• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sledding Injuries

D
Nov 28, 2009
Dunmore, AB
Hi ladies,

I have been reading everyone's posts for awhile and had enjoyed all of the various discussions.

When out for our annual Christmas week of riding and unfortunately, rolled my sled on the second day. We were riding on a road that had been plowed due to logging. We missed the turn that we needed to get to a great bowl. Came around a curve that is complete ice and another girl in front of me rolled and I tried to miss her. This resulted in a fairly badly broken right collar bone. Doc says I am done sledding for the year. Hubbie is going out to the garage tonight to make the repairs to my sled (handle bars, mountain bar, kill switch). He is telling everyone that he has a spare sled for the rest of the year.

So, what is the worse injury anyone else has received.

C

Colorado4fun

Mar 26, 2004
Layton, UT
Sorry to hear about your accident. :( It's a bummer you have to miss the riding season. Heal up and get ready for next year.

strained/pulled rotator cuff here.

T

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
Sorry about your accident. :face-icon-small-sad

Broke my tibial plateau and my tibia......doing a sidehill, dumped it, fell in my spinning track and luckily got spit out before even more damage. :eek: Riding with 8 guys, so didn't want to be a wussy and refused them calling the chopper (one of my more poorer decisions). :eek: Rode 30 miles back out. It did help that I had knee braces on (RU Outside), then used a SAM splint and duct tape to stabilize.

I was thankful to have a great orthopedic surgeon who understood that I wanted to get healed and get back out riding again. :) Took me out for that season though, and I did have to have a second surgery 6 months later because my body rejected the metal.

I NEVER ride without my tether now.

M
Nov 27, 2007
Idaho
No real broken bones, just some good bruises and cuts.

I am thinking that SnoJo was one of the most serious of injuries that one of my friends has had. She broke her femur and more. You would have to get details from her.

Glad that you are ok and hope the other lady is too.

Sorry that you are out for the year.

O

Oregongirl

Jul 25, 2002
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
I have been very lucky when it comes to injuries and sledding. Mostly just bumps, bruises and tendentious (which isn't really an injury).

Biggest injuries by the ladies I know would be snojo (for SURE!) and then I also recall a lady sledder who suffered from serious internal injuries (for the life of me I have completely drawn a blank on her name!! There was a fund-raiser for her and Lance back in 2007, I think). Anyway - the report of her injuries is the reason why I NEVER ride without my vest. NEVER!!

I added a better bivvy sack to my pack after Jo's crash.

I added a tether to my set up after CatWoman's little event.

I guess I am indebted to these ladies that learned these lessons the hard way........ :eek:

Jan 21, 2008
[QUOTE=Oregongirl;2073464Anyway - the report of her injuries is the reason why I NEVER ride without my vest. NEVER!!

I had no idea that anyone ever rode with a vest! I learn something new all the time. When I was 3 day eventing (cross country jumps with a horse) I rode with a vest all the time - I'm gonna see if that fits under my coat - I have bad hands its real easy for me to get bucked off - You guys rock

D
Nov 28, 2009
Dunmore, AB
Thanks for everyone's replies. The girl that rolled in front of me was fine. I was actually looking at Klim's techvest for next year. I am not sure if it would have prevented my broke collar bone but it wouldn't cause any worse injury by wearing it. I did add a tether to my sled last year when I add a left-hand throttle.

C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
Sorry to hear about your owie and that it is ending the season. :( Good on ya for doing your best to avoid a worse situation! Heal fully and fast! :)

Jodie's is the worst bone break I've heard of for sure. :(

CherryLuv punctured a lung a few years ago. :eek:

The lady that OG is talking about is Cheryl, videographer of Extreme Team Films. MEGA internal injuries! She's lucky to be here..........

I have bruised numerous ribs, tweaked my neck, permanent indentions on arm, ribs, thigh from bruises/impacts, bruised hip bones, bruised ovaries. Permanent black bruise on calf. Broken metacarple that shortened my finger by 1/2 inch (weird!). Bruised elbow so bad the tendon pulled a piece of bone away. Currently have 3 pieces of floating bone in that same elbow. Had a fingernail get pulled up (almost out) from the knuckle! I never knew they went that far into your finger...... lol That was gross.

Vest, knee pads, tether are a must. Elbow pads will be added as soon as I can tolerate it.

Luckily my body has endured much less than my sleds... hehehe

E

EagleRiverDee

Dec 15, 2009
Eagle River, Alaska
I wear a Tek-vest, and it has helped me to not get injured or even feel pain when otherwise I would have.

