• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

just bought an m, have some questions

P
Nov 26, 2007
just bought an m, have some questions **UPDATED QUESTIONS*

So I made the switch from yamaha to cat, havent ridden cats in about 10 years from bad past expierence

So I bought an 07 m 8 sno pro. It has the following mods

powder claw track
fox zero pros on rear
Speedwerx pipe, ypipe and can
bdx black boxx intake
fox floats front(having GSR revalve to float 2 specs
better boards
ice scratchers

Thats about it

So some questions

I live in MN and will ride the sled here some, should I change gearing to taller gears for here?

I havent pulled the clutches off to see what is in there, but so far it isnt stock specs so I will have to see what it has and if it can be better. So far, it pulls about 7900 rpm under load at 9000 ft.

The sled has stock skiis, can I narrow the stance even more by putting both spacers on one side? Or should I leave it alone?

The pipe is a 5000 ft and up pipe, but I have the stock pipe to run here, any other issues I will run into?

I picked the sled up in idaho and rode it in Togwotee last week, ran great, the track flat out works, etc, but the sled absolutly sucks on the trail getting to and from the powder, that is why I am going to do the revalve on the front, the back seems ok

The things I am going to do are the following

BDX tunnel kit
upgrade bearing in DD
BDX two wheel kit

Anything else I should do, any clutching specs I should try, I could only get about 75 out of it on the trail at Togwotee, but it pulls good in the powder

Here are the clutching specs

primary -

orange/ white spring - 0646-248
weights - 703-68

secondary

helix - 0748-6568, doesnt say the degree on it
spring - orange - 648-774

how does this look?

It pulls 7950 rpm on uphill powder, and uphill trail, I am checking with speedwerx but I think it should be at 8100 rpm?

What does the light tip weight do, load the heel so it has belt grip but allows you to pull higher rpm?

Last edited:
S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
put on ark tech head and thier secondary kit, add 91 octane fuel and be happy...btw the clutching on the 07s were a few grams to lite, if u go to heaver weights make shure u use same lite tip weight profile...

M
Oct 24, 2010
I would leave the skiies alone. it is not really going to much of a benifit. the gearing is really up to you if you want more top speed or low end power. i geared down my m1000 and i love it. i believe the m8 has 57/63 gears. the upgrades you want to do are needed, the dd bearing is inportant. i had a really hard time with the bdx intake, i was running super lean at 10000 feet but finally getting it richened. so just fyi keep an eye on yours. hope this helps

P
Nov 26, 2007
snobyrd- Do you mean the same profile, jus more weight in teh heel?

M100snopro- Are you running egt guages, how could you tell? Were you just checking wash?

S

spiceyunicorn

Jun 20, 2010
NW, Iowa
yes you can move the spacers to the inside or out side to narrow or wided the ski stance.... dont waste your 20 dollars on the two wheel kit take your stock axle off and cut it then drill out the hole and tap it tadaaaa two wheel kit for free

S
Feb 4, 2008
Seattle wa
bdx tunnel kit

I would do a van amburg tunnel kit rather than the bdx. it looks nicer and it has a kick up on the grab bar so you can dig it out when your buried. It comes as one piece all you do is cut and rivet and your done. The bdx looks like a stock 09 bumper setup
0920091631b.jpg

0920091709.jpg

0920091729.jpg

M
Oct 24, 2010
pow pow ya by checking piston wash and my plugs were really white. and i did what spicy said is used the old axle and made my own two wheel kit.

P
Nov 26, 2007
This is what I am running for clutching.

Primary
orange/white spring - 0646-248
703-68 weights

Secondary
helix - 0748-6568
spring - orange - 648-774

It has the speedwrx pipe/y pipe and bdx intake system, thanks about it

It pulls about 7950 rpm on a pull, uphill and on the trail uphill. Should I be at about 8100 rpm?

What does the light tip weight do for you, load teh heel so it gets belt grip but allows you to pull higher rpm?

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
I live in MN and will ride the sled here some, should I change gearing to taller gears for here?

you should be OK, they were geared high until 2009 I think

The sled has stock skiis, can I narrow the stance even more by putting both spacers on one side? Or should I leave it alone?

Yes you can, I do that to all my sleds

The things I am going to do are the following

BDX tunnel kit, yep
upgrade bearing in DDyep
BDX two wheel kityep

Here are the clutching specs

primary -

orange/ white spring - 0646-248 Cant get that spring anymore

It pulls 7950 rpm on uphill powder, and uphill trail, I am checking with speedwerx but I think it should be at 8100 rpm? like you said, call speedwerx

Premium Features