• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Does anyone have any experience on a 141" Powerclaw?

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I want to replace the 141" Attack 20 on my daughter M5 with a141" Powerclaw.

To me this seems like it should be a great combination for a rider that will weight less than 100 lbs all geared up.

Has anyone had the opportunity to try a 141" Powerclaw in the powder?

B
Nov 27, 2007
Rovaniemi, Finland
I'm running PC 141" on Crossfire 7 with piped 800 big bore. Really awesome sled! Absolutely pure fun to ride. It feels like short tracker so you can throw it around and change direction really fast. I had 141"/2.25" camo and 144"/2" tracks and fun factory wasn't even close. Best track length for jumping/playing in trees - if it's not super deep.

If you need to climb and drive a lot in deep I'd put 153". Longer tracks are easier to ride and they are more forgiving if you do little mistake. 141" needs more reflex from rider as situations will come faster so you need to react those faster.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Thank you! That's great to know!

My 85 lb daughter (and my 95 lb wife) will need to lift weights and work on their reflexes.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
I too am interested in the Claw vs the CE in similar length(141) I put a 2.25 CE on my brother's Snopro last winter and it does awesome. However, is the PC that much better? Especially in 15" configuraton? I need to buy another track for this CR/UB 670 I'm building and was thinking of sticking with the 141 length. Should I take the gamble and buy the PC or go with what has been tried with the CE?

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Love the PC in the 141.

One thing that has been mentioned before which may attribute to why I like it so much... that pc likes track speed. You'll find that an M7 with a 162 won't be all that impressed, but the shorter you go the easier it is to spin & the more it shines. I've said it before, the 141 we have will go places in up to 2' of pow that a comparable 153 will go, I think some of that is just due to the fact that it runs 5-10 mph higher track speed. In 2.5+ though, the longer track starts to shine & in 4+ I get my arse handed to me. Weekend before last I rode 4+ feet with a very soft base & got stuck more times than I ever have before in one day (so did nearly everyone else) & I see that when there's nothing to grab onto under a few feet of snow, the short track struggles.

In most conditions though, it's great.

btw, what bearcat said about reflexes is very true. The 141 will outmaneuver a longer track, but it also has a downside, as it can go from going the right direction to going the wrong direction in a hurry. On the M5 I'm not sure that you'll have the skis in the air like my 141 does, so maybe not as noticeable without the power to stand the sled up so much.

You need to give her the long track & put that 141 on your sled... it'll make you a better rider!!!!:face-icon-small-hap

M

marx-snowmobile

Jan 23, 2010
Carson,WA
141" powerclaw

Have one on my wifes M8 Crossfire and it is agreat track. I also had a 05 M6 which I put a 144" powder extreme on and at also was a great track. I would go with whichever one you can get the best deal on.

Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
I cut my M1200 down to a 141 from a 162 and the fun factor went up 100%! And as backcountryislife said the track speed was incredible. The 141 PC went though 2ft of snow no problem. I ride the "UP" so no steep but some deep and I can pull a wheelie in 2ft of snow as far as I want. The track speed did end my season after only two rides. I dug up a 25lb rock and spit it out on top of the snow and the sled took off like a rocket and my left leg went with it pulling my hamstring really bad.

I'm glad to report the Power Claw had do damaged lugs. LOL! Tough track!

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
So basically Paul... if you get a powerclaw... you'll end up with a torn hamstring?:face-icon-small-ton

Bummer about getting hurt, I was hoping you'd get that thing out here & come play with us this spring.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Thanks for the great info on the 141" Powerclaw.

Now I have a few more questions for you.

The rear skid has the cushier Ryde FX shocks. Now I'm wondering if I should go ahead and do the Geo mod the 141 skid?

Should I also buy the Holz rear suspension arm relocation bracket for the sled as well?

I guess as long as I'm at it, I may as well do a two wheel rear axl kit so it's easier to lay over.

The skis are set to the widest setting, I'm thinking they should be set on the arrowest setting for power and probably the middle for a combination of trail and powder?

Would it be work adding a pair of Power Pros (used I hope) to make the sled a bit easier and more repsonsive to steer?

If you haven't noticed, I am setting this M5 up to teach my 96 lb wife to learn to ride off trail at the same time as my daughter. Hence the willingness to spend a few extra bucks on accessories.

B
Nov 27, 2007
Rovaniemi, Finland
Which year M5?

As the drivers are so light I'd put some effort on light weight and ease of driving. So first I'd set the handle bars so they can drive straight standing but do not set them too high. Just they can drive standing straight. Also I'd do the -09 bumber conversion if it doesn't have it. This helps in deep snow YOUR back as you don't need to shovel it as much :) Float conversion reduces weight a lot and sled will be much higher which helps carving. I'd put skis as narrow as possible if you drive in deep snow. It helps carving etc. Coil over ski shocks are easier to carve but they may be too loose on trails? Powder pro skis are good but they are hard to steer. Stock skis are much lighter to steer especially in spring so don't sell/loose them

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I'd say yes to everything you said.
Definitely do the holz brackets, well worth the hassle.
On the skis... toss them in the narrow setting & spend that $$ somewhere else!!

One thing I think is well worth the hassle if you're going to do all this work... do an 09 back 1/2 or one of the other setups on the market.

The 09 141 tunnel has another hole in it, may cause an issue for you if you don't do the whole setup. That in mind, on the tunnel it may be better to do one of the other setups. (spg has a good one)

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
An option for the rear skid is just going to '09-10 rails which already relocate the front arm. Float it and a two-wheel kit. Definately play with the ski stance and have them choose where they like it. A rear tunnel mod is cool and does help, but maybe not needed at this stage of the game? What does the M5 come with for gearing?

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Thanks guys.

I have no idea of what the 05 M5 gearing might be?

Ok, I can keep the stock skis and find the correct width. I'd guess center or narrow.

The rear tunnel kit would probably be a good idea. What happens to the turned down rear heat exchanger? It must be replaced with a flat one?

09 or 2101 rails huh? changing out the rails would save me from buying the Holz relaoction brackets but, are there other benefits to the 09-10 rails (other than weight savings)? Approach angle?

I have to run guys. Thanks again.

B
Nov 27, 2007
Rovaniemi, Finland
I think there's no other benefits with newer rails so I'd just put the brackets. Seems stock gearing is the same as bigger ones (57/63).

You can get the heater straightened. I did it by myself and it was easy thing to do. Ofcourse easy may be super difficult for someone else and vice versa so it's up to you. Maybe it's not necessary to modify the tunnel. Float skid with relocation brackets will lift the running boards higher. Easy bolt on stuff :)

You can add 10mm thick piece of plastic between ski and carbide. This helps when riding in soft snow as there's more keel and skis doesn't understeer so much. Cheap and easy thing to do :) I used to drive like this for 2 seasons before getting pair of PowderPros.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
BC is right, no other benefit. Find a set of used brackets, otherwise I got a smokin deal on a set of 141 rails for my brother's sled that would have cost me the same as a set of new brackets. Plus they update the look of the sled slightly. I'm about to order a set of black 153 rails for another project as well. But that's a different story.

I like the VE tunnel extension although I went with CR Racing for the few I've done. VE might be the next one. Just bought the u-coolers from them at the same time.

Good luck.

Premium Features