• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

First Impressions, 800 Etec

N

nuggetau

Sep 26, 2009
Idaho
I don't know how many miles are on nuggetau sled now but if a sled is broke in like is going to be ridden than it should perform like you expect it should, Ride it like you stole it!! the same goes for any new engine.
1 guy babys his sled during break in, and FREDW breakes his in like a engine should, and he seems happy with the results and the other does not.
FredW is coming off of a 885 big bore on to the e-Tec and I havn't heard anything negitave about the engine performance in his first impressions.
Just calling it as I see it.

Insinuating I have been putting up and down the road at 20 mph during break-in? :)

N

nuggetau

Sep 26, 2009
Idaho
I guess you have to look at it this way. Most everyone on here knows that you will not ever get that huge of a performance gain by simply upgrading by a couple years. Especially on a sled with virtually the same chassie. As for the $7000 difference. You cannot factor that in as a performance item. It is mainly the difference betwen the value of a used sled with x amount of miles and a new one with 0 miles. That is what you spent 95% of your money for. The other 5% will come when it is broke in, clutched and running at it's peak. It should not really be that big of a suprise as it was never really marketed as much more then a few % better performance wise. Hype and anticipation can be a @#$ch sometimes. Break em in and set em up I think you willbe happy.

Let me put it a different way, maybe some of you will find it more palatable (or not). Lets say I am offering a new turbo kit which provides up to 10% more hp (max), and I throw in a suspension kit that will make the sled 10-20% easier to sidehill. The cost for this "kit" would be $7000 for the 2008, $5500 for the 2009, and $4000 for the 2010. How many people would be calling to place an order?

Did I have unrealistic expectations for advancement in 3 years, in a word, yes.

Let me say it one more time, just for those who didn't hear it the first time. The 11E is a good sled (minus the funky clutching), I will get a lot of enjoyment from riding it, my disappointment is that it isn't substantially better than my used 08.

I will still get a benefit from buying new from the 3 year warranty. As much as I will be riding it brp will likely be buying me a new motor every year for the next three years. I'll get me money's worth one way or another. :face-icon-small-hap

U

Unklsnomobile

Nov 30, 2007
So what your really saying, is the etec is not worth $1400 more than the ptec. You could have bought a 2011, the exact same sled as your 08, and it would still cost you $5600 right?

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
We took our e-tec's (163's) for a break-in ride yesterday. Only 54 miles on them but we both noticed they came to life at the 30 miles mark. The power seems very good for not being completely broken in and running rich.
Likes.....VERY easy start, going reverse/forward is almost instant, sled "feels" lighter and seems to steer better/easier with the susp and ski changes.
We did all road riding, about 6" to 18" fresh, mostly untracked. Clutches were typical HOT and HUGE RPM drop on a steeper road with about a foot of fresh, full throttle pull....dropped 5-600rpm. Definatly room for improvement!! Overall I think this sled is going to be a step above previous years once susp and clutching are figured out.
Made a few minor susp adjustments and the chassis reacts much better than my '08 to changes....a guy will be able to make the sled handle however they want, unlike the '08-'09 where you were typically stuck with a heavy feeling front and saggy rear....this susp actually works!!
Making some changes this week to address the RPM drop and get rid of the erratic low speed "buzzy" feel. Will be leaving one sled stock and making changes to the other for comparison.

N

nuggetau

Sep 26, 2009
Idaho
We took our e-tec's (163's) for a break-in ride yesterday. Only 54 miles on them but we both noticed they came to life at the 30 miles mark. The power seems very good for not being completely broken in and running rich.
Likes.....VERY easy start, going reverse/forward is almost instant, sled "feels" lighter and seems to steer better/easier with the susp and ski changes.
We did all road riding, about 6" to 18" fresh, mostly untracked. Clutches were typical HOT and HUGE RPM drop on a steeper road with about a foot of fresh, full throttle pull....dropped 5-600rpm. Definatly room for improvement!! Overall I think this sled is going to be a step above previous years once susp and clutching are figured out.
Made a few minor susp adjustments and the chassis reacts much better than my '08 to changes....a guy will be able to make the sled handle however they want, unlike the '08-'09 where you were typically stuck with a heavy feeling front and saggy rear....this susp actually works!!
Making some changes this week to address the RPM drop and get rid of the erratic low speed "buzzy" feel. Will be leaving one sled stock and making changes to the other for comparison.

Can't say I disagree on anything you said. :face-icon-small-hap

N

nuggetau

Sep 26, 2009
Idaho
318 miles (10.4 hours), 70 miles today, 8.8 gallon fuel (7.95 MPG), 33 oz oil (ratio 34:1).

