• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Summit Sidehilling ?

S
Nov 13, 2009
Alberta
Are the summits really that bad for sidehilling? I currently ride m1000 and like the way it handles in the deep snow while carving and sidehilling. I do love sidehilling. I am considering a 2012 summit because I am looking for something lighter and the 800 etec is sweet. I think the best thing about it is you don't need to pack an extra 50 lbs of gas when you ride. The better trail manners of the summit would also be a bonus .... Should I go with an 2011 m8 instead?:face-icon-small-dis

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
Coming from riding the RAW chassis to an XP, and having a few rides on a friends M8 in between, I would personally choose between the RAW or XP. Suspension set up is key on the XP, but I have never had trouble throwing it around in the trees or sidehilling to either side. I have the Hillclimb Edition, and have it set to widest ski stance, limiter strap 1 hole from sucked all the way up, etc... for racing so I just got used to freeriding it with that setup. I have yet to ride a Pro so can't say if I would prefer that chassis or not. The M8 was almost comparable to riding my old Edge chassis. Felt like too much of the sled was still out front, but was still fairly maneuverable for all around riding. Just sat too low and felt 'old school' compared to the RAW and XP chassis. So, if you worked your way thru that garbage, IMO I would stick with the XP chassis unless you get some time on a PRO to compare it with. Can't go wrong with the ETEC either if it holds together.

racer

K

kbl6z

Mar 8, 2009
auburn,wa
The xp is not as difficult to sidehill as some people make it out to be. I have 4 or 5 rides on the 08 I ride and I absolutely love it. It takes a day to get used to it and figure it. Once you do its a great sled. And with 11's and up having a narrower stance it can only make it that much better to sidehill and play in the trees. Can't go wrong with an xp in my opinion.

Coming from riding the RAW chassis to an XP, and having a few rides on a friends M8 in between, I would personally choose between the RAW or XP. Suspension set up is key on the XP, but I have never had trouble throwing it around in the trees or sidehilling to either side. I have the Hillclimb Edition, and have it set to widest ski stance, limiter strap 1 hole from sucked all the way up, etc... for racing so I just got used to freeriding it with that setup. I have yet to ride a Pro so can't say if I would prefer that chassis or not. The M8 was almost comparable to riding my old Edge chassis. Felt like too much of the sled was still out front, but was still fairly maneuverable for all around riding. Just sat too low and felt 'old school' compared to the RAW and XP chassis. So, if you worked your way thru that garbage, IMO I would stick with the XP chassis unless you get some time on a PRO to compare it with. Can't go wrong with the ETEC either if it holds together.

racer

I agree with this and I wouldnt say the XP is not harder than any other sled to sidehill but its just a diffrent way to sidehill and with proper suspension set up they rock. I had a summit 1000 and sold it and got a XP best sled upgrade to me. The summit 1000 was awesome for stock power but sled wore me out fast but with the XP I can ride hard all day and still have enough energy to go out on the town.

If your wanting to sell your summit 1000 PM me I know some people who want them.

S
Nov 13, 2009
Alberta
Thanks guys ... btw I currently ride a m1000 not summit. I`ve only ridden an XP once and it was vibrating so bad I didn`t want to be on it when it blew up. In my less than 30 second ride I did try a few carves and noticed it didn`t turn over near as easy as mine .... but it was far from a fair evaluation. Turned out the crank was bent. It was an 08 with lots of miles. Its defintely a much different ride, when the XP owner took mine for rip he fell off on his first turn because it turns over so much easier it caught him off guard.

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
Cats are crazy easy to lay over so I think you'll be disappointed going to a Summit. If you want a light 800 that gets good gas mileage and wins in the agility dept hands down then get the new Pro.

Have FUN!

G MAN

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
1r.jpg

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
The 2011 and 2012 Summits are easy to sidehill... Actually left my sway bars in mine cause it layer over to easy with out em. I have 2011 Summit and a 2011 M8. Stock for stock the summit is hands down a better sled. M8 is better if your gonna do alot of modding or a Turbo. The 2012 Summit is gonna be the best sled on the snow IMO... its gonna rip with 2.5 track, the best part about it is the other manufacturers are gonna have tomake that their standard to keep up.

