• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Something just hit me.....Who is really running this place?

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I never said or assumed that there aren't business owners and operators on this site, just pointing out an opinion on how some jump to conclusions and in a way are whining that its not fair( I am not accusing any of you of that so don't get pi$$ed, But I have seen it, not on this site). As far as I can tell there are a great number of us that do run a company in some way or another on this site.

I never said I was not happy and have not complained about anything thus far. I have stated what I think would be better, but hardly a complaint. We control how we use it and it will balance out.

I think NorthMNSledder said it well on the expense side of things.

I am not here to rag on anyone, I just dont see the logic in the opinions of some members. I just like the debate.

I hope everyone sticks around.

I wish it where free and there was more info, its a free market and time will tell. But I invested in it, and by doing so shows I think it will maintain status. ( It may loose here and there but gain in others )

The internet is starting to take a big part in the market especially to dealers. Snowest is a big part of the west market and a organized site will bring more of them in. This is where the most valuable and basic info will come from.

Last edited:

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
Snowest is a big part of the west market and a organized site will bring more of them in. This is where the most valuable and basic info will come from.

Pretty sure Chris didnt accomplish either by pissing 90% of the contributors off

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Some of us are computer systems engineers so PLEASE dont spout bull**it like that wyoboy. Anybody that believes any of that I have some Ocean front property in Rexburg blessed by Brigham for sale.

Yeah .... Thanks for typing that. I literally typed out a response to that three times and never clicked send. Heh :)

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Pretty sure Chris didnt accomplish either by pissing 90% of the contributors off

We will see what will be accomplished, for right now its still in the air

Some of us are computer systems engineers so PLEASE dont spout bull**it like that wyoboy. Anybody that believes any of that I have some Ocean front property in Rexburg blessed by Brigham for sale.

You said I was BS ing. Well what about. You throw that out there but with no backing. I'm here to learn as much as anything so prove me wrong/ or teach me something with some hard facts and where they came from. I have not stated anything to be a fact, but I could see I may have miss lead the conversation but someone must correct me first so I know how. Once proven I will go back and remove any miss information if not remove every post from this thread, I will also apologize for any wrong doing. Then I will give out "thanks"
not being a smart a$$ just trying to carry out a conversation.

Yeah .... Thanks for typing that. I literally typed out a response to that three times and never clicked send. Heh :)

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Chances are "the bosses" aren't going to see your comments here... anyone picked up the phone and called the Snowest bat cave and talked to the Harris Publishing people to lodge a complaint?

I wonder if they will have a booth at the Expo.

sled_guy

I called the offices..left a not happy polite message...

I think what he is getting at is that the forums lost money, but Snowest as a whole made money. The magazine helped financed the forums, but as the forums got more expensive to run it was costing too much to just keep putting that money into them. But I think now they are trying to make the forums a self standing entity so they are not a burden financially on the company.

At least that's what I'm getting from it.

well what do you get then when you have 8-10 forums sharing servers, equipment, space and oh yeah..all I am sure have plenty of paid advertisers...so I honestly do think that snowest forums at least covered their own cost over the years(might not have made a nice profit though)...better equipment was purchased..but other then fixing a data error(software problem) can anyone actually say this site is faster/better then a year ago..I sure cant..every other place I go to is way faster then this site..all the time..............(once in a while this site does work as the others..but most times it is slower)..just some observations from an old guy....

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Why'd they buy servers? All they needed to do was start charging. We went from 5,000-7,000 users to 1,500-2,000 in no time. No overload on the system now is there?

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Why'd they buy servers? All they needed to do was start charging. We went from 5,000-7,000 users to 1,500-2,000 in no time. No overload on the system now is there?

we are now on our own server from what I understand...someone please correct me if I am wrong...

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I called the offices..left a not happy polite message...

well what do you get then when you have 8-10 forums sharing servers, equipment, space and oh yeah..all I am sure have plenty of paid advertisers...so I honestly do think that snowest forums at least covered their own cost over the years(might not have made a nice profit though)...better equipment was purchased..but other then fixing a data error(software problem) can anyone actually say this site is faster/better then a year ago..I sure cant..every other place I go to is way faster then this site..all the time..............(once in a while this site does work as the others..but most times it is slower)..just some observations from an old guy....

Since almost everyone here is giving me run for my money I'm looking for answers, can you prove your statement. I argue the other side but its because no one else did and it makes sense to me. I and others would be glad to see what the site produced for profit and if it is now.
I don't think the adds bring in enough to pay for even one person that can maintain this site yearly.(I'm referring to only the adds on the forum site). I could be wrong, but I'm not going to jump to conclusions when there are no facts.

O and the next person to post, you just as well start a new thread so the basic guys can continue there argument. I have been corrected, the basic members can read the first 75 and all post in this thread. I'm going to close the other one I started.

Last edited:

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Since almost everyone here is giving me run for my money I'm looking for answers, can you prove your statement. I argue the other side but its because no one else did and it makes sense to me. I and others would be glad to see what the site produced for profit and if it is now.
I don't think the adds bring in enough to pay for even one person that can maintain this site yearly.(I'm referring to only the adds on the forum site). I could be wrong, but I'm not going to jump to conclusions when there are no facts.

O and the next person to post just as well start a new thread so the basic guys and continue there argument.

Harris publishing has 8-10 forums I have been told and we shared a server with at least one(christopher told us that when changes first started in november...)..I thought everyone knew that..I am not trying to persuade you of anything..thats just what I have been told in the past..I dont even have a clue what the other forums are..

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Harris publishing has 8-10 forums I have been told and we shared a server with at least one(christopher told us that when changes first started in november...)..I thought everyone knew that..I am not trying to persuade you of anything..thats just what I have been told in the past..I dont even have a clue what the other forums are..

I don't remember reading it but you could be right, there is a possibility that the other forum makes profit and the size was pushing this one out.??? I wish I knew where to find the info but if I ask Chris(as he would know the most I think) I'm afraid it wouldn't hold any ground coming from him.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Chris..when you first came here, didnt we share a server with another forum?just curious but I thought we did?
Its more the other way around.

The other forums shared their servers with SnoWest.

But its more complicated than that.

SW existed across several different servers at the same time. Each one handling a different part of the support for the site. The problem last August was the dreaded "Database Error" which would show up on a near daily basis and was a resource issue for the database hosting as well as the core program hosting. At the time no one realized what the true resource consumption of SW was.

We kept increasing the resources allocated to SW and the problem kept not being corrected. It wasn't for a couple months till we had the right software installed to track everything that we finally realized the solution needed was a massive increase in resources, which is what led to the new stand alone servers.

And even now, with the two new Dell Rack Servers, we will almost certainly install a 3rd one later this year as we are using far more of these two than we expected because of the traffic on the site.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Its more the other way around.

The other forums shared their servers with SnoWest.

But its more complicated than that.

SW existed across several different servers at the same time. Each one handling a different part of the support for the site. The problem last August was the dreaded "Database Error" which would show up on a near daily basis and was a resource issue for the database hosting as well as the core program hosting. At the time no one realized what the true resource consumption of SW was.

We kept increasing the resources allocated to SW and the problem kept not being corrected. It wasn't for a couple months till we had the right software installed to track everything that we finally realized the solution needed was a massive increase in resources, which is what led to the new stand alone servers.

And even now, with the two new Dell Rack Servers, we will almost certainly install a 3rd one later this year as we are using far more of these two than we expected because of the traffic on the site.

thanks for the info ..

Premium Features