• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rooster Built or DJ clutch kit

Maximum1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
Both seem to show improvement over stock but from what I've been led to believe is the Rooster Built kit is mountain specific while the DJ clutch kit is more versitile, has higher top end but doesn't quite climb as good. I've only ran my stock 09 163x against the DJ kit.

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
My kit is mountain specific. Born and bred in Revelstoke.
It just happens to work great at low elevation too.

If a kit does not climb good...why? did the owner have the correct amount of flyweight? was the engine rpm-ing correctly? running a worn belt? suspension set up properly? are the bushings worn out?

I find it comments like that about any vendor contestable due to lack of insight of what can actually be going on.

I'm somewhat of against this sort of poll which ends up in nothing more than an "opinion contest" with comments based on lack of fact(s).
It could be a challenge for a vendor to not be insulted when reading what is eventually typed with the tuner being the jury after this kind of contest.

So now lets put the shoe on the other foot. The rooster or cudney or big john doesn't quite climb as good. Now what? did the owner have the correct amount of flyweight? was the engine rpm-ing correctly? running a worn belt? suspension set up properly? did the customer review the sled performance with the kit vendor? did the tuner forget to put the swivel washers back on both ends of the secondary spring (i could do a poll just for that question alone)

Another bit of reality is each vendor gets phone calls from a certain percentage of their competitors customers who are questioning the performance of their clutch kit. I get the phone calls, and I know they get the phone calls - I know this because us vendors can chat amongst each other regarding "customers" subject. So now say if my customer calls up paul or john, why did they not call me? If paul or bikeman customer or whoever calls me up, I ask them "have you talked to them about it?.....

Last edited:

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
I think a lot of has to do with WHERE you ride. Revy snow is different then "Cascade Cement", and both are different than WY fluff. In my opinon, the "type" of snow is as relevant as elevation.

Ace

W
Apr 12, 2009
Edwards, CO
where's the call back

DJ, It doesnt matter how good your clutching is if you fail to respond to potential clients. I filled out the info on your website last fall. still waiting for a responce. ps, still riding stock clutching.

C
Dynamo^Joe;1938568]My kit is mountain specific. Born and bred in Revelstoke.
It just happens to work great at low elevation too

I hope you didnt take my comments as being DJ for the flats and Rooster for the climbs...I simply reiterated the data I semed to find when forum searching...That data seemed to support that the western guys tend to use the Rooster stuff and that everyone else? Uses yours!

I have no qualms in accepting a complimentry killer DJ Mountain kit to compare to my Rooster stuff:D

You guys both seem to have this thing nailed down pretty denred good. Kudos to you Sir!!

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
DJ, It doesnt matter how good your clutching is if you fail to respond to potential clients. I filled out the info on your website last fall. still waiting for a responce. ps, still riding stock clutching.

I have send you a message, thanks for bringing that up.
did not have the capacity to answer everyone last year with trying to get business and website going and top it off with a hard drive failure, I had to buy another laptop - lost emails only to have got that hard drive recovered, took the guy 10 months to do it.

if you emailed me then im sure i can find it now as have recovered most of 4 years of emails.

I learned the lesson of backing up the HD every 2nd friday now onto dvd disc.

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
I think a lot of has to do with WHERE you ride. Revy snow is different then "Cascade Cement", and both are different than WY fluff. In my opinon, the "type" of snow is as relevant as elevation.
Ace

I concur.
This is why I don't pay attention too much to comments on track speed observations. I do pay attention a bit but I don't. Have guys from Bozeman saying they can auger through from 29 to 31 mph track speed and say that is good. Guys in WA I frequently hear that kind of track speeds too.
Then there are guys in AK who say 50mph or Revelstoke. In CO at 12000 feet getting 30 to 35 depending on snow setting.
My own running in Revvy last season getting 31 mph on one hill one day and guys saying "not bad at all" so then the question arises "How valid is track speed observations from one area to another?"

W
Apr 12, 2009
Edwards, CO
Hay DJ

Better late than never, That sounds like it was a big pain... I ride around Vail CO. 9-12 k elevation. snow is usualy deep and light. 09 xp 154 stock. what do you have for me? how much of an improvement can I expect.

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
I hope you didnt take my comments as being DJ for the flats and Rooster for the climbs...I simply reiterated the data I semed to find when forum searching...That data seemed to support that the western guys tend to use the Rooster stuff and that everyone else? Uses yours!

I have no qualms in accepting a complimentry killer DJ Mountain kit to compare to my Rooster stuff:D

You guys both seem to have this thing nailed down pretty denred good. Kudos to you Sir!!

Put my first DJ kit on an '07 Rev after getting recommendations from a bunch of other MOUNTAIN riders in WA. Also put 'em on my '08 and '09 XPs as well. Better than stock in throttle response, backshift, engine braking and most importantly maintaining optimal RPMs while climbing. Rooster Built is new, at least to me, but everything I've heard is positive. BTW - I ride the Cascade Crud.

