• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010 m8 153 or 162

L
Jan 1, 2008
cheney, wa
currently ride an m7 153 but am thinking of getting an m8. any thoughts would be great. like to boondock mostly and ride the trees. ride in washington and north idaho mostly. the sled will stay mostly stock. everyone i ride with has a longer track. handling is important but i'd hate to wish i went bigger if i buy a sled. thanks

P

prairiebound

Dec 3, 2007
I went with a 153 last month. dealer had longer tracks for another $300. almost everyone i ride with that had 160 something in the different brands has gone back to the 150 something. but we ride in the black hills, trails in sd and nd. those long tracks would be nice if you rode mainly in the mt in the steep and deep. but out on trails and black hills they turn into a handfull. depends on where you ride and how much you weigh i think. i got 3 rides in on a m8 sp and that is a really nice machine. sent the schocks to holtz this week for revalve and a duall spring for the front track schock. let you know this fall if it was worth $350.

C
Feb 2, 2010
kootenays, bc
hard to say, size has a lot to do with things. if your 200+ lbs. id go for the 162, but if your a little fukker like me you can lay serious smack with a 153". i ride a lot of TIGHT trees, sometimes things get steep in a hurry, hasnt been a time where i wish i had more track, maybe more power down low, but not more track.

sierraclimber

Premium Member
Dec 14, 2009
Oakhurst, CA (western sierra)
I went from a 900 1m 151" to the 2010 m8 162" 2 months ago. I weigh 175.

Somehow the longer m8 actually turns SHARPER in trees than my old 151".

Climbs everything way easier. Instead of wondering if I can make it, now I just pin it and hold on. Usually end up actually backing off the throttle toward the top where as the 151" wold be slowing and starting to trench.

The only down side is it sticks to the terrain more when your jumping off small stuff. If you like jumping off everything the shorter tracks get air born with less effort and are a little easier to throw around in the air.

Over all worth the trade off for me. Haven't tried it in deep fresh powder yet but I am sure thats when the longer track is really gonna shine.

harf69

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
i live in wa i ride a 08 m8 turbo but ive owned a 07m1000 162 and a 05m7 153 challenger extreme and its wa concrete sludge its wet sloppy wa snow after ridin with all my friends that ride a 162 i kept getting stuck on my 153 i went to a 162 and wont look back better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it i was ridin my m7 that i big bored to a ET900 with a 153 and my buddy was on a m8 he kept on chuggin along while i kept diggin early season at gallagher but if you really want fun go boost

harf69

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
call me i might know where you can get one are you looking new or used
206-396-2250 my name is Harley

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
I have a 153 sno pro and ride in Utah,Idaho, and Wyoming. I love
riding steep tight trees and the I can make that 153 go wherever I Want I love how easy it is to maneuver. I've never wished I had a 162. Maybe if I was more into that boring climb straight up a hill and highmark all day then I'd want one but for tight trees and boondocking I love my 153!

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
If you don't want a challenge, go longer. If you want to have to work for it a bit, go shorter.

I talk about track length & long track riders being sissies (don't get me wrong, they still are...:face-icon-small-sho) a lot, but really I think in the end it comes down to that.

I ride a 141 & enjoy the challenge. My 156 was way too easy to get to the top of whatever I pointed it at, and the 162 was boring as hell, so I decided to go with a 141. now when I outclimb someone... they've got no excuse.

I bought my wife a high power longer track (RG hcr turbo) because I didn't want her to have to work for it as much, now we can ride the same places.

C
Feb 2, 2010
kootenays, bc
If you don't want a challenge, go longer. If you want to have to work for it a bit, go shorter.

I talk about track length & long track riders being sissies (don't get me wrong, they still are...:face-icon-small-sho) a lot, but really I think in the end it comes down to that.

I ride a 141 & enjoy the challenge. My 156 was way too easy to get to the top of whatever I pointed it at, and the 162 was boring as hell, so I decided to go with a 141. now when I outclimb someone... they've got no excuse.

I bought my wife a high power longer track (RG hcr turbo) because I didn't want her to have to work for it as much, now we can ride the same places.

that is a really good way to look at things, sure i may not be going the highest everytime. but try and find somebody that is having more fun!!!! keeper to the bar boys and girls!!!!!

sierraclimber

Premium Member
Dec 14, 2009
Oakhurst, CA (western sierra)
Good point! I do feel like the 162" makes things too easy sometimes and its funner to push a shorter track to its limits.

However, on deep powder days I got super frustrated with the short track getting stuck all the time. Thats why its good to have both! :face-icon-small-win

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
MN...stupid poser flatlander
you guys are spoiled!

You guys that live in the mountains are spoiled. :face-icon-small-con:hurt:

I can see that reasoning, if I lived an hour or two from riding. I live in MN and go out to MT/WY 2xYear so I go with the 162...b/c i wanna go wherever I want w/ no limitations for the 5 days I am out there. I don't have time to do it the other way....sounds like fun tho.:face-icon-small-hap

I want the biggest bang for my buck...as far as the time I am out there. i have ridden the 162 for awhile, lots of the guys I ride with ride 162, and we are in the trees all day long. They work fine in the trees....don't let anyone tell you different.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
You guys that live in the mountains are spoiled. :face-icon-small-con:hurt:

I can see that reasoning, if I lived an hour or two from riding. I live in MN and go out to MT/WY 2xYear so I go with the 162...b/c i wanna go wherever I want w/ no limitations for the 5 days I am out there. I don't have time to do it the other way....sounds like fun tho.:face-icon-small-hap

I want the biggest bang for my buck...as far as the time I am out there. i have ridden the 162 for awhile, lots of the guys I ride with ride 162, and we are in the trees all day long. They work fine in the trees....don't let anyone tell you different.

I'll be honest, if I lived in the midwest or wherever & only got to ride a couple times a year, I'd have a 53 or 62. You just don't have time to get used to the difference in the smaller track.

Me, I'm still riding, still gonna be riding for hopefully another month or better. I get about 70-80 days a year... I've got the time to enjoy the challenge!:face-icon-small-hap

Spoiled...? Oh hell yeah!!! (oh, I'm 5 min from riding at home, and about 10 min from riding at work... being an hour away would suck!!)

C
Feb 2, 2010
kootenays, bc
I'll be honest, if I lived in the midwest or wherever & only got to ride a couple times a year, I'd have a 53 or 62. You just don't have time to get used to the difference in the smaller track.

Me, I'm still riding, still gonna be riding for hopefully another month or better. I get about 70-80 days a year... I've got the time to enjoy the challenge!:face-icon-small-hap

Spoiled...? Oh hell yeah!!! (oh, I'm 5 min from riding at home, and about 10 min from riding at work... being an hour away would suck!!)

damn rights were spoiled. snowline is only like 6kms up the rd right now. some places its at 10km. there is a clod front moving in later this week which should bring us some more fresh pow!!!! gotta love it!!!!

Premium Features