• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Power commander V install on a 975

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
Extreme ? Not in my book I say thats doing it right!:nod:I hope it does the trick!If somone where to build Billet Big bore kits someday that type of thing would be really handy ;)

well if someone were to need some 975 cylinders to copy for these billet big bore kits they could give me a call :face-icon-small-hap ;)

i like where were going with this ;)

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
computer harness mod

here are the pics of the computer harness where you have to tie into the throttle position sensor wires. i used a connector here too so i can just plug my adapter harness in and unplug if needed is also a good spot to check tp sensor voltage with sled running. that way you can see what the computer is seeing.

so now i am ready to assemble. waiting on a new flywheel then test the stator and assemble and go for a test ride. also going to check the fuel pump lines in the tank as someone suggested. he found 2 sleds with fittings broke causing problems after some gas was burn out of the tank.

IMG_2380.jpg

IMG_2381.jpg

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
getting the thing put together. worked till midnight lastnight and got the pcv installed and everything on the motor put back together and started changing the track out to a old 159 that was worn out. i cut the lugs down to about an inch and installed screws in the paddles so i can go ride the thing and test it here at home in iowa the state with little snow :face-icon-small-con

adding a few boggie wheels to the rear skid too. just have to reinstall the rear suspension and put the pipe on and it will be running, --- i hope :face-icon-small-hap

Hopefully i can take it out for a few miles tomorrow night if all goes well tonight.

will post up a few more pics tonight. i decided to mount the pc v and autotune to the belt gaurd. seems like as good of a place as any. :face-icon-small-hap

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
I thought the 975 came with the puter programed by Carls... plug and play kind of deal? Are you finding there is more to gain on top of that??

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
I thought the 975 came with the puter programed by Carls... plug and play kind of deal? Are you finding there is more to gain on top of that??

looooong story.

short version couldnt get a carls kit bought htg kit couldn't get ecu to run right, tried carls flash still not right. want to beable to tune it myself. bought the pcv and autotune to do that.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Understandable.... that is one thing that is very frustrating for me. The new efi/cfi sleds you rely on a little computer to make sure your sled is in tune. Seems to me you almost have to be a programmer to make sure everything is right...

Good Luck!!!!!!!

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
Got her running

Well i got it all together tonight. track in and adjusted. got it running and bled cooling system.

seems to be running fine on the stand. pcv is working, set the pcv tps adjustment and monitored the duty cycle on the injectors.

at idle it is running on injector 3 and 4 which are the lower injectors. as soon as you hit the throttle it starts transitioning to the upper injectors 1 and 2 and turning off 3 and 4.

going to try and go for a 30 mile run tomorrow night as long as it is running ok. taking the laptop along to stop and check what the auto tune is doing.

keep your fingers crossed maybe i kicked its but. here are some pics of pcv location and the cut down track.

cutdowntrack1.jpg

Ground strap i installed from block to chassis

groundstrap.jpg

pcvmount3.jpg

pcvmounting2.jpg

pcvmounting.jpg

I installed a couple of switches also. one to power up the ecu with the engine not running for setting tps and making changes in the pcv and the other is
the map toggle switch/autotune on/off switch.

switches.jpg

track2.jpg

track3.jpg

Last edited:
H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
BIGGDAWG, looking good so far. Hope it works out. One question, where did you get the short fuel line adapter hose to allow use of the Ford fuel filter ?

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
BIGGDAWG, looking good so far. Hope it works out. One question, where did you get the short fuel line adapter hose to allow use of the Ford fuel filter ?

i run an auto repair shop so i have the dorman fuel line repair kit. i made the adapter. it is actually a gm fuel filter. you can go to most parts stores and order/buy the fittings.

what you need is 1--- 5/16 female fitting and 1 3/8 female fitting and a piece of high pressure rubber fuel line just long enuff to fit the barbed ends of the connectors. i can get you the dorman numbers later if you need them.

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
Thanks for the info. Shows how long I've been out of the automotive field. I didn't know GM was also using that type of filter. Come to think of it, that filter does look a bit more compact than the Ford units that I remember.

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
Its just a shame to see that sled converted back into a flatlander! Hope all goes well with your ride !

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Nice work, especially LOVE seeing the extra ground strap...So very important. Beautiful!!

Noticed your Exhaust valve solenoid hose???? Doo tell.

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
Its just a shame to see that sled converted back into a flatlander! Hope all goes well with your ride !

Yes it is a shame but you have to do what you have to do. i have to get some riding in and testing and we don't have enuff snow here for the paddle track. i must say the cut down track worked pretty good had decent hook up for around here and no hyfax issues or temp issues around 130 on the trail.

don't worry it will be back to mountain mashing before too long and back to 975. but man it has a ton of power here at sea level compared to 9000 feet :face-icon-small-hap

X2, you've definitely put in plenty of effort:beer;
thanks yes i have put a lot of effort but it is starting to pay off. ran good tonight not perfect but lots better than it did. the autotune is adding some fuel on the bottom. have to go over the numbers and tweak it a bit but looking promising

Nice work, especially LOVE seeing the extra ground strap...So very important. Beautiful!!

Noticed your Exhaust valve solenoid hose???? Doo tell.

thanks
am running it with them capped off to see how it runs/responds. did about 30 miles tonight and like it. they start opening sooner and it is more linear instead of on/off.

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
Well she is running took a 30 mile ride tonight and it is the best the sled has ran since i got it back together. The PC V with auto tune is working good. did learn a few things.

you don't want to leave the auto tune on all the time. it starts to get funky numbers if you are doing a lot of decelerating. i saved several maps along the ride and got many funny looks as i was stopped along the highway with my laptop hooked up to my sled :face-icon-small-hap

it isn't perfect yet but getting there i think i am going to put some heavier weights in the primary because the 11-72's arn't holding the r's down. can get 8000 out of it so i am going to put the 11-74's in and try that.

the cut down track works good and hooks on the trail better than the 2 1/8 series IV. no cooling issues other than one of my scratchers broke :face-icon-small-sad
temps stayed in the 130 range.

here is a picture of the map autotune created.

day1autotunemap.jpg

Last edited:

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
HAHAHAHAH!Thats awsome I bet people where thinking WTF???? Is that loon doing with the laptop?If I saw it I would probably crash rubbernecking to get a better look.Glad to here it works. Not many people would be bold enough to try something like that let alone be able to make it work:thumb::thumb:Good work bud!

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
HAHAHAHAH!Thats awsome I bet people where thinking WTF???? Is that loon doing with the laptop?If I saw it I would probably crash rubbernecking to get a better look.Glad to here it works. Not many people would be bold enough to try something like that let alone be able to make it work:thumb::thumb:Good work bud!

Thanks for the compliment Kraig. I can't wait to put it back to 975. if it works good this weekend i think i will change it back during the week and start tuning on it :face-icon-small-hap. that way i have a map for the 9 and 975.

I want to get a netbook because it would be easier to carry rather than my 17" laptop :face-icon-small-hap

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
Very Very cool stuff sir!!

What did you doo to repair your previous runnability problem? TPS?

tps and harness and air intake temp sensor. tp sensor wire terminals had corrosion and the connector pins had corrosion on them. the rubber seal was missing from the connector allowing moisture in. i installed a new sensor and new harness and put dielectric grease in all of the sleds wire connections. so far so good.

i also checked the stator and flywheel. the flywheel had an old number on it so i bought a used one with the new number on it and installed that too just for safety.

Premium Features