the big bore's in good snow :face-icon-small-coo

Last edited:

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Is the 872 only for the carb sleds or can you do an ETEC that way? Cost on an ETEC?

M

Mach-ster

Jan 5, 2008
Does both the 872R and the 872Etec, think his site might be down right now for construction but you can try it at Trygstad-Motorsports.com or call him @ 507-281-3545

S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
holy **** Batman. Mini's 872 is a screamer. Wet, heavy snow--rain--and even w/ the 3''. It still flat out rips. Handles the track w/ ease. Turbo would see higher track speeds on the same hill, but 872 got to it's peak faster. Was seeing mid 60's and still gaining w/ the turbo, but I bet there wasn't 5 mph difference in actual ground speed. Turbo beat 872 once. We raced half a dozen times. W/ the 3'' track, I don't think turbo would have beat the 872 if the snow would have been more powder. No more pull and go for the turbo this year, going to have to dial in the clutching to get ahead of 872. Power alone is not doing it. Hill we were running on was about 8200' and 1/4 long.

Premium Features