It was an interesting ride today. 6-14" of new on top of 12". What I'm going to say will please the Doo loyal. I wasn't too impressed with the sled until today. The motor opened up a little bit more today, and the power is actually pretty good for a stock sled. The clutching is still kinda funky, but this clutch and motor wants a load. In less than 8" of snow the clutches want to shift out(reverse helix?) at around 58-62 mph, dropping the rpm to 7900 on clicker 4. However, get into deeper snow and the clutches stay loaded and it will hold 8100 no problem. I did one run up the road, I would say 7-9% grade, 14" of new, wide open 8100 @ 64-65 MPH. Which I think is pretty respectable. Gives me some hope for maybe close to 50 mph in a climb.

With the tool kit holder in place my clutches got so hot I could begin to see the glue coming out at the thread the last ride. The tool kit holder blocks probably 85% of the airflow from the front vents down thru the footwell. I removed the tool holder and today the clutches were cooler, still hot but not destroying the belt like before. I will ride it like this until the belt wears out or fails, so I have something to compare too. If the belt will last 1200+ miles like my 08 I won't vent it, if it fails sooner than that I will have to look at the XYZ, then maybe vent it.

The ski's push more than I like, what works the best so far is more ski shock preload(3), and adjust the center shock until it turns the best. These new ski's really spray up into your face at slower speeds sitting, not so bad once they get up on plane though. Sitting riders be prepared for a real snow shower, even worse in the turns.

I only think the new 36" front end and longer center shock improve the maneuverability by 10-20%, however today demonstrated just how useful that little extra can be. Riding the ridge road at 8000' the visibility was abysmal, no check that, it would have been a step up to abysmal today. Snowing hard, 40 knot winds, foggy, lens fogging, and flat light. The drifts were 2-7' deep, deep undulating rollers, in truth way more than I wanted to bite off for an early ride, but once in it I stuck with it. 3 miles of continuous rollers, no break at all. I was gasping for air at the pass. The sled really showed me something today, didn't get stuck once, and I'm pretty sure I would have several times on the 08. This sled really gets up on top, can't say if it's the non-ported track or suspension, but I had to go much slower than I wanted because I couldn't fraking see hardly anything, but the sled just kept plugging along thru continuous 4-6' soft drifts. The agility and the track really performed well today! Man was I ever glad to have my tracks to follow back out as the wind picked up even worse, colder than frak! Gloves were frozen solid, helmet strap so frozen could not get my helmet off.

I still have the anti-freeze leak, but finally got the flashlight in the right spot and can see it's the oeticker clamp on the front big hose, brp replaced 2 of the three with regular hose clamps but left one oeticker on, and it's leaking. I stopped at the dealer to schedule a drop off tomorrow after my ride.

If we get the 12" the weather guessers are predicting tonight I will go to my little honey hole for a little climbing tomorrow for the first time and see what kind of track speed I get. I distinctly remember what I was getting on the 08(around 45 mph) last fall in pretty much the same snow depth I can expect tomorrow. Not a direct comparison, but if I see close to 50 I will be pretty satisfied.

The new dual air intake is an improvement, but busting through those deep drifts I found out it will still plug up and bog. The snow sits on the side panel ledges and blocks the intakes, they still ice up too. An improvement, but as I feared not the solution.

Last edited:

2Thetopp

Lifetime Membership
Good post, I thought if you put your sled to a test with the type of conditions that a mountain sled is made for that you'd have a better impression of your purchase. By the way you worded your story it was easy to put myself into the situation you were in, been there done that (just keep pluggin' and don't stop or you are screwed). Question, I kinda get the impression that you were alone?:face-icon-small-sho And if not, what other sleds were with you, just to compare how your sled did compared to other brands or models.

N

nuggetau

Sep 26, 2009
Idaho
Good post, I thought if you put your sled to a test with the type of conditions that a mountain sled is made for that you'd have a better impression of your purchase. By the way you worded your story it was easy to put myself into the situation you were in, been there done that (just keep pluggin' and don't stop or you are screwed). Question, I kinda get the impression that you were alone?:face-icon-small-sho And if not, what other sleds were with you, just to compare how your sled did compared to other brands or models.

Yes, even if I could see there wouldn't have been much opportunity to turn around. All I can say Is I'm not gonna go back and do it again tomorrow, supposed to be a lot more snow, high winds and those drifts were already massive. The last one before the summit was at least 7' from bottom to top, I put a 3 1/2 to 4' trench thru her and a hard flat landing on the other side. :face-icon-small-ton

Crap, I hoped no one would ferret that out. :face-icon-small-blu Yes, I do a lot of riding alone. Please no lectures. I carry everything I would need to survive several nights, a cell phone, a satellite phone and a spot device. I do very little climbing while alone though.

