• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Props to the Polaris on Saturday

T

T Stoke

Nov 28, 2007
Bethlehem, PA
Rode IP Saturday and unfortunately the day goes to the poo's. We were riding in some rough conditions. About 3' of fresh powder on top then a thin ice layer then about 2' of very soft base. We had 4 guys 2 on Doo's and 2 on new Pros. We will all agree that the ski Doo's take the prize when it comes to straight power but the way those pros got up on the snow and stayed that way was pretty incredible. The ski Doo's were digging down and trenching all day. I know there are some aftermarket things you can do to the ski Doo's to help with this but the way the pros were performing stock was impressive.

D

Dabull

Nov 26, 2007
utah
Rode IP Saturday and unfortunately the day goes to the poo's. We were riding in some rough conditions. About 3' of fresh powder on top then a thin ice layer then about 2' of very soft base. We had 4 guys 2 on Doo's and 2 on new Pros. We will all agree that the ski Doo's take the prize when it comes to straight power but the way those pros got up on the snow and stayed that way was pretty incredible. The ski Doo's were digging down and trenching all day. I know there are some aftermarket things you can do to the ski Doo's to help with this but the way the pros were performing stock was impressive.

got to agree the two 155 pros i rode with sure could float,they just dont dig,they stay on top,my 163 doo is awsome i love it but poo gets up on top better.cant wait to see what doo has for us in2013:face-icon-small-ton

M
Oct 24, 2008
Fort St James
yeah, its pretty tough to agrue, and not have your nose grow. Saw the same thing at sicamous last year. I had my rev and the boys rented one doo, one poo, and one cat. Noone liked the feel of the cat so the guy who pulled the short straw got stuck on it. The e-tec would out climb the poo, not by a mile, but it was noticable. But that poo would float!!! You could fly over a drift in the middle of a steep hill, it would stop moving, but once the front end started falling the sled would sit itself on top of the snow and keep climbing. The e-tec and my rev wouldn't be able to recover from that

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
what ive seen is new poos dont have enough hp to trench.and never seen one highmark my xp.dream on poo poo pro riders.

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
Sounds like a good, honest, unbaised review...might be a first here on SW!!!

...how big of guys were riding the poo's? I am asking because I am 225 without gear, and I am wondering if the poo has enough power for the big boys!!

Ace

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage

...how big of guys were riding the poo's? I am asking because I am 225 without gear, and I am wondering if the poo has enough power for the big boys!!

Ace
my buddy is on a 163..he is 240+..it has no issue taking him all sorts of nasty places....

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
Not news to those of us that own both. Intend to keep my Summit as it's a blast in spring conditions but my Pro... let's just say my back is thanking me every time I go out in the pow; even if I do get stuck (which is rare now), it's crazy easy to get out and I find myself riding alone a lot more now with no worries. The 800R still kills it if there's traction/across lakes but the playing field tilts the other way REAL fast when the snow gets deep! I think a lot of brand-blind Doo owners are starting to figure that out. As Kelsey says, "I've never been passed by a dyno on the hills!" and the low HP numbers for the Pro don't exactly translate to real world performance; they flat out RAWK in the pow!

Have FUN!

G MAN

Last edited:
F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
what i seen, the poos skid works sweet, jumps out like a aftermarket does on the doos, their lighter sled is great for the 170lb riders that have the power and chassie is very nimble

i think the problem stands with the heavier riders... 200lbs plus where the nimble pushes on borderline tippy or unstable, and power to weight becomes thin

the etecs seam to have trenching issues more in deeper powder, week skid along with more spin, takes them longer to jump on top, when they finnaly get up their the power takes over

props for the polaris camp, they needed this... 13 will be a strong year for doo, big stuff happening

S

Slick

Nov 26, 2007
what i seen, the poos skid works sweet, jumps out like a aftermarket does on the doos, their lighter sled is great for the 170lb riders that have the power and chassie is very nimble

i think the problem stands with the heavier riders... 200lbs plus where the nimble pushes on borderline tippy or unstable, and power to weight becomes thin

the etecs seam to have trenching issues more in deeper powder, week skid along with more spin, takes them longer to jump on top, when they finnaly get up their the power takes over

props for the polaris camp, they needed this... 13 will be a strong year for doo, big stuff happening