J

JohnnyH

Nov 26, 2007
SL,UT
Let me start off first by saying that I have a DJ Kit in my 09 XP.

Winter brew is a great guy that is willing to offer help any time ( he helped me a lot with my old school polaris Edge)

I was having problems with my XP blowing belts ( Not clutch related, had a defective piston causing low rpm under load and HIGH clutch temps) and after talking to DJ on his website he sent me a new primary clutch spring and Dalton pin kit at no charge just to get me back on the snow.

DJ is a stand up guy and you would not regret spending your money with him.

That being said from everything that I have read you could not go wrong with a Rooster Built (WinterBrew) kit either

My .02

Nothing against DJ's kit but I've had great results with Brews kit. Paul is a very inteligant guy and is great to work with. The main reason I went with his is because we ride in similar areas. With my 154 I was getting in the 50's mph track speed in the deep pow. Also I've never ran against a DJ kit cuz there are only 2 XP's where I ride (I'm on an island). No matter who you choose you will probably be happy and the clutch kit should be a must do on any XP. Good luck. :beer;

Last edited:
X
Nov 20, 2009
Bend, OR
Been lurking for a while on here and finally decided to sign up and give my .02. Call each shop and decide after that. I had it narrowed down to Dynamo Joe and Rooster Built. What made the difference to me was the fact that Rooster Built rides in the mountains as much or more than I do. I am very happy with my choice.

S

smileyz

Oct 18, 2008
Lehi, Utah
I think its a toss up... flip a coin I don't think you'll be disapointed ether way. I ended up going with Rooster Built but I wouldn't hesitate running DJ ether. Give ether one a call and you'll get what you need for where you ride and there both more then happy to help you tweak it to get it perfect down the road as well.

L8Rz,
Mike K.

S

SilverGriz

Oct 22, 2004
Hayden, ID
Rooster Built for me, but as stated above I believe both kits are a vast improvement over stock. My hats off to Paul, Joey and all the other clutching experts for doing the R&D to make our sleds run at their peak performance.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007

I have dealt with Joe for the last couple of years and he has always taken the time to talk with me about his clutching and potential issues with the XP. He never brushes me off and i feel he really takes care of his customers. You have to remember in this business there is so little margin you cannot expect a guy to have a ton of extra resources sitting around answering a million emails. If you did not get a response via email did you consider trying the telephone ?

Props for DJ and his product !

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
Let me start off first by saying that I have a DJ Kit in my 09 XP.

Winter brew is a great guy that is willing to offer help any time ( he helped me a lot with my old school polaris Edge)

I was having problems with my XP blowing belts ( Not clutch related, had a defective piston causing low rpm under load and HIGH clutch temps) and after talking to DJ on his website he sent me a new primary clutch spring and Dalton pin kit at no charge just to get me back on the snow.

DJ is a stand up guy and you would not regret spending your money with him.

That being said from everything that I have read you could not go wrong with a Rooster Built (WinterBrew) kit either

My .02

He helped me with my Polaris too, free of charge, although mine was a Pro-X longtrack. I loved that clutch setup, it fit my riding style well, that's why I'm going with a Rooster Built kit.

I'm sure Joe makes a great kit though too.

Hotshotharry

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
hinton ab canada
My kit is mountain specific. Born and bred in Revelstoke.
It just happens to work great at low elevation too.

If a kit does not climb good...why? did the owner have the correct amount of flyweight? was the engine rpm-ing correctly? running a worn belt? suspension set up properly? are the bushings worn out?

I find it comments like that about any vendor contestable due to lack of insight of what can actually be going on.

I'm somewhat of against this sort of poll which ends up in nothing more than an "opinion contest" with comments based on lack of fact(s).
It could be a challenge for a vendor to not be insulted when reading what is eventually typed with the tuner being the jury after this kind of contest.

So now lets put the shoe on the other foot. The rooster or cudney or big john doesn't quite climb as good. Now what? did the owner have the correct amount of flyweight? was the engine rpm-ing correctly? running a worn belt? suspension set up properly? did the customer review the sled performance with the kit vendor? did the tuner forget to put the swivel washers back on both ends of the secondary spring (i could do a poll just for that question alone)

Another bit of reality is each vendor gets phone calls from a certain percentage of their competitors customers who are questioning the performance of their clutch kit. I get the phone calls, and I know they get the phone calls - I know this because us vendors can chat amongst each other regarding "customers" subject. So now say if my customer calls up paul or john, why did they not call me? If paul or bikeman customer or whoever calls me up, I ask them "have you talked to them about it?.....

Swivel washers on both ends of the secondary spring?????? Please explain Joe-thanks

Premium Features