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
Love the xp. Sidehills great.... But on setup hard pack it does not sidehill like my buds cat. I am thinking of going to a 15 wide track. Don't do alot of spring riding but it is noticeable. Powder i think they are great

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
love how well my xp rides. some may take me seriously when they shouldnt. (still working on sidehilling to the right):kev: ha ha ha

my setup would walk away from a pro on mt baker potatoes,,, even early year when the snow was still light. power, Power power. :kev:(cant quite figure out the right hand doughnut) :faint: (maybe i need a lefty throttle):boxing:

Timbersled

Premium Member
Apr 22, 2008
I have ridden about every sled out there. They all are good but they defiantly need to have the proper set up that make the chassis work for you. I also observe other peoples sleds and watch how they ride, from this I can see that a lot of people struggle from a bad set up. Is what I see on the XP it that most have their handlebar riser jacked up past the angle of the steering post. I know this feels good when riding on the trail but it is supper bad for side hilling. When you pull to the side on the bars itself steers the sled. So when you are side hilling you waste a lot of energy holding on to the bars trying to make it go where you want it to. So to better the problem just angle the riser back in the same plain as the steering post and this problem will be gone. You can do a test of this rite on the shop floor.

Allen

J

jake432

Sep 25, 2010
Twin Cities, Minnesota
I have ridden about every sled out there. They all are good but they defiantly need to have the proper set up that make the chassis work for you. I also observe other peoples sleds and watch how they ride, from this I can see that a lot of people struggle from a bad set up. Is what I see on the XP it that most have their handlebar riser jacked up past the angle of the steering post. I know this feels good when riding on the trail but it is supper bad for side hilling. When you pull to the side on the bars itself steers the sled. So when you are side hilling you waste a lot of energy holding on to the bars trying to make it go where you want it to. So to better the problem just angle the riser back in the same plain as the steering post and this problem will be gone. You can do a test of this rite on the shop floor.

Allen

Anything else that u would hav some advice on to change for sidehilling like front shocks settings and rear skid settings?

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Allen is absolutly correct about the bar riser angle...that with proper susp adjustment and a XP (especially 2010+) are just as easy to sidehill and throw around as any M-chassis and easier than a M-1000 due to it's added nose weight.
I've had the M- and every year XP, the e-tec is a great sled! Getting on a Cat now feels very primitive and awkward, it's just takes some getting used to the different riding style that goes with any different chassis.

Timbersled

Premium Member
Apr 22, 2008
That is for sure on the different chassis types. If you ride a Cat and then jump on a XP you are not going to like it. But if you ride a XP for a week and then get back on the Cat it is going to feel and look like a tank. There are a few other things that will make your XP handle better for side hilling and any one ski actions. 1st a set of center keel skis will improve it a lot and also unhooking the sway bar. The problem you will have with this is the stock shock is too soft, so you can put a different set of shocks on or put a stiffer rate spring and they also need stiffer valving. I personally like the float-2 shocks with no sway bar with about 70 psi in them.

The new skids work sweet. They give the sled more traction. The stop and go ability is much better. The ride and shocks are also better, you can go wide open rite into a big sink hole and it goes over it like it was no big deal. On the XP I like it with about 2 turns in on the coupling knob. I might need to do some more valving work on the XP, they are a little harder to figure out then some of the other sleds. I think it is because you set so far forward on them. We are giving a revalve / respring guaranty on them in case someone is not satisfied with the ride.

Allen

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
not sure the exact setup of mine,,, whatever Brew had it set at before i bought it. never disconnected the swaybar,,, just got used to it. took about 5 rides before i was feeling really comfy on it. but have know problems sidehilling eigther direction or blowin doughnuts right or left. sidehilling can be difficult when wet snow gets packed in the a-arms and keeps the steering from turning all the way. countersteering a sidehill is a must to maintain control. cant say i have to many complaints about my xp. except(they dont sidehill:kev: ha ha ha.

K

kbl6z

Mar 8, 2009
auburn,wa
The only thing done to the 08 i ride is an slp exhaust and 2 wheel kit. The sway bar is out. After a couple rides I can lay it over almost as good as my rev.

Just to add to the sway bar facts. I got the quick disconnect for the sway on my xp and its only $60 at your local ski doo dealer. Its pretty nice I can ride with my sway bar in and the days I know I need the ability to get sled over with ease I just use the quick Disconnect and it works sweet. Just something to think about if your worried about getting sled on its side. Here is a link to see what I am talking about http://store.ski-doo.com/product/315869/860200260/_/Sway_Bar_Quick_Disconnect_Link_Kit

Premium Features