I think the problem is with the THICKER riders, not heavier, and you certainly prove daily, u r one of the thickest. LOL and yeah mine doesn't trench much either except in deep powder.....Duh, and I also think the new graphics and seat foam will be awesome for Doo in 13. They lost a ton of sales to Poo and Cat the last 2 years and it looks like the trend will continue in 13.
But you stick with your convictions freddy, cause....and I mean this....you deserve it. LOL.

E

Ed Fast

Jan 22, 2004
Gillette WYO
Skud

I ride a 2011 etec and I can honestly say that I love the power but wish a had a little better flotation. That damn pro get on top in a hurry. I ride with 4 ski doos and 4 pros. it is tough in all honesty I would have to say that the pro beats my sled stock in every way other than fit and finish and power. I ride with some bigger guys 250+ on both chassis and from what I can see that the pro is easier to ride and side hill. That is not to say that the etec can not side hill because we all know it can. The issue I have is the back end tends to slip and point me up hill. Maybe my sled just loves to climb???? or I can not ride it as well as my friends ride their sleds. That being said I hop on a pro and can't ever turn it everything feels backward. After what I have said I will stay with doo. I have a good dealer and think that doo is doing r&d to avoid the (dragon) issues that polaris had. Just my two cents.

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
lack of poopoo power dont get the highmark.sounds like the pro works for most of the people who just want to play in the meadows.

T

T Stoke

Nov 28, 2007
Bethlehem, PA
lack of poopoo power dont get the highmark.sounds like the pro works for most of the people who just want to play in the meadows.

I hate to disagree but... You're wrong. :) My buddy is about 270 with gear on and had the highmark on his 162" pro all day.

I'm not trying to sound like a trader to my peeps but floatation is something that they got figured out. I think a change in 13 from Ski-Doo is necessary. I'm expecting something good as that's why I didn't move to a '12.

Hurricane Tim

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2009

Actually, I think the Doo is more fun playing for the the meadows. If you want a real boondocking sled that won't pitch you downhill every time you cut a frozen track on a sidehill, the Pro is the one to have.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007

Yep I see this all the time. The Poo,s soft paddles are made to lift instead of dig

U
I rode this weekend with both and saw the complete opposite. Granted I am a doo guy, but the pro couldn't get out of it's own way. It looked like a submarine compared to the 3 doos. The new '12 etec is the sickest sled that I have ever rode stock. We increased the spring preload on the etec middle shock (with a spacer) and it was all over...the etec excelled in every category all weekend long. We all tried swapping over to the '12 pro and it felt so dang slow compared to the '12 etec. It barely had enough poop to get up on the snow. It could barely reach the top poaching a track where the etec could blow up it's own line.

Not trying to be a jerk just sharing what I saw.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC

Ace

For what it's worth....I'm 6'2" 212lbs in my birthday suit right now....which is 10lbs less than I was last year. Been on a Pro since last Dec. Stock bar height works well, springs are *just beefy enough for my weight IMO. If I weighed 230lbs I would go big boy springs in the skid....but that would be the same deal in any sled.

I don't notice any lack of power compared to any other non-turbo or BB sled. I know that line has been towed since they came out, but I will still stand by it. Like Gman - I came off an 07 Rev (RB clutch kit and other goodies, ran really hard), and I would say that Rev had something for my Pro in the spring talking from a straight up power standpoint. I would also say the same about that Rev vs most XP's tho as well.....that thing was a drag race killer for a stockish sled....800R motor was a hard-hitting thing. In the powder....not even in the same wheelhouse. Sidehilling across imperfect terrain, crossing tracks, recovering from bumps/jumps on the hill is all soooo much easier on the Pro it's like cheating. Definetly not just a sled for little guys....I've never thought I was big for it until I read it on here??

Premium Features