C

CBX

Jan 21, 2008
Have they started grooming up there yet? I've got a McCall itch something fierce. Man i wished i lived closer. I have to say, favorite place to ride.

Do you usaully ride long valley, or drive up to brundage, or just go out your back door and tear up the back side of tamarack.

T

T Stoke

Nov 28, 2007
Bethlehem, PA
Wow! Nov. 22nd and you already have 300+ miles!? That must be the life! :) I only have about 25 miles on my sled. I'm anxiously awaiting some better performance out of my e tec. I'm hoping as I start burning through these tanks of fuel I'll start to see the performance these other guys have seen. I think 25 miles still might be a little too soon to judge? I hope..

N

nuggetau

Sep 26, 2009
Idaho
Have they started grooming up there yet? I've got a McCall itch something fierce. Man i wished i lived closer. I have to say, favorite place to ride.

Do you usaully ride long valley, or drive up to brundage, or just go out your back door and tear up the back side of tamarack.

No grooming yet. If we get the snow tonight tomorrow might be the first?

I ride where ever the snow is the best, or least tracked. I get up and look at the snow map and see where it's the deepest and go there. :)

N

nuggetau

Sep 26, 2009
Idaho
Wow! Nov. 22nd and you already have 300+ miles!? That must be the life! :) I only have about 25 miles on my sled. I'm anxiously awaiting some better performance out of my e tec. I'm hoping as I start burning through these tanks of fuel I'll start to see the performance these other guys have seen. I think 25 miles still might be a little too soon to judge? I hope..

Retired at the age of 39, spent the past 9 years riding dirt bikes all summer and sleds all winter. No complaints. :)

Hopefully I'll be able to get in a couple actual climbs in tomorrow and see what the motor can actually do. Hard to assess a mountain sled just riding the road, but tomorrow will be the first time the snow is deep enough to boondock. I still have to be judicious about where I ride.

The motor awakens after about 40-50 miles, then steady progress, mine took longer to fully release than what brp predicted though by about 10 gallon of fuel.

N

nuggetau

Sep 26, 2009
Idaho
What a frustrating ride today. Only rode 42 miles as this stock clutching is the single worst stock mountain clutching I have ever had the displeasure to ride. Wouldn't climb over a rat turd today. Absolutely pathetic!!!!

Had to go all the way to clicker 6 and then it only barely would hold 8000, with a track speed of 37, yes you read right, only 37!!!! This clutching is the most fraked up piece of dung I have seen from any new snowmobile!!!
This thing won't climb well enough to get out of it's own way!! Skidoo should just give up if this is the best they know how to do, because this is completely unacceptable. I don't have words (without a string of vulgarity) to express how poorly this clutch set up is!!!!!! I could have cooked bacon on my primary clutch, had to wait 15 mins in 10 below zero wind chill for them to cool down enough to change clickers without burning my hands or gloves.

After only a 30 mile ride I was so pissed I just gave up and come home. I dropped it off at the dealer to have the leak fixed and told them about the clutching. They might try and see if they have any parts on hand to see if they can make it function better (thanks for trying guys).

As I told them, as the sled is now I have no interest in even riding it again. It's just a waste of fuel! It won't doo anything! Skidoo should be ashamed of themselves, they couldn't have fraked it up more if they tried.:doh:

On another note, I have to eat some crow, the maneuverability is considerably better in the deep snow, but what's the point if it won't go anywhere.:frusty:

Last edited:
N

nuggetau

Sep 26, 2009
Idaho
Wow.. I guess the rest of us will just have to hope you got a lemon! :)

For your sake I wish it was only mine, but once you get it in some deep snow you will quickly see how bad it is. I don't even want to ride it, it's a waste of fuel!

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
It's disappointing that they don't get the clutching a lot closer....that being said, I have read somewhere that the reason for the reverse helix, (and I'll bet a doughnut to a dollar that is the root of the problem,) is to meet current EPA regulations. How/Why it helps meet them is beyond my clutching know how....anyone heard the same? And if so, how/why does it help? Noise? Fuel consumption?

....how is it that the Poo's clutching is almost spot on, and the doo's aren't close???

Ace

N

nuggetau

Sep 26, 2009
Idaho
shocker a doo that needs clutching,and yes i'm a doo guy.

If the consumer continues to accept sub-par design and testing, then what would be the incentive for the factory to EVER actually spend the time and money to do it right? We have come to accept mediocrity as the norm in snowmobiles!

When was the last time you bought a new truck and had to fix the transmission yourself on your own dime? The last time you bought a new clothes dryer and had to disassemble it to change the belt and gearing? Why have we come to accept this?

Premium Features