After reading Catwoman's story I will start wearing my tether.

I would like to wear knee/shin guards but I have HUGE calves and I can't find any that fit me. They all cut into my calves. Any suggestions?

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I wear a Tek-vest, and it has helped me to not get injured or even feel pain when otherwise I would have.

After reading Catwoman's story I will start wearing my tether.

I would like to wear knee/shin guards but I have HUGE calves and I can't find any that fit me. They all cut into my calves. Any suggestions?

Dee, you might try some hockey pads..they should have ones with wide straps that dont bite in so bad....

girlpowder

Premium Member
Mar 9, 2009
Utah, land of the FLUFF!!!
c083.gif

I'm feeling pretty lucky right about now.

Cowgirl151

Premium Member
Jul 21, 2005
Soda Springs, Idaho
c083.gif

I'm feeling pretty lucky right about now.

Me too!!!!
Last year I partially dislocated my shoulder. That was hard to heal and I learned that I belive in that Kinesio taping. Worked like a miracle!! Got my knee stuck in the track while was it was rolling backwards. Huge bruised and sore swollen knee from that. Numerous shin cuts and bruises and the huge rope bruise across my arm from starting the sled. But other than that, I've been very lucky!

B

BackCountryBabe

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 10, 2009
Island Park, Idaho
www.hasended.com
Glad to here you are ok

Sorry about your accident DragonDiva. I can not image the pain you are in.

I had an accident 2 years ago at Budds Creek, were my Yamaha 426 F decided to take me for a ride. I broke the gas tank and split the radiator. I was very very lucky. I left with bruised collar bone . I was hurt'n for a good 2 week. Probably doesn't compare to your pain. I decided to buy myself a Leatt brace. I will never ride with out it now snow or dirt - it has come in handy a few times. I feel naked riding without.

Take it easy and feel better sooooon!.

W

whitegold46

Mar 3, 2008
Smithers, B.C.
i split my quad muscle a few years ago jumping off a cornice.... took years to heal!!! I did get caught in an avalanche this past march but luckilie managed to get out of that unscathed!!! That was the scarriest thing i have ever experienced!!

swtsunshine

Premium Member
Jan 20, 2008
West Bountiful
Geez, some of those injuries hurt me just reading them.
I've been pretty lucky. Mostly some very colorful bruising and whip lash from jumping a hidden ravine. One year I went to jump through a cornice and it was ice under the fluff. I smashed my face on the bars and just about put my teeth through my bottom lip. Lots of blood but, mouth injuries heal pretty quick. Thank god for helmets.

M

mtnjunkie

Mar 2, 2008
Whiplash a couple times, back injuries, tendonitis always flares up from riding. Last winter I came down a gully to a creek, thought it was a different gully than it was. Decided to chance it as I couldn't turn around. Pinned it, creek collapsed and the far bank was a wall of dirt. Still gripping the bars, feet went over my head and bent my back severely backwards, fell in the creek and thought I'd broke it as I couldn't get up for a few minutes. It still hurts, but have had about 10 back injuries from riding colts so my back will hurt the rest of my life anyway. Bent my skis pretty bad and it took the guys an hour to come looking for me.....
Another time carving around, hit a rock on the inside which flipped the sled up and me over it. Happened to be a tree right there which my head hit at a pretty good speed. Made me black out, gave me whiplash and the worst head and neck ache of my life for several days. I think I had about 3 vicodin just to ride back to the truck the pain was so bad. Without a helmet, probably could have killed me. But sled was ok!

Last edited:
M

mtnjunkie

Mar 2, 2008
Does anyone ride with wrist guards or knee braces? I have tendonitis and would like to find something that would help. I also have bad knees (horses again) and wonder if anything would help the strain on them.
I also gave myself minor whiplash last year again, dropping off a cornice. Was working on dropping bigger ones, and was paying more attention to the sled and landing than what my neck and head was doing....

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
I'm a fan of RU Outside products. I have the BackThing, KneeThing (2), and a Thumb/Wrist thing (I can mostly get away without this, but I pack it along in case I need it). RU Outside supports

They help in a couple of ways.....one being that they provide some heat, besides the support.

J

jtblaster

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 10, 2009
Anchorage, AK
What do you think of the thumb wrist thing Cat?
I work in an office so i am on the computer for 8+ hours a day durring the week. and after riding it takes me several days to get my hands to stop hurting.
Does the thumb wrist thing help with that?
I may need to try the knee one too

Premium Features