• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

860 HP #'s

Daltech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2008
North Norway
Whatever it is 7 hp, 2 hp, or zero loss of power, I don`t get the idea of why people spend a lot of money on something that Might not affect the poweroutput in a positiv direction. Maybe it`s a stockers dream about running around at a tuned sled? Sound like a beast, fast like a stocker. There`s alot of cool stuff out there which make your sled lighter. Why install the only product that might steal power from your engine?
Anyway, back to the 860, might work better whit stock can then whit a aftermarket can. The 860 kit does not come whit a can, which mean it`s intended to use the stock one. The only ones who makes something for the 860, is Jaws, and that`s twinpipes. Which are intended for this volume.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Some lightweight silencers work fine with 860's, some do not. Most all have been tested on and off the snow and the engine builders are mostly aware of which are beneficial....maintaining or gaining a little power AND dropping weight is a win-win!
In any case, I would gladly give up 2-3hp to drop the 12-14lbs off that suitcase for the type of riding I do.

R

Reedvalve

Nov 26, 2009
For the tread starters question, my dyno operator has run some 860 in his dyno. He does his own porting to them before he install them. And a healty 860 puts out 172-174HP in his dyno. This is whit stock exhaust. A stock 800R puts out 142-146 hp whit standard jetting.
All runs are done 10 meter above the sea:)
And for all of ones that complains that there 860 don`t work, and also are so stupid that they have to have a can on it. Well, no wonder why you can`t get your sled running fast. Sorry, can`s steel HP on these engines, and whit mods it`s even gets worse. Tried some in the dyno. Waste of money. And for the wheigt reduction, man if your XP is to heavy, go grab a burger, gain so wheigt, maybe you`ll mangae to handle it. A can makes it worse.
28hp from 60cc's? I can't quite swallow that one. We have a twin pipe 800r that I'd love to run against it. We don't have 28 over stock, but we'll give you all you want any distance. We will spend the summer looking for more hp from the stock bore settup, just in case.

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
28hp from 60cc's? I can't quite swallow that one. We have a twin pipe 800r that I'd love to run against it. We don't have 28 over stock, but we'll give you all you want any distance. We will spend the summer looking for more hp from the stock bore settup, just in case.

Hmmmm.....I'm very certain there is more to getting that 28hp than just 60cc's......more to the puzzle than that!

R

Reedvalve

Nov 26, 2009
Hmmmm.....I'm very certain there is more to getting that 28hp than just 60cc's......more to the puzzle than that!
Uhhh..... He stated stock exhaust, thats the biggest part of the puzzle. Head? You will not find more than 2-3 hp if that over the stock head design on pump gas or even a slight race gas mix, I've dynoed them. Porting? When it has to work in conjunction with the stock pipe, very little gain, the exh port is already quite high. Reeds? I'll give you a couple there. Ypipe? I'll give you a couple more. Jetting it down? It may show more on the dyno, but on a long pull in snow, it won't, I've tried it on the Stats gun. I certainly am willing to learn from others experience though, these are just my experiences.

D
Oct 13, 2008
Uhhh..... He stated stock exhaust, thats the biggest part of the puzzle. Head? You will not find more than 2-3 hp if that over the stock head design on pump gas or even a slight race gas mix, I've dynoed them. Porting? When it has to work in conjunction with the stock pipe, very little gain, the exh port is already quite high. Reeds? I'll give you a couple there. Ypipe? I'll give you a couple more. Jetting it down? It may show more on the dyno, but on a long pull in snow, it won't, I've tried it on the Stats gun. I certainly am willing to learn from others experience though, these are just my experiences.

So the head builders ( i.e. Rkt, slp, cudney ) and so on are all lying about their numbers. I'm not saying they are not fudging a bit, but I find it hard to believe they are all that far off. I do not have a 860 but I know that when I added a slp head, y-pipe and vf3 reeds it performed way better then before the addition of these parts. How much hp did it gain who knows but if it was only the 6-8 hp you have seen I would be very suprised. Not saying that you are wrong in your findings. Just going by my results. Now add porting and bigger jugs and it has to be even better.

Daltech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2008
North Norway

Of course there is another head on it. Stock head want fit a big bore if not modified. He uses Rk-tek heads. Not sure if it`s Rk-tek or big john`s big bore. Know for a fact that whitout the porting it just puts out 163-166 before he do the port job. That`s the numbers you are talking about. But no one has come up whit another dyno numbers yet. So how will you know to not belive in these numbers? *** dyno? Come on. We are fouled alot of numbers from the aftermarket products. Take f.eks SLP M1000 singel pipe kit. Supposed to put out 190+ hp acc to SLP. In this dyno it puts out 172-176hp. Whit head and some porting in hits 183-186hp whit the pipe. And for the porting done to the 800R, porting is not all about durations man. There`s alot more to it. A standard 800R whit a mild port job puts 155HP in this dyno. Thats whit jetting to 0.64-65 bfsc. A standard 800R gets 150-151 hp after jetting changes. He`s done Alot of 800R in his dyno, and played whit various combos. 157hp on a standard 800R whit E85 fuel. 13.1 comp. Are going to try a 14.1 head to see if it would increase more. We do alot of testing on E85 over here these days, because of the high gas prices. We pay 2$ for a liter of 91 octane. E85 is approx 1.2$ pr liter. Therer`s even a new type of oil made in sweden that mix whit E85. So there`s alot of exiting things that are been tested on this side of the lake (atlantic sea) also. Just a head up. We ain`t morons, even if we don`t make parts and sleds as you are in the states.

F
Nov 30, 2007
Sexsmith, AB
Whatever it is 7 hp, 2 hp, or zero loss of power, I don`t get the idea of why people spend a lot of money on something that Might not affect the poweroutput in a positiv direction. Maybe it`s a stockers dream about running around at a tuned sled? Sound like a beast, fast like a stocker. There`s alot of cool stuff out there which make your sled lighter. Why install the only product that might steal power from your engine?
Anyway, back to the 860, might work better whit stock can then whit a aftermarket can. The 860 kit does not come whit a can, which mean it`s intended to use the stock one. The only ones who makes something for the 860, is Jaws, and that`s twinpipes. Which are intended for this volume.

I know, I know. We have lots of guys here that have tons of money invested in their sleds just to drive out to the mountains and hang out and look good.

lot's of guy's drive around the city in lifted up 4 X 4 trucks with $2000.00 mudder tires for the same reason, they wouldn't dare drive it off the pavement.

To each his own, if that's what gets guys all excited and feeling good about themselves, Right on!!!

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
As for porting a BB...remember when bored to spec the exhaust DROPS 3-4 degrees...so when "some" of these guys (I've seeen/fixed the lack of porting) sell an unported or barely ported BB you get the short end of the stick...I have "OVER" ported an 860 to see how far one could go before they nose over (low/mid) to try to zing it (8500-8600 rpm) for more peak...nothing there worth selling...the ONLY reason not to raise the ex port back up (just port timing not volume) is for twin pipes...92 pump gas/y-pipe/stock pipe mine make 170-172 thats it (same dyno stockers are 149-151)...I sell a 20 hp/10 tq gain...as for 178 hp ported 800's??...I raced one in New York...beat it by 3 mph...LOL-BJ

Thanks to all who have kept this thread on the level...funny how that can happen when a "few guys" dont pollute it with BS...

S
Dec 22, 2008
Gunnison CO Littleton CO
x2.

I have read that shr and rkt share rkt's head, diff porting, not sure about the pistons and such? Trygstad different from both, the head, porting, and probably the pistons? I think the porting has alot to do with the end result of the 860 kits, assuming jetting is on.

..?

T
Nov 27, 2007
Canada
Call Kelsey up with very little prodding he will throw Big John under the bus pretty easily. He has no trouble on the phone telling you why his kit is that much better. The question is do you believe any of these bb builders on here?:face-icon-small-con

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
My SHR 860 has run flawlessly all season. I can't speak for any of the others. I can tell you a buddy did a 885 and ended up going back to stock after fighting problems most of the year.....so there is definatly alot more to making it work than just adding CC's.
We see alot of sleds and talk with alot of people at our shop. There are definatly some trends when it comes to big bore's on this particular engine of what works and what doesn't....I have heard ALOT of first hand horror stories!
I also found that clutch setup is absoluty HUGE to getting the power to the snow....just adding some pin weight to a good 800 setup is NOT going to be effective and will leave you in the dust of good running 800's alot of the time. Once you get it setup PROPERLY it is a solid, consistant, reliable engine.....I would not hesitate to recommend a SHR860.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
Call Kelsey up with very little prodding he will throw Big John under the bus pretty easily. He has no trouble on the phone telling you why his kit is that much better. The question is do you believe any of these bb builders on here?:face-icon-small-con

The funny thing here is...the source...BJ

S
Nov 26, 2007
Helena, MT
Did OT come up with another user name?
He seemed to be the only other moron saying an extra 60cc's wouldn't give 20hp. And I would believe that statement if nothing else was a factor like porting and timing.
Just Flower doesn't make a cake...it's the combo of several things.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
does your buddy with the 885 have it for sale, i know a few guys with the 860 that would trade him, let me know

My SHR 860 has run flawlessly all season. I can't speak for any of the others. I can tell you a buddy did a 885 and ended up going back to stock after fighting problems most of the year.....so there is definatly alot more to making it work than just adding CC's.
We see alot of sleds and talk with alot of people at our shop. There are definatly some trends when it comes to big bore's on this particular engine of what works and what doesn't....I have heard ALOT of first hand horror stories!
I also found that clutch setup is absoluty HUGE to getting the power to the snow....just adding some pin weight to a good 800 setup is NOT going to be effective and will leave you in the dust of good running 800's alot of the time. Once you get it setup PROPERLY it is a solid, consistant, reliable engine.....I would not hesitate to recommend a SHR860.

Premium Features