• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M5 - are there any perfomance parts available?

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I am still looking for a lightweight mountain sled for my wife/daughter. Neither of them weighs 100lbs wet. The M5 looks like a nice little sled and with a 141" Powerclaw might be a great little sled for them.

I was wondering if there were any pipes or other performance mods available for the little M5? I know a lighter exhaust canister can be added to save some weight. Are reeds worth messing with on this sled? Air intakes?

What's the weight difference between a M5, and a M6 or M7? Maybe one of them would be a better choice? I really want as light of sled as possible because these two petite people will run out of steam early in our rides with any more weight than necessary.

How are the M 570? Are they on ethe same chassis? Are they even lighter?

Thank you for any insight you can provide.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
the 570 isn't an M, it's a 1m, so totally different chassis.

The M5 is an allright little sled, but to get more from them you're extremely limited. I looked around & found very little to increase power. Once you look at an M6, the M8 is only 5 lbs heavier, so to me the 6 just can't be justified , a heavier sled without the power just doesn't cut it(on the other hand a lot more can be done to the 6 so it at least has potential for some power if you can find one cheap).
The 7 on the other hand is a much more formidable sled with a relatively low weight that a TON can be done to make more power from.

When I had an M5 & asked what I could do to get more power from it, the answer I got was "trade it in for a real sled" I fought that for quite a while, but in the end, they were right & I traded it in for an M8 (Abby was MUCH happier with me after that) Btw, my wife is also around 100 lbs, and she says the worst thing I ever did for her was get her the M5.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I did the unthinkable, I bought a used M5 today for my 85 lb daughter! :face-icon-small-sho

It's nice little sled with snow eliminators, venting and a rear rack system. I have started a little list of mods for the sled.

141" Powerclaw
2010 seat
SLP Intake
Lightweight Exhaust Canister - Does any M series exhaust canister fit?
BDX rear tunnel kit
Two Wheel rear axle kit
Geo Mod to rear skid
Zero Pro shocks
Skid Plate
Reeds? Do they make much difference on this sled?
Powder Pros - will she notice the difference?

Do you guys have any other tips for a M5 (other than buy an M7)?

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
for can, get an M6 can, it'll work just fine according to most people.
the slp intake would be a loser on that sled I think, it just doesn't use enough air to have the problems that we have with the bigger sleds.

Zero pros? How do you mean? It should be zero pros all the way around stock, do you mean floats?

reeds? complete waste. You'll gain a TINY bit of response.

for the skis, I think she's notice them, but would it be worth the money... shrug, I think it'd be better spent on weight loss. You could do a float rear conversion for close to the same $$ & you'd be able to tune it to her weight MUCH easier. For my 105 lb wife, the float skid was a very big difference in the ability for the sled to do what she wanted.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Thanks Man! That some very sound advice.

I will look for a light weight canister. The one that's in there looks lust like the stock one that came on my M8. Hey, wait a minute. I still have the M8 canister, I can see if it fits the M5.

I know this sled will never be a mountain masher but, she's coming off of a Bravo and an Ovation. A M7 just seemed like WAY too much sled for her right now.

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Porting and maybe bump compression, using a good mod shop who know the engine.

Then clutch/gear it and let her hang on!

RS

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Thanks Reese. I see the kit you referenced is for a power valve engine. This M5 does not have power valves, which is too bad.

Maybe I could drop in a F5 engine and ECU? The M5 engine makes 80 hp stock. The F5 engine with power valves makes 105 hp stock.

I wonder if anyone has done that?

harf69

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I had a couple m5's the chassis are the same as the m7 I believe at anytime you want you could buy a m7 motor wiring and ecu and there is your upgrade as for the m5 there is not much out there dd makes a 720 kit I think other than that I don't. Think your m8 can will work when I was looking they did not make one

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Good point Harf69

This sled just seemed like the natural next step for my daugther and maybe even my 95 lb wife. I think with a a little weight loss and a 141" Powerclaw this sled should be fine.

Then when they have a desire for more power, it may be time to modify.

Thanks for all the information guys, keep them coming.

R
Nov 26, 2007
I agree with harf that dropping an M7 in would be a good alternative for upgrading the power plant. Plus you'll always be able to find M7 parts if needed.

I did a little searching around and it appears the sno pro 500 and the M5 have the same motor just the throttle body sizes are different, but both are single throttle body.
At one time cat had a nice dual throttle body 500cc motor that made around 105 hp. I have no idea why they wouldn't use that in the M5.

The single throttle body 500 sno pro is now used specifically for the USCC (cross country) 85 HP class. That class was developed to get more people involved in cross country racing by mandating them to use consumer sleds of no more than 85hp with only suspension mods.

Last edited:

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
My little sister(23) and our little brother(15) are both around 110lbs right now.
Both around the 5 foot mark. My sister liked the m7 she rode for about a year but felt very intimidated by the power coming off of a 440 fan.
But after a year back on the fan she wants to try another m7. Leaning towards a m6. She likes how it handles and it doesn't wear her out like the older chassis the fan cooled is in.
Similar with my brother, he's got a tricked out snopro in the old chassis. He's got it figured out now that he's pretty much pinned everywhere on that thing.
He just needs to learn how to use the throttle to manipulate the sled. He loves riding our dad's M7 based Cutler 1 liter. But the power is too much for him, another year and he'll be ready for double the HP in a nimbler chassis.

In my mind, a M6 would be the perfect balance because it is the same bottom end as the 700 so power upgrades as needed are easier to get ahold of. However, with the 500, best is to let them learn some more, get comfortable and look for something bigger in the future. Skis and a track would help tremendously. I love the PP's on the M-series sleds. Proper bar height is critical for both of them too I've found. Either way, you're going to have a blast on their sled out in some meadow all winter long. Definately appreciate what we ride on a regular basis when you hop back onto something with less than 100hp.

S
Nov 3, 2009
Thanks Reese. I see the kit you referenced is for a power valve engine. This M5 does not have power valves, which is too bad.

Maybe I could drop in a F5 engine and ECU? The M5 engine makes 80 hp stock. The F5 engine with power valves makes 105 hp stock.

I wonder if anyone has done that?

I believe that is for a non-power valve engine as it has deletes, but power valves can be added is why they have the deletes there. Could be wrong but thats what it looks like, and a great deal for that if so.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
I believe that is for a non-power valve engine as it has deletes, but power valves can be added is why they have the deletes there. Could be wrong but thats what it looks like, and a great deal for that if so.

Not just a delete plate, I believe it's cast for it, but not a functional casting. Much like Ski-Doo with their Summit 500 in the late 90's. Looked like there was a spot for them, but solid cast with no way of adapting. Just from what I remember back in 2006.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I guess a guy could buy some used F5 cylinders, power valves and an ECU from the same sled. It might be easier to just find a wrecked M5 and buy the engine and ECU. That would be a 25 hp bump for the sled.

